“Over-rated and expensive for the actual meals we had”
Review of Wirtshaus Taube

Wirtshaus Taube
Ranked #41 of 419 Restaurants in Lucerne
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The restaurant itself is very nice, halfway downstairs, somewhat like a cellar with vaulted ceilings.
The service was correct. However the food was expensive for what we had (taking into account the cost of the ingrédients):- The "Chapelbridge Röschti" Swiss hash browns (over-cooked and dry) with bacon, tomato and a fried egg" for CHF26 and the other meal:- home-made pork sausage with an onion sauce and rösti also for CHF26. To top it all, the cheapest open red wine cost CHF32.50 for 5dl!. With 2 coffees on top, we paid CHF100 with the tip included (as the waitress did her job well)

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Located just a few feet from the River Ruess and across from the old town, Taube met our expectations of eating some very good Swiss food. There are many resturarant choices in and around this area. One important review tip that we read was that locals frequented this place. That is a good sign and it was true. We were there on a weekday night during low season and the resturarant was full. We noted many locals speaking German in business attire and meeting friends.
Our meals did not disappoint. My husband had the Pork Cordon Blue and I had the most perfectly seasoned, fresh trout that I have ever eaten. The sweet potato, chili pepper soup was superb! I want the recipe. No dessert for us as we were too full but enjoyed our beer taking in interesting vibe and interesting architecture of small divided rooms with walls and doors that were arched. The chunky wooden furniture added some warmth. There is a small cozy bar area as you enter the restaurant. An option if you have to wait for a table or just want to hang out and immerse yourself in the Swiss nightlife! As far as the price, we are American, we did not feel this was any more expensive than if you had a very good meal at a very good restaurant in the States. When you consider we pay tax and tip, the price comes very close.

4  Thank JAMAClevelandArea
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A traditional Swiss restaurant serving traditional Swiss food in a historic building. And to top it off, at a price that is very reasonable by Swiss standards. The wine was good, and the food was very nice. On top of all of that, the service was great. This restaurant is definitely worth a visit!

1  Thank IBSTours
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Not easy to find wireless at restaurants in Europe, eh? Well, this is one of the good things of Taube! No user, passwords or any other sort of login. The internet is open and free for all guests. Score! 1x0
We were in a group of around 10 people and we would like to try different traditional Swiss food. Guess what? The friendly staff was flexible and combined a few special traditional foods for the whole group, making an exclusive "tasting menu" for us. One more score! 2 x 0
However, when we ordered the beverages I was dreaming with the gluvine (GLÜHWEIN). I had had in other restaurants in Luzern and I was hoping to get it in the Taube too, but they didn't have it... food was okay, but nothing that spectacular... and this is the reason of my "very good" in the overall rating.
If I recommend the restaurant? Yes, of course! And don't forget to order desserts, they were delicious!

1  Thank Cinthia N
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was our favorite meal while traveling in Switzerland. Lots of locals in the restaurant which is always a good sign. I had veal Geschnetzeltes and my wife had duck, and both entrees were fantastic. Like most restaurants in Luzern, it was expensive (though not horribly so), but definitely worth it for a tasty meal!

1  Thank Krivokrasov