“A great place to stay!!”

Renaissance Lucerne Hotel
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Austin, Texas
“A great place to stay!!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for several days while in the Lucerne area and enjoyed our stay. While the dining facilities are somewhat limited compared with larger hotels, it was still a great place for our needs. Also of note, it is just a few blocks from the train station, the lake, and lots of attractions. The hotel is off one of the main streets, and while there's really no notable view, the room itself was really nice, comfy bed, etc., as one would expect from Renaissance Hotels! I would recommend this hotel without reservation. We also got a seniors rate, which was very helpful given the cost of everything in Switzerland.

This one, the 'smallest Renaissance Hotel", also provided excellent customer service. My husband had left his passport in a distant hotel/town and while we anxiously awaited its arrival by mail (right up to our departure for home), the hotel staff were exceedingly helpful in communications with the prior hotel and between us when I had to get on the train without him!! They could not have been more gracious!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed in Renaissance Lucerne hotel for 3 nights and it was my best ever experience in all the hotels I stayed in Europe. My husband and I loved the hotel so much. The hotel was extremely clean, cosy and the bed was so comfortable that we found it difficult to wake up to explore the city the next day! It was a mere 5 min walk away from the train station and it was easy to navigate even with heavy luggages. The hotel staff was extremely polite and spoke very fluent English. They were also helpful to suggest places of interests to us. I love Lucerne very, very much. Everything was splendid. Definitely will be back again!

Room Tip: The room I had was directly above the restaurants. It could be a bit noisy as our stay coincided wit...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LynNgCY
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Apparently this is the smallest Renaissance Hotel in Europe (or something like that), and actually, that really lends to its charm. Because there are less rooms, each of the staff members is extremely attentive. The front desk gave us great recommendations on restaurants, helped us to learn the local public transportation, made reservations for us, and helped us to arrange a baby sitter so that my husband and I could go out on a date and feel that our child was left in safe hands. Each morning at breakfast we ended up having such a nice conversation with the woman who was managing the room, and she jumped in and lent a hand when we needed a little extra help with our child. On a scale of 1 to 10, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is a 15.

We were able to get a baby bed for our little one, and the rooms were clean and modern. My one complaint about the experience is that the room was HOT. We went in January and the heat was apparently set by some master control, because we could not find a way to turn it down. We ended up opening our window, which I didn't love doing because the street was pretty noisy below. Otherwise, I would have given them 5 stars.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HaveBabyWillTravel97
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family stayed at the Renaissance Lucerne Hotel and liked it for many reasons. We had three rooms of different sizes so I could see the variety. They upgraded my husband and I to a larger room and it was very spacious. Mostly all positive in our experience. Here are the pros: 1) Very friendly reception as we checked in and throughout our stay. Front desk helped us with suggestions and reservations for dinner. 2) Very comfortable beds - the best on our 3-week European trip. 3) Location - very good. Close to train station and walking to most sights. 4) Very clean and well-kept. Rooms decorated nicely. Liked how the rooms had refrigerator and coffee maker/supplies. 5) The bathrooms were clean and up-to-date.

Everything is so expensive in Switzerland - believe me feeding 7 people (5 of them 16-24 years old) is sometimes overwhelming. I will say even though 3 rooms add up, I felt this was a very good choice and value for Lucerne. The thing that could have made this rating from very good to excellent would have been to have breakfast included. I knew this going in however. We did eat one night at the Mexican restaurant and the food was delicious.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends and family. We appreciated the nice service we were given.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maryhks
Singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotel is about 8 minutes walk from the Lucerne train station and perhaps a 15 minutes walk to the lake. Staff were very friendly and gave me much advice. They had upgraded us, though I'm not sure what's the difference. Still, it was very much appreciated.

Rooms are small but comfortable & cosy. The shower set-up doesn't block the water spray and the bathroom frequently floods. The heat radiator of the neighbouring room and mine gave out such awful noises on separate nights. One call to the front desk and a maintenance personnel was up within 10 minutes.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank babysilve
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Charming hotel! We loved it's great location that is just a few minutes from everything there is to do in Lucerne. The rooms are a little small but beautifully decorated. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Would highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the train station, and within easy walking distance of the lake. As MarriottRewards silver members we redeemed 105k points for our 3-night stay, worth $800 at the advance (nonrefundable) purchase rate. We were upgraded to a nicely appointed (except for the no-privacy glass wall between the room and the bathroom!) large king room with balcony. The check-in rep told us that the windows were double-glazed, and that we shouldn't hear any normal street noise. We didn't. The balcony wasn't large enough for chairs, but we opened the glass doors and used our room chairs, with our little table between us, to eat our take-out lunch or dinner on our own "sidewalk cafe". The bed and pillows were just the right balance of firmness and support. Reciommend an upgrade to the toilet paper!

We never ate at the hotel restaurant, as there were two bakery/sandwich shops within a block on either side of the hotel. If you turned left on Pilatusstrasse and walked past the hotel, that shop had a couple of hot entrees each day during lunch, which were very good. There is a coffee machine on the 2nd floor where we got expresso and cappuchino. We bought some breakfast items at the train station coop before heading to the hotel, as we didn't want to pay 30 franc pp for the hotel breakfast. There was enough room in the little fridge to store some yogurt, cheese and juice.

Staff was pleasant and helpful, and check-out was fast at our early morning departure to catch the train to Zurich for our flight home.

Room Tip: We were wary of a room facing the street, but didn't have a noise problem on the 3rd level. I w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple