We spent a 4 nights in the hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom family room which was convenient for us and the kids.
Our room had 2 twin beds joined together and the kids room had 3 beds. There was one bath room with 2 doors with no locks !
The building is old but in good condition. The hotel is rated with 3 stars and the facilities are accordingly.
Now what makes the hotel deserve the higher rating you see on tripadvisor are the following:
- Great location and view in Engelberg
- Super friendly service as the hotel staff will attend to all your needs with a smile
- The garden and play rooms will keep your kids busy after you back in the evening. Giving you time to relax.
The hotel provides super fast Wifi service in all areas. Unfortunately our room was at the end of the corridor and signal was weak.
Breakfast was ok all the basics. Free parking. TV had a few channels showing live feed from cams all around Engelberg and surrounding mountain peaks which helped us a lot in deciding which day to visit the Titlis Peak.
Laundry service was great washing cost was only 15 Franks per laundry bag. You get back the cloths neatly folded on the same or next day.
The room didn't have a fridge and the hotel iron and ironing board are not allowed to be used in the rooms.
We faced only one incident while staying in Engelberg which I think is worth mentioning. There was a train/car accident on the main road (only road) leading to the town which stopped all car traffic and trains from leaving/entering the town for few hours. We felt trapped. But the police were very helpful in explaining the road condition and the hotel informed us when a temp road was opened.
If your planning to go directly to the airport I would suggest leaving early just incase the road gets closed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Although much has changed within the past 100 years - e.g. the new wellness area or the games room for the kids - one thing remains successful: The Charming way of Swiss hospitality. "Extraordinary personal" as we say. May we introduce you to our Hotel Edelweiss: Built in 1901 in the Art Nouveau style, our is offering magnificent views of Engelberg's "angel mountains" from every window. Thanks to the quiet location you are able to profit of relaxing holidays away from traffic in a pleasant surroundings. We love to spoil you in our cozy hotel lounge bar with open fireplace. Treat yourself with one of the various cocktails and the warm atmosphere. Enjoy a creative 4-course-menu with a tasty bottle wine in our dining room with a panoramic view in the mountains. For families Spacious rooms and family apartments, secluded hotel garden, 4 kids' playrooms catering to different age groups - Duplo area, Xbox area etc. Supervised games and handicrafts from 5pm to 9pm for 6 days in winter and 5 days in summer. Special kids' menus, week programme with mountain hut evenings, railways dinners, bike tours and skiing. Kids' shuttlebus to the ski schools. For lovers of Typically Swiss Hotels For over a hundred years now, this quiet hotel has been providing hospitality at 1,000 metres above sea level. The Art Nouveau dining room and antique details bear eloquent witness to a bygone era. However, the compact wellness area and practical family rooms prove that time has not stood still here. The motto of this "outrageously personal" holiday hotel is very evident – no matter whether the programme features torchlight hikes or freeride tours - the hosts are sure to be involved! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MyHotelShop, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Edelweiss Engelberg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edelweiss Engelberg Hotel Engelberg
- Edelweiss Hotel Engelberg