Grand Hotel National
US$237
US$361
US$249
  • Restaurant
All reviewslake lucernejunior suiteold townstunning hotellarge batha city view roomstar servicetrain stationoverlooking the lakefresh fruittravel agentsitting areaperfect locationfree upgradenespresso machinetown centreair conditioner
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I found out after I stayed at this hotel that the city view rooms are not air conditioned. When we checked in and the front desk person took us to our room she said the room had AC. She even showed us how to turn it on. We found out after that its just recirculated air. Apparently the small print says the city view rooms dont have AC. When you spend $500 a n ight you would never think that. Even the lobby and the bar were uncomfotably hot. We had to open our windows and listen to the traffic all night. My suggestion is to get a lake view but you will pay the price for sure.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank builderlenore
Nina S, Manager at Grand Hotel National, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Lenore

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us your feedback about your stay at the GRAND HOTEL NATIONAL.

As mentioned in your comment it is correct, that all our lake view rooms are air conditioned and all our city view rooms are equipped with an air circulation system.

This year we had an exceptional hot Summer in Switzerland and normally in our latitudes it is unusual that even in Summer the temperature exceeds the 35 degrees mark. Therefore in the city view rooms, where the sun is not shining directly on, the air circulation sytem is often sufficient, unfortunately, not on the dates when you have stayed with us.

We would be happy to welcoming you back again to Lucerne and wish you a nice autumn.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff was extremely helpful and friendly! Room was very spacious and had wonderful view of the lake and mountains. Yes the meals were a little pricey but anywhere in Luzern is the same way. Front desk staff was great at suggesting things for us to see and making dinner reservations for us.

I could find nothing to complain about for this hotel. You get what you pay for and it was worth every cent. Would return again in a flash.

Thanks for making our time in Luzern very enjoyable!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nina S, Manager at Grand Hotel National, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear travel198060

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great feedback about your stay at the Grand Hotel National.
We are very happy to hear, that you have enjoyed your time with us, especially the view and our concierge services. Our staff knows the region well and is always happy to help finding a secret spot in Lucerne!
We hope to welcome you back to Lucerne soon and wish you all the best!

Kindest regards from the Grand Hotel National Team

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Yes the Grand Hotel is a beautiful hotel in a perfect location. Are stay started perfectly with a wonderful young lady helping us. The room was not ready but they helped with the storage of our luggage. When we returned from a tour our luggage was in our room.

No where is it stated that the city view rooms are not air conditioned. In small print it reads that the lake view rooms were. We called down stairs and were informed that there was a remote control to use for air conditioning in our room. they even sent some one to show us how to work the system. My wife and I then went to the front desk where we met the rude evening manager who started off with the remote until he realized where are room was. He then explained that city view rooms do not have air conditioning. They did not have any rooms to move us to so we opened the windows. It was very noisy as our room was right next to the Casino

Pretty hotel that needs to more truthful and forthcoming with its customers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Henry N
Nina S, Manager at Grand Hotel National, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Henry N

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and your reservation at the Grand Hotel National Lucerne. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us in fact of the missing air condition.

As stated in the hotel description in our confirmation as well as on the internet platforms all our lake facing rooms have air conditioning and all our city view rooms are equiped with an air circulation system only which works as a fan in the room. Unfortunately, we were not able to change you to one of our lake view rooms due to the fact that we were fully booked in that category. We apologize for the misunderstanding with the evening manager that he did not realize that you had a city view room with air circulation system.

We hope to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel National and stay at your entire service for any further information.

Kindest regards from your Grand Hotel National Team

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed only for 3 nights but I enjoyed the open and hospitable character of this hotel. The room was a lake view double and was very nicely appointed and quite spacious with a desk & sofa. The bathroom was large and clean and had a full suite of furnishings. The shower was a typical European 'shower on a stick' thing with the half glass door but manageable and efficient. The access to it through a short corridor containing a closet and safe was very nice and served as a separation between the 2 rooms.The view was good allowing me to see the whole harbor and lake as far as the water was visible. Upon check-in I was greeted efficiently offered a drink and escorted to my room. Explanation of how things worked, including complimentary Wi-Fi, were comprehensive. There were a few comp. goodies along with wine on the table and of course, the mini bar stocked to capacity with overpriced munchies! There was a separate and controllable split AC unit above the front window which was a very nice touch compared to some hotels on our trip. The turn-down service was excellent and the room was made up as soon as we left. The breakfast was very good and the dining area comfortable and attractive. We ate dinner only once there at the 1871 on the front patio overlooking the walkway and lake. It was a bit slow but good food and pleasant service. We would have eaten there again but decided to try other locations to get a good feel of the area. I would certainly stay again but as others reported, it's not cheap!

Room Tip: Low floor lakeside rooms are good. might be worth asking about AC in the summer.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike970

Dear Mike970

It was our great pleasure to welcome you to the Grand Hotel National and we thank you very much for your fantastic feedback about your time with us.

We are more than happy to read that you liked your spacious room overlooking the lake as well as our friendly service and the open and hospitable character of our Hotel. Your compliments were already forwarded to our staff.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you again to Lucerne and in the meantime we wish you a great summer.

Warmest regards from Lucerne

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

The service in this hotel is horrible. I know the world has changed and you can't expect the same standard of Swiss service you could experience ten years ago, but this hotel reaches an entirely new level. When I arrived there was nobody to greet me and help me up the stairs with my luggage, I had to wait a kind time at the reception while the employee was chatting to his manager while pointing at some post card, I could not charge my computer in the room as the power socket was not working properly, on the last day I asked to call a taxi for me, which they forgot to do so nearly missed my train, my bill had mistakes in it, and nobody helped me with my luggage to the taxi. So my question is - is it in any way meant to be acceptable for CHF 550-something francs a night to have this level of service!?!? Call me a snob, but I totally think it should not be.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Ilya K

Dear Ilya K

First of all we thank you for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor and are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us at all.

Our porters are always more than happy to assist our guests with their luggage. Unfortunately, in busy times it can happen, that none of them is in front of the hotel. Currently we are already working on a solution.
Regarding the chatting employee you mentioned we like to inform you that this was not one of our manager. After investigation we found out that it was one of our guests who needed some assistance with his flight arrangements. We are sorry that you had to wait longer than usual for your check in.

Unfortunately, we did not have the information regarding the not working power socket in your room until your review on Tripadvisor and could not solve the problem while you were inhouse.

We assure you, that we will investigate your check out procedure (the organisation of your cab, the wrong billing and the missing assistance with your luggage) with our department head in order to improve our services for the future as it doesn’t match our quality standards.

We stay at your entire service for any further information and questions.

Kindest regards from Lucern