“Best lake view”

Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is the hotel with the best view in Lucerne. I like the mix of old and new style, bit of a grand hotel, mixed with art deco style and modern touches. We stayed in one of the penthouse spa suites on the top floor with an outdoor whirlepool. The room was nice, but the whirlepool and terrasse is small and nothing special. I prefer the normal suites (where we stayed on our last visit). The best part is the restaurant on the terrasse with glass walls (can be opened) and beautiful lake view. Good food, Relaxing atmosphere, nice place for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Montana guest

We really appreciate your great feedback on TripAdvisor and we are glad, that you enjoyed the Montana experience again.

Our Scala terrace is very outstanding and you enjoy a pictures view from there.

It would be great to welcome you again soon at the Montana.

Best regards

Your Montana team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed 11 March 2013

This was a most excellent hotel for an art deco afficianado, the atmosphere and service were excellent. The rooms were adequate and clean and the food good. The atmosphere in the bars with the live music was really worth being there for, the view from the dining room unsupassed. Loved the whole stay and appreciated the staff patience while we took many photos. Easy access to the rest of the town and the cable car was fun.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear M Adrienne B

Thank you very much for your superb feedback on TripAdvisor and we appreciate that you took time to write a comment about your stay in our hotel.

With our funicular, which is the shortest in the world, you will reach the lakeshore of Lucerne within 2 minutes – perfect location for all the sights in Lucerne.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again soon and we hope you had a safe journey back.

Warm regards from the Montana

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Wonderful stay. Kind, caring front desk staff. Dinner in La Scala was first rate.

If I'm being very picky, I would suggest... more wine selection, table service where each dish goes directly to the right person without question, more dessert selections...perhaps a signature Montana dessert?

Room Tip: They provide floorplans and videos with 360-views of many rooms. They just need to add a video for t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric2718
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Montana guest

We feel very honored for your great feedback and thank you for writing that on TripAdvisor.

Your suggestions are very helpful for providing even a better service and we have forwarded them to the corresponding department.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again soon.

Best regards from the Montana

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I spent one night at the Art Deco Hotel Montana in February 2013. This was both my first visit in Lucerne and first time in this hotel. I have been very pleased by both of them. Lucerne is a small and lovely city and I better understand why so many Asian tourists (and when I say so many, believe me, it's really so many) stop there. That's exactly what you imagine a Swiss city to be: small, cute, quiet, proper, facing a lake with a great view on the mountains and, of course, full of watch boutiques and chocolate shops. This image is "cliché", I do agree, but that's what you have to expect from Lucerne.

The Montana Hotel is very well located, facing the lake of Lucerne and the view is amazing. I am not entirely convinced by the corridor decoration but it's Art Deco and I totally respect the coherence between the name and the style. The rooms are slightly less art-deco style and are very nice. I highly recommend that you specify you want a room with lake view and, if possible on the 5th floor. Our room (511) had a little balcony. This might not be useful during winter but I'm sure it is amazing during spring or summer when the temperature is good enough for some champagne outside.

The breakfast quality is excellent. In fact, it's more a brunch than a breakfast. And the view from the restaurant room is amazing, especially if you can sit next to the window, admiring the lake. The hotel has also a cool bar, the "Louis Bar". Its art-deco style makes you feel you are back in the 30s and sipping a whiskey or a cognac seems the right thing to do (But you can enjoy champagne too!). The funny thing is that you are allowed to smoke in this bar as it is a "fumoir". Switzerland has become very strict on smoking. It's prohibited in more and more public places. I am a non-smoker and I don't like the smell that much but I muss say there is something quite charming in the fact that you can smoke in this art deco bar.

Last point: the spa is a real spa and not a wellness so no jacuzzi or hammam. We did not try it so I can't judge it.

I have had the opportunity to try other hotels in Lucerne but I would recommend the Art Deco Hotel Montana without hesitations!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mister M
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Montana guest

It is a real pleasure to read your feedback and we are pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for your time to write a comment on TripAdvisor.

The location from the Montana is as you mentioned perfect. With the shortest funicular of the world you reach the lakeshore within 2 minutes.

Your very kind comment is also very appreciated and will inspire the motivation for the entire team.

I would be great to welcome you again soon and we hope you had save journey back.

Montana-Team

Reviewed 8 February 2013

The breakfast buffet is impressive... 25CHF is good value, if not better than good.

The Louis Bar has live piano throughout the evening. One of the two pianists I heard also sung. It's a nice setting, although I was surprised to see guests smoking. I don't recall that from a previous visit to the bar- in May 2011- but I am happy to have this recollection corrected. The number of whiskies behind the bar is just shy of considerable. The bar staff are pleasant, generous, and solicitous.

I stayed in room 204. It had an excellent steel grey lake and snowy mountain view when I was visiting. I imagine the view from the higher floors is even better.

For breakfast elsewhere in Lucerne, Cafe Cesar Bar is worth consideration, at the [Grand] National Hotel. I saw a plate of eggs- perfectly fried- when I was in there for a coffee.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Montana guest

Thank you very much for your kind comment on TripAdvisor and we are very pleased, that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

With over 130 Single Malt Whiskies, the Louis Bar has the biggest and most precious collection in central Switzerland.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.

The Montana team

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The rooms were gorgeous. We got an upgrade and the room was spacious, modern and had all the amenities we could want. Great breakfast and fine dining at night. Good location-you are a walk away from everything. The service was fabulous. We loved Lucerne.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake. The suites are great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gloria M
Sven_Flory, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Dear Gloaria M

It seems like you have enjoyed your stay in Lucerne. We are happy that we could contribute with our service and amenities to your fabulous stay.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 17 January 2013

This hotel was wonderful! The view is incredible, the food is excellent, the coffee is good, and the blanket on the bed is maybe the most comfortable blanket I have ever had. My husband and I got a terrace room overlooking Lake Lucern. The view could not have been any more perfect. We found the staff to be very receptive and helpful. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. All in all a nice hotel worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mellissa B
Sven_Flory, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Mellissa

Thank you very much for your kind and great comment regarding your last stay at the Art Deco Hotel Montana.

We highly appreciate that our guests taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service and the facilities.

Your compliments are a great and intensive motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Montana.

Sven Flory