“Great location, brilliant service”

Continental-Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
grayshott
“Great location, brilliant service”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Trying to find a hotel in Luzern was not easy. There were quite a few of them in our price range and we wanted somewhere within walking distance of the wedding venue but not right on top of the train station. This hotel provided both (although more by chance as a lot of the distances given, from station and town centre, seemed somewhat misleading)

The hotel was remarkably easy to find and was literally a 3 minute walk form the station....and no, we didn't hear any trains coming and going through out the night. Although the main touristy bit of the town was on the other side of the river (about a 5 min walk) this side had some great bars and a few good clubs to go to.

The hotel itself was modern and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful, resolving our problem of a twin bed instead of a double quickly and efficiently. The hotel had a good bar and restaurant. The breakfast service was second to none.

I would definately go back here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I thought this was a very good hotel. Loved the location, not even a block from the train station. As the other reviewers mentioned, though, you wouldn't even know it based on the sights or sounds. Everything is a 5 minute walk away (and I'm a slow walker). Modern hotel, but my room had some nice old molding on the ceiling. Breakfast had everything you could want, I think, including eggs prepared to order. My view was of a park across the street and I could see a mountain in the background. Room size was small based on American standards, but fine in Euro standards. My room had a walk in closet, though, which created a lot more space. Bathroom freshly remodeled and nice and clean. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Amerikaner im Schweiz
Reviewed 21 August 2009

There are many subtle changes I appreciate as a business-type traveller, this time on my third visit since 2006. The original rooms were efficient, clean and very comfortable, and I was surprised to learn my room would be renovated by the time of my current visit.

The new decor is simple, understated, and not dazzling to the eyes. I particularly like the lighting and the fact that you are using efficient bulbs and colored lighting is especially nice. It is convenient to be able to turn off all lights in the room from either side of the bed. Electrical outlets are well placed for charging a cell phone or iPodTouch at bedside.

The closet storage is an act of genius. Everything I brought had its place. There are enough hangers for pants and shirts/jackets. I liked the summer blanket in the closet; I used it nightly. The safe is a nice bonus. The LED lighting next to the refrigerator is good for a night light. There is enough shelf space and enough space to store my luggage out of sight.

The improvement in using the I-1394 hook-up for DSL internet connection without having to 'open' it with the television is appreciated; it makes hook-up simpler and extremely easy. The service is also blazingly fast, almost like lightning, better than I have at home and work. I can send my photos anywhere in a few seconds over the internet.

The HotSpot (Swisscom) works perfectly; I used it with my iTouch while in bed and the cost is small for a week-long card (CHF 45).

The bathroom is exceptionally successful. It is far safer to have a level floor that requires no step up into the shower, which is an improvement for either someone with hip disease, arthritis, or simply poor balance. I have this at home. Genius! I was always just a bit careful in the older style room. The fact that the shower water empties into a full width drain going downhill is very nice. No water ends up on the bathroom floor; that was a significant problem in the older bathroom. More importantly the carpeting in front of the entry door no longer gets wet. Bravo. The bathroom is nicely outfitted with hooks for a travel bag, a fixed bottle opener for use with the mini-bar and shelving to store personal effects. The towels are highly absorbent.

I particularly like the firm bed (I need a stiff bed for my back). The simplicity of the blankets and bathroom towels makes the maid service extremely quick and simple and the quality of the materials is excellent. The pillows are supportive. The draperies are easy to use and very effective. Almost no light enters the room even at midday with the dense blind drawn. The desk space if generous and the television is again excellent. There are 3 English speaking stations (CNBC, CNN World, Bloomberg).

The chairs are more comfortable than before though very different from what was in room 205 for the two years I stayed there. They are not easy to move without lifting them but that is not a big deal.

The air conditioning is excellent by European standards.

The room is a 'smart room' in that your credit-card sized key offers security in the elevator and turns on the power in the bedroom except for the television, which functions independently. Little power is wasted when one is not in the room.

Bellini is as good an Italian restaurant as is available in the area; the meals are reasonably priced by Swiss standards. The breakfast offered to hotel guests is diverse and impressive, and is served far enough late in the morning to permit travellers recovering from jet lag to be able to enjoy it. The Weisswurst is particularly fine.

