“Awesome location and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Cathrin

Hotel Cathrin
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Engelberg
“Awesome location and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We arrived to the hotel early (10am) and we were able to check in right away. The room was very clean and equipped with most things you need (TV, shampoo, hair dryer, etc., but no hair conditioner - very minor issue). The beds were also clean though not very comfortable. I think the culprit was the duvet - I always sleep with one but this one makes you sweat like a pig. Wi-fi was not included but the rate for 24hrs access was reasonable (5 CHF). Breakfast was very good considering it was a cold buffet. The only drawback is that there is nowhere to go to get a snack or drink of water late in the evening or very early in the morning. Most shops are closed and there's no vending machine in the hotel. All this means is that you should always make sure you bring some liquids back with you in the room before you turn in for the night. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable on attractions, directions, etc. Most importantly, the hotel is right next to the lifts to go up Titlis! Enjoy Engelberg.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chicogo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Southwell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was a 2nd visit for us; we weren't disappointed. We stayed 10 days at the end of the summer and had a great time. It's a real family hotel, and the Gober family (parents and 3 student-age children) pile into the dining room to eat Dad Gober's food when the guests have gone. We booked via their excellent website, rather than through an agency, and could choose the room we wanted with one of their deals. We paid a supplement for Room 25, with more space, larger balcony, and the best views. It's on the edge of town among hay-fields, but only 6 or 7 minutes walk from train station, restaurants and shops, and 3 minutes from the main cable cars. The breakfasts were filling and varied, with loads of cereals, hams, cheeses, jams, real coffee properly made, etc, and could be taken from 7.30 till 10.00. Dinner was 4 courses, different each of the 10 nights; very well cooked and tasty. They begin serving at 6.30pm and you MUST be sitting down by 7.00, which is rather early. Otherwise it suited us really well.

Room Tip: Ask not to have rooms 12-16 which are on the downstairs passage. Specify that you want a balcony; s...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I was there for 2 nights during the spring. The room was clean but the bathroom very small. To go to the city center I had to walk for about 20/25 minutes. It is very close to the Mt. Titilis. As I had some problem. With the booking with booking.com I have contacted by email the owner and he was very nice to help me.

• Stayed July 2012
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Went three times this winter solely for extended weekend skiing. You can assume the fairness of the general appraisal from the other reviews. Rooms are small and clean and relatively quiet, breakfast is quite modest but fresh, its cost is lower than nearly all others in Engleberg, and, most importantly for my wife and I, there is often last minute availability.

The above typically is enough for me to overlook the lack of security for ski storage (wall of open garage with sign "Be sure to take the right skis" - does not instill confidence). Also be aware that you must make reservations in the morning for dinner. We arrived, tired and hungry, at 5pm on Friday and were denied a place at a table though the dining room was half full by 6:30 when we headed off to the Alpenclub (go there!) for fondue. Lastly, the kind, warm welcome you receive at many family run establishments throughout one's stay is not to be found here. This may not matter to many, but we bring friends and business colleagues and the odd behavior of the ownership really begs them to stay away from the paying clientele. Perhaps it was the admonishment, upun arrival and without a friendly welcome (on our third stay) that our car was not parked properly. Or the poor guy who ignored the breakfast table placard to pay for take away food items with a couple rolls in his duffel that was reprimanded in front of the entire full breakfast room. And be sure not to walk into their empty lounge with an open bottle of your own brew, regardless of what you intend to purchase, or you will suffer more policing and be promptly cast back to the privacy of your own room. As a one-off it might be fine, as a regular customer I'll be going back to the first (and top-rated tripadvisor pick) hotel we visited in Engelberg.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank HDMCtrip
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Hotel Cathrin is perfectly located for the lifts to the main Titlis skiing area in Engelberg - a 5 minute walk in boots and carrying skis! The hotel is family run and suitable for people looking for some peace and quiet.I had the hotel's leisure facilities to myself on both days I used it. The sauna, steam room and plunge pool eased my aching ski legs. Our room was compact - so go with a loved one - but with a generous balcony from which we could enjoy the afternoon sunshine. The restaurants and bars of Engelberg were a short evening stroll away although I don't think the resort is the right place for those who like their apres more than their ski.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

The only positive points of Hotel Cathrin were:
- clean bed
- location is close to the ski lift
If you are looking for the hospitality and comfort of a 3 star hotel you deserve for the room rate you pay, then you need to think further. How much they fulfill the criteria of a 3 star hotel (according to the criteria of Hotelstar Union Europe, whereby Switzerland is a member):
Criteria according to Hotelstar Union (http://www.hotelstars.eu/en/index.php?open=Criteria) and our experience in Hotel Cathrin (we checked in on 18-02-12 and checked out on 25-02-12)
o Reception opened 14 hours : yes.
o If accessible by phone 24 hours inside and outside – I am not sure.
o Bilingual staff (German/ English) – in principle yes
oThree piece suite at the reception, luggage service: yes, you may leave your luggage in the garage/ skies and ski boots storage area. The entrance is unlocked and unguided.
o Beverage offer in the room:No, the hotel do not even provide cups for drinking.
oTelephone in the room: Yes
o Internet access in the room or in the public area: Yes, but not free, it cost 5 Swiss Franc per day. The connection was poor.Irrespective of time of day, the connection fell out every few minutes.
o Heating facility – yes;
o hairdryer – none in sight;
o cleansing tissue: only toilet paper.
oDressing mirror, place to put the luggage/suitcase: Dressing mirror – No; Place to put luggage/ suitcase: yes;
o Sewing kit: None in the room;
o Shoe polish utensils: None in the room.
o Additional pillow and additional blanket on demand: Not sure but none in sight.

oSystematic complaint management system: No. This is my experience: The receptionist and the owner Mr Gobat were unwillingnto accept our complaint. Their immediate response was to argue with us over our complaint. Since they were unwilling to listen, I filed my complaint in Swiss Hotel Association and Swiss Hotel Engelberg respectively. In his email respond to my complaint filed in the later, he offered the same argument as he did verbally during our check out. I responded with a set of question requesting his explanation. He responded in German stating that he will not go into further discussion – meaning he will not answer my questions. I consider it very rude of him to write his last email to me (my response to his email) in German knowing that I don’t speak German (I filed my complaint in English and responded to his email in English). Now is up to the Swiss Hotel Association Ombudsman to investigate and evaluate the case.
Additional information on our experience in this hotel:
- the room is small, uncomfortably warm and stuffy. Though is below 0 celcius outside, we opened our window when we are in the room, the room is still uncomfortably warm.
- The sharp corners of the hanging cupboard beside the beds is a hazard to children and adult.
- If you are less than 180cm in height, the upper shelf of the hanging cupboard is pretty unless and they canalso be a nuisance – you will need a ladder to retrieve you stuff if it get push further into the shelf.
- The sound isolation of the rooms are poor. We (a couple with a 10 year old child) were put in room 14 – on the first floor next to the common area and on a busy corridor leading from the front entrance to the lift and stairs to the upper floors. This is the only access passage from the front entrance to the upper floor. We were constantly disturbed by noises from people using the common area and people walking up and down the corridor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Peklan

Travellers are raving about these Engelberg hotels

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

The hotel room was nice with window opening towards rotair chairlift. Basic brakfast and they charged the child (3 years) breakfast as extra who just took one bread piece :). The attendent were not available at night so my internet voucher was wasted as I was unable to get the adapter for my laptop for the night. Rest it was good 1 night stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family