“Perfect place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Perth, Australia
“Perfect place to stay”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at the Art Deco Montana and we reorganised our trip in order to stay at the hotel to suit room availability. We enjoyed our stay and would have stayed longer if they weren't fully booked.

1 Thank jan2229

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I made this reservation on the hotel's web-site. In the past I have been disappointed upon arrival at a hotel where all we saw was pictures on their web-site and made our decision based on them. This was not the case at the Montana. The moment my wife and I arrived, courteous and professional staff greeted and welcomed us. We upgraded our room to a Jr. Excecutive suite with balcony and view of the city. Wow!! The room was very spacious and comfortable; comfortable beds, robes and slippers were supplied, very spacious bathroom, plenty closet space, and a great balcony. Restaurant was incomparable in itself-delicious food and more beautifully served. The Louie Armstrong bar is a treat. Smoking and non smoking areas are available and appreciated.The staff is the most accomodating I've seen in recent years and seem to truly enjoy their job.

2 Thank Ali188064
montanaluzern, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Dear Madam

It feels so great to read your comment and makes us proud that we could reach, well even exceed your expectations! Thank you very much. Gladly, we will pass your comments on to our staff members.

Do take care and we are looking forward to having you again at the ART DECO HOTEL MONTANA.

Kind regards,

Patric Vogel, Sales & Marketing
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 September 2010

When we came in by taxi, we were a bit worry that should we have to go into town we would either need to call another taxi or to walk down and up the hill. The cable car leading to the street level is a great delight. Montana has given us a real surprise. The room is nice and clean. We enjoyed the Scala very much and had dined there twice during our stay, in stead of going into town. Will certainly recommend the Montana to our friends.

1 Thank kasing714
london
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Loved this place - great food, great rooms, great beds, great staff - highly recommended!

1 Thank paddie1
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is the kind of hotel (or town) you never want to leave! Located at an elevation to the city affording fabulous views of Lake Lucerne and the mountains beyond. There's a private funicular sort of thing to take you to the lake level. Rooms are of a reasonable size with a small balcony facing the lake, the bathrooms in the standard rooms are shower-only and a little small, but perfectly adequate. Free wifi and breakfast make the hotel better value than the price tag (around 300 CHF for a double room) would suggest.
The restaurant has great food, but it is very expensive (like everything else is in Lucerne!).
The hotel is rated 4 star, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay even more for the '5 star' hotels right on the lake like the National or the Palace, though they looked gorgeous too.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank sankar
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Our third trip and it lived up to the previous two. If there is one piece of advice it goes to those who stay half-board through a travel company. The hotel allocates you a table for the duration of your stay, usually away from the window. If you don't like it, be politely persistent and you'll almost certainly get a better table later in your holiday.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wirralians
montanaluzern, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Dear Mister

Thank you a lot for your kind comment. Especially the one to our staff. Gladly we will pass this one on. We are as well happy to read that you are still enjoying it so much every time you spend a holiday at the ART DECO HOTEL MONTANA.

So do take care and we are looking forward to seeing you again on the MONTANA hill!

Best regards,

Patric Vogel, Sales & Marketing
UK
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed in Montana hotel for 2 nights from Sunday, 29/8. Literally, just return from Switzerland less than 12 hours ago.

Overall, my stay was OK, mainly because I did not have a good sleep, but I like the breakfast. Still, it doesn't worth it. - the basic function of the hotel, which is to offer a comfortable sleep has not been right. I don't know why they or the local hotel group gave themselves a 4 and a half star - I think 4 star is maximum for this hotel.

First impression of the hotel is nice, but we travelled by car, so we had to go up a steep hill and parked in a narrow road on the street. Exterior was good classic European style building. Interior was also nice.

Location: it was very close to the centre and I didn't mind walking along the lakeside to the centre for 15-20 mins when it was nice weather. Their second entrance - a funicular railway which leads you to the bottom of the hill is a nice thought for hotel guests.

Breakfast: Great - enough choice and they were nice.