The immediate area of the central train station and KKL (site of most events of the Lucerne Festival are less than a 5 minute walk which has always been my goal. All major services (market, dining, shoe repair, bookstore, CD store, internet cafe, pharmacy, train and travel bureaus, bakeries, newsstands, banks/ATMs, camera stores and additional restaurants are within 5-7 minutes walking distance without, literally, crossing a street. The underground escalators can be used, especially helpful if it is raining and you left your hotel room without an umbrella.

Despite being 300 feet from the side entrance to the train station, one cannot hear a train or feel a train in the hotel building or bedrooms.

In short, I fail to come up with a way to make this a better experience. The value for the available flexibility of the room is very high, and it is so good that it would keep me from going to a hotel and spending CHF 450 for a room that doesn't function anywhere near as well.

So, in short, the room is a hit! The hotel remains a hit, five stars. Right on target. A hard job to think through, but nevertheless extremely successful. The room rates are
entirely appropriate and reasonable for the available services.

I will be returning for another Festival next year, I hope, and I will stay again at this fine, modern, clean, friendly establishment.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2009

This is my first trip advisor review. I thought since I read reviews on this site religiously I should write one myself.

This hotel is just a block from the train station (side entrance). The reception staff was very friendly. The room was small but the beds comfortable. The bathroom was also small and the shower had the best water pressure I had experience in a hotel, however, the placing of the shower head (which is a removable from the wall) was quite strange. It hugged one side of the bathtub and was quite low. It would be a perfect height for someone that was 5'4"ish. However, with that said I still had a great shower.

The hotel is near the tourist attractions just not on the main water front "drag" but was a five minute walk to all of those restaurants/bars.

I did not experience the hotel restaurant so I can not comment. However, I did eat the free continental breakfast for two mornings. It had a variety of cereals, breads, juices, soft and hard boiled eggs. You could also ordered scrambled or fried eggs if you like. There were cheeses, fruits etc. The food was good and it satisfied me until far into my day. A free meal in Switzerland is hard to come by and food is SO expensive that I recommend the continental breakfast whenever you can!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DLMO
London
Reviewed 4 August 2009

There are many hotels in Lucerne and we orginially wanted to stay in the centre of Lucerne near Chapel Bridge. But the cost of some of the river side hotels was far too much for us so we opted for this hotel. It is a 4 star hotel situated about 5 minutes walk from the old town and Chapel Bridge etc. The location of this hotel is perfect - no more than a 5 minute stroll from the train station. You may think noise and pollution associated with a train station is a big turn off, don't worry, you wouldn't even know that the station is there, you cannot hear a thing. There is a Migros (like a tesco/sainsburies mini store) just by the hotel which is really well stocked for supplies should you need them before you take the obligitory boat trip on the Lake. (Go to Weggis)

It was very quiet and suited us being a short distance from the crowds. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and the breakfast had everything that we needed and we found that the breakfast WAS restocked while we were there so plenty of croissants to go around and fruit, cheese, cereals, meats, breads, yogurts, fresh fruit juices........

Another bonus was a new bar that opened just around the corner - serves a wide selection of drinks and cocktails! I was concerned about the noise when we left for bed but we didn't hear a thing! We would defintely use this hotel again if in Lucerne. Look no further, we slept well, ate well and enjoyed our brief 2 night stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonFussyTraveller
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Stayed there from July 12 to 14, 2009 and liked it. The hotel is located next to the Central Train Station with easy access to the most visited parts of the city. Good breakfast. On a 1 to 100 scale I would give this hotel an 80.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 June 2009

On our recent trip, we decided to spend one night in Luzern for a special birthday dinner. What a shock. It was the Luzernfest and there were 100,000 in the streets. Luckily, the very sweet woman who checked us in went in to great detail about the areas to avoid, how to get around crowds, find a table, etc. I wish we would have eaten at the hotel there, as they at least have a large smokefree area. I had to leave the restaurant we chose before finishing because of chain smokers at the next table. Luckily, the next day was quiet and we were able to enjoy the city! The hotel is so convenient, yet very quiet with no traffic noise or hall noise. The a/c was a real perk. Staff here was excellent and the breakfast buffet was well stocked by Swiss standards- believe me, I know! There were newspapers in many languages available and 2 computers for internet access at a reasonable rate. The rooms were clean and comfortable and we were pleased to have stayed in such a restful spot. We stayed in many cozy, historic type or B&Bs on this trip, but for this occasion, a modern, convenient hotel sure fit the bill!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple