“Spoiled by a miserable triviality”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at the Astoria two years ago as part of a tour, but my review at that time seems to have disappeared from Trip Advisor. At that time I found that the rooms were clean, the reception staff average, and the breakfast room layout particularly poor. The bathroom separated from the bedroom by a glass partition was not really to my liking.

There were also power failures one of which was in our room. My main complaint, however, was the provision of ONE sachet of body wash/shampoo to cover a shower on arrival as well as one the next morning. I challenge the hotel to open this sachet whilst showering and have it last for two showers. The offering in this regard was both inadequate and 'cheapskate/miserable'.

I again stayed at the Astoria in June 2014 as part of a tour, having transferred there from another Lucerne hotel. Obviously the hotel access/layout cannot be changed, the room was again clean and of better layout than last time.

Unfortunately, the power failures were replaced by two false fire alarms this time! The breakfast room layout was also much improved but the inadequate body wash/shampoo offering remains. Surely this could be doubled in quantity or upgraded to the bottles provided in every other hotel in Switzerland in which I have stayed.

As implied earlier, if I visit Lucerne again I will stay elsewhere until/unless required to stay at the Astoria as part of a tour.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YM-Mundrabilla
astorialuzern, QUALITY MANAGEMENT at Hotel Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear YM-Mundrabilla,

Thank you for your new feedback on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincere apologies.

Regarding the hotel access we have the challenge that our hotel where built into three different buildings, which can made the connections rather difficult. Unfortunately, the given structure of the buildings currently does not allow an immediate change of the hotel entrance. However, we have noted your useful advice for future rebuild projects.

Once again, we offer our sincere apologies and hope you grant us another chance in order to convince you of our improvements. For a future stay, please do not hesitate to contact our front desk if you need more shampoo or body wash.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Astoria

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I really liked this hotel. The rooms are not over spacious, but they are modern, clean, and very nice. The location is perfect! It's easy to walk anywhere from there and there are many good restaurants and sights to see close by. We loved the roof top bar. What a view! The prices are reasonable for Switzerland too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear worldtravluver,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in Lucerne and look forward to welcome you again by your next trip to Switzerland.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hotel Astoria Lucerne is a relatively big hotel with over 200 rooms. Receptionists at the counter are businesslike in manner with no hint of a smile. For those seeking a personal and friendly service, perhaps a boutique hotel would be a better choice.

The hotel facade is modern but the layout is quite complicated as there are two wings with plenty of corridors to confuse guests. Do get a name card from reception as it features a layout of the hotel on one side of the card.

The rooms we stayed in were clean and of a good size. Bed and pillows were comfortable enough for a good night sleep. Although our rooms faced the road, it was, thankfully, quiet at night. Free wifi, which is available in the room, has to be signed in through google app.

There are five restaurants in this hotel, including a Thai restaurant. As the hotel caters to tour groups, different groups are allocated different venues for breakfast, which is of typical Continental standard - being quite ordinary and nothing to rave about, although sufficient in quantity.

The 24-hour gym is accessible using the room key card. It is located in an obscure corner of the hotel through a quiet corridor and down a flight of steps. It is a small gym with a couple of treadmills, stationary bicycles, elliptical machines and weights. What I don't like about it is its automatic lights which switch off ever so often when it sense that 'no one' is around, even though I was around at another corner. Do visit it with some company if you fear being alone.

The hotel's rooftop bar is a good place to chill out for those seeking some relaxation as it offers views of the mountains.

The hotel itself is located a comfortable walking distance from downtown Lucerne and is a short stroll to the famous Chapel Bridge.

Lucerne, like any other place in Switzerland, is safe and clean - so do spend some time exploring this quaint town with a comfortable pair of walking shoes!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlicePng

Dear AlicePng,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed our rooftop bar and the view of the mountains. Even more, we regret that the reception service could not keep up with.

Of course, this insufficient service does not correspond whit our operating philosophy. In order to prevent this in the future, your feedback has been in the front office team discussed. Regarding the floor plan we have the challenge that our hotel where built into three different buildings, which can made the connections rather difficult. Unfortunately, the given structure of the buildings currently does not allow an immediate change. However, we have noted your useful advice for future rebuild projects. In addition, we thank you for your important advice about the light by the gym. We will check the situation with our company technician to improve the situation whenever possible. Once again we thank you for your feedback and would be pleased to welcome you again soon at the Hotel Astoria Lucerne.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