Room: OK, but not as great as in the pictures. Generally, OK, but a little uncomfortable layout of the room because the chairs & coffee table and the desk & chair were just at the bottom of the bed

Facilities:
-Standard for a 4 star hotel, but the bad thing I find was that the cornor for making tea/coffee was dark and they were hidden in a cupboard?? How am I supposed to make tea in a cupboard and in the dark? I had to make tea on the desk instead!
-The biggest complaint I had was the pillows and the temperature of the room, which disturbed my sleep for the whole stay in this hotel! On the first night, I woke up at about 5am because the pillow I slept on was hitting my head hard and also the noise outside woke me up. I couldn't sleep or had poor sleep for only about half an hour since then until breakfast time at about 7:30am! I was soooooo angry when I was awake I felt this hotel really need to address the issue and I really needed to raise the problem to the manager. I thought I paid so much for the hotel stay I could get a nice comfortable sleep, but it wasn't true, and I really had to get a refund for part of my stay! My husband did not have a perfect sleep either because I woke him up too. I told him my poor sleep and he suggested me to use an extra pillow, so I did for my second night. It didn't work well. The pillow compacted to just like about 2cm thick pile of towels. It was not soft enough to support my head and I had a mild neckache too. Ironically, there was a brochure I found saying how good the pillowsare - "the best in the world" - "a dream pillow". We looked into the brand of the pillow we slept on, but it wasn't the ones they mention on the brochure. Even though, we were using the so-called best pillow, I doubt it was as good as it sounded. I was shocked this 4-star hotel has such bad pillows! It happened to me in a OK 3-star hotel, but not a 4-star one.
-Another negative thing about the facilities is that there was no thermo-stat, which controls the room temperature and also no air-conditioning. We had to close the window on the second night as it was noisy on the first night, which disturbed my sleep. However, it was too warm in the room as well as the bad pillows I slept on. I woke up at about 2am on the second night, and about 2 or 3 more times afterwards until 7am because of how uncomfortable I was.

Cleaniness: Good overall, apart from the television area - I saw the remote control for the TV was dusty. The staff had apparently miss it for a few times before I stayed there, if it has ever been dusted at all.

Services: Polite hotel staff in the reception, dining area and in the Louis Bar

Louis Bar: Good atmosphere
-I had a single-shot Gin & Tonic; my husband had a tiny bit of whisky - Ardbeg - the total was about 35CHF - which was too expensive. I know it was in a hotel, but that was a bit too much?

Internet access: they said they have Wi-Fi for hotel guest. They gave us a card with a little instruction of how to get onto the wi-fi. We wanted to use it, but it didn't work on our iPhones. We had to connect to a webstie and choose the correct network, but we did not have internet access. How are we supposed to be able to use the Free Wi-Fi?

Summary: This hotel was good, but it was just too much for everything - it does not worth it. I was expecting a nice and comfortable sleep, but I did not have. I was really wanting to ask for a refund for part of our stay, but my husband said just forget it. At the end, I thought OK we had a nice breakfast and it kind of balanced it out?? Also, we did not have the time really to deal with this. Now, I don't really think so, because it really wasn't worth it. I might write an email to the manager when I find the time. Do I recommend it? This is definitely not the best 4-star I've stayed and they don't deserve that extra half star somebody rated them either.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarolPML
montanaluzern, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
Dear Carol

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a long comment about your stay at the ART DECO HOTEL MONTANA. Thanks to your inputs and ideas we are able to improve our standards.

Sadly we have to read that not everything was as you expected it to be. We understand that you felt angry as having a strong lack of sleep is reducing the energy and happiness of everyone. When it comes to the pillow it might have been that the one you had in your room did not suit your preferences. As you noticed there exists this little brochure where our clients can chose a different pillow in case they do not appreciate the one already having. Wi-Fi exists all around the hotel even for i-Phones and Blackberries.

Furthermore, we would like to inform you that we offer parking spaces on both sides of the MONTANA. If you chose to park your car underneath the hotel there is this already mentioned funicular taking you in 60 seconds to the lobby. The same there if you would like to go to the near city centre. After taking the shortest funicular of the world you arrive by foot in approximately 5 minutes at the centre of the old town.

Nevertheless, dear Carol, we hope that you make up your mind to return back to lovely Lucerne city and give us a second chance to convince you that we really deserve to be a four star superior hotel as it is officially rated by the Swiss Hotel Association.

Best regards,