We stayed at the Grand Hotel National for 6 nights in July 2011. This was part of a nine-week European trip where we stayed at 12 hotels (primarily 5 star). We almost always stay at Four Seasons Hotels when available and our review should be seen in this light. Sadly, the Grand Hotel National does not come close to the quality and service levels provided by FSH, yet their prices are not much less.
There is lots to like about this hotel, which I will get to in a moment. Sadly, there are a couple of key negatives. The first is that the walls are PAPER THIN and you can hear everything in the rooms beside and above you. We unfortunately had neighbours who did not appreciate this and had the pleasure of hearing their TVs and conversations well past mid-night on 4 of 6 nights. If this sort of thing bothers you, then definitely stay elsewhere. Another negative (though this is more minor) is that the hotel is very impersonal. Much of the hotel is being converted into residences so there is a disjointed feel about the place and very few staff around. The only people you see are the front desk staff who, while very young, were exceptionally helpful and friendly. Other negatives: no concierge services, no exercise room (you have to pay 25 euros to use a nearby facility) and very late housekeeping (we came back at 4 pm on two days to find that our room had not yet been cleaned).
So what's there to like about the Grand Hotel National? We had a lake view room on the third floor. The room was large, bright and had fabulous views of the lake. We also had a very nice balcony. The furniture was nice and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was not large but comfortable. The shower and bathtub were a single unit. The location is great and is an easy walk from the main train station and old town. As mentioned, the front desk staff are friendly and helpful.
1. It is an easy walk from the train station to the hotel. The walkway is wide and smooth.
2. Breakfast is 35 euros per person. It is very good and included eggs. Our 12 year old daughter ate for free so it was good value. There are also lots of places near the hotel for breakfast.
3. Free wifi, although concavity was spotty. When it was fully functional, the download speeds were excellent.
4. There are four restaurants in the hotel, each run independently. We had two dinners and a lunch at Padrino, and all three were excellent. During busy periods, you will need reservations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We endeavour to cater to your every wish by offering sophisticated, personalised service and a sense of hospitality embodied by every member of the hotel staff.The blend of tradition and modernity in our hotel is beyond compare. Inside, the legendary names of the founding fathers, César Ritz and Auguste Escoffier, the elegant neo-renaissance and new baroque architecture and a history stretching back almost 150 years come face to face with contemporary design and sophisticated flair.Our Grand Hotel has it all: luxury accommodation for the most fabulous holidays, the ideal place for social occasions, a springboard for travelling, a gourmet destination, an environment for inspirational events, a mirror of the world... and within our four walls, a lively, very welcoming microcosm.Indulge yourself in Lucerne! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hotel National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Lucerne