As mentioned in earlier reviews this was a big disappointment to end our 10 day tour. Maybe because we were booked through a tour operator the rooms we were assigned were on the low end, but the price paid deserved much better. Our room was on the first floor, right off the lobby and between the lobby noise and the street noise the room was unacceptable. There was a sound-proof door to the lobby but it was always left open and I had to get up a couple times in the middle of the night to close it. Although the room was clean and modern, the amenities amounted to a packet of shampoo and a couple of glasses. The breakfast buffet was a joke and a waste of time. I have not traveled extensively throughout Europe, but the one thing I usually can rely on is the wonderful breakfasts in the hotels; not this one. For the business traveler this might be an OK hotel as there are several restaurants and bars on the premises and maybe the rooms in the other tower are quiet, but stay away from the rooms right off the lobby. I personally do not recommend this hotel for the vacation traveler and will not stay here again. I will give the Hotel Astoria a high rating for location, it was in easy walking distance to the center of town, lake, railway, etc.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms in the area off the lobby near main entrance, very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
astorialuzern, QUALITY MANAGEMENT at Hotel Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Greg_Wy,

Thank you for your stay at the Hotel Astoria. Regarding the breakfast it seems that a lot went wrong. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. We have already informed our Food & Beverage department in order to improve the quality in the future. However, your feedback will help us to improve and question our services constantly. So we thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for 2nights, chosen by our tour operator, newly renovated rooms, average breakfast, clean and average size rooms. good location, staff not knowledgable in the area, free wifi, overall a nice place to sleep in

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeffrey168,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. Good to hear that you enjoyed our new renovated room, our free Wi-Fi and the central location. Once again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again here in Lucerne.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here with a tour group for the final 2 nights of our tour of Switzerland. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of all the sights. Room was clean and well set out but the double glazing did not block out traffic noise or noise from the bar area at ground level. Bathroom was a good size and clean. Everything was reasonable until we went upstairs for breakfast on our first morning. What a disappointment!! For a start we were seated in a large open room, similar to a school cafeteria with lots of rows of tables and chairs. The room was very drab. There were at least 3 other busloads of tourists staying in the hotel. The real disappointment hit when I moved to the breakfast buffet....what a joke! There was very little choice. The cooked items looked as though they had been sitting there for hours. There was a mound of badly cooked bacon and very dry looking scrambled egg. The bread had all been pre-cut, sometime before, so it was also dry. Tea was tasteless and lukewarm as it had also clearly been sitting in the pot for some time. It was the first time out of all the many hotels we had stayed in throughout Europe that I felt I was going to go hungry. This breakfast really gave me the feeling that nobody in the kitchen cared about what they presented to us. Luckily I was able to find some fresh fruit. Considering the size and star rating of this hotel they need to think very carefully about what they offer to tour groups for breakfast, because at the end of the day, the tour groups are the hotel's "bread and butter"!! My husband and I had much better breakfasts offered to us in very small 3 star properties when we were travelling alone around Europe! I guess I should count myself as lucky when I think about what wonderful breakfasts we were offered in all of the other tour hotels we stayed in! The Astoria needs to lift its game in regard to breakfast offered to tour groups. Afterall, we are still paying customers. I was not the only disappointed member of our tour group. Many of us complained to the Tour Director and the tour company and perhaps they will need to consider staying elsewhere in Lucerne. On the second morning, we had to step over broken glass etc strewn on the floor of the night club area to get to the breakfast room.If I had to rate this property solely on the breakfast I would give it one star/terrible.

Room Tip: Try to avoid anything near 7th floor and ground floor due to very noisy bar and night club.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Corinne1953

Dear Corinne1953,

Thank you for your important feedback. It is feedback such as yours that helps us to improve our service and quality. Regarding the breakfast it seems that a lot went wrong. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience. We have already informed our Food & Beverage department in order to improve the quality in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My recent trip to central Europe included stays at 7 hotels. The Hotel Astoria was the best one.

My room was extremely spacious and had a very modern floor design and furnishing. The Internet was fast and reliable. The television had a nice variety of channels (I could even choose whether to watch the World Cup with British or German announcers).

Per the Swiss norm, the room was extremely clean, as were the grounds in general. The shower in the spacious bathroom was excellent; it included a wide overhead rainfall-like shower head as well as a detachable sprayer.

The breakfast buffet was good. I enjoyed the fresh-squeezed orange juice, croissants, eggs, and sausages.

The hotel was in quick walking distance to the Chapel Bridge and the Altstadt.

Finally, the front desk staff was very gracious and held my luggage for several hours after I checked out to accommodate my day of touring Lucerne before catching an evening train.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear TravelingBadger00,

Thank you that you share your great feedback with the whole world. We are happy to hear that we could convince you with our new renovated rooms and furniture. We will gladly pass your compliments to our service and reception staff.

All the best to you and we really hope to welcome you again by your next trip to Switzerland.