“No soul and awful service”

Seehotel Hermitage Luzern
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 30 August 2011

What a disappointment! By booking this positive evaluated hotel we though of having made an appropriate choice, but it was a serious mistake. A part from the breathtaking view form the terrace restaurant and from our Deluxe room, there were very little to make us happy: zero air conditioning in the sleeping room, no balcony and pale corridors.
We ate at night at the restaurant, which was an average experience: not too bad but nothing exceptional either. The breakfast offers a large range of good food, but be aware that you will get only a continental breakfast if you come after 10 am!
Poor service in the whole hotel, something we rarely experienced before: as we arrived at 8pm we had an icy welcome (the ladies at the reception-desk did not even ask if we had a good travel), no explanation about the hotel, nobody to take care of our luggage and no help to go with us to our rooms: the only thing we got was a rude order to fill in
our arrival form. Once we wanted to go to the Rigi in the late afternoon and we were told that it was not possible so late: by chance we checked by ourselves and noticed that it was possible to return by train from the top of the mountain even at 22.40 pm! These two exemples show how little professionnal the staff is. Unluckily, this was the typical behaviour we met during our stay. There were enough staff members everywere, mostly very joung people, but nobody felt responsible for something. Don't expect human beings at service but automatic machines (without precision)!
Aperos organised for external groups at the lobby and in the bar make you feel like a stranger in the hotel where you are staying. No tracks of management , no spirit, nobody who take care of you, just the impression to be a number. Rarely did we meet such impersonal service and we cannot understand the positive reviews on Tripadvisor.
We loved the Luzern region, which is one of the most attractive all over the country. We will definitively choose another hotel next time and recommend other houses to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Like much of Switzerland this hotel seems expensive for the English. However, I still felt I had got very good value for money and was actually better than my expectations. I booked it via the hotel's own website and with one of their special packages I got a much better deal than was available on hotels.com or booking.com, which I often use. The hotel is in a lovely position on the lake and the junior suite had a secluded balcony and a wonderful view over lakes and mountains. It was even possible to lie in the bath and look out at the lake. The staff couldn't have been more helpful both at reception and in the restaurants, and the food was excellent (best gazpacho soup I've ever had) and breakfasts terrific. I stayed 2 nights and it was a memorable experience because of both the hotel and Lucerne itself which is a quick (and frequent) bus ride from outside.

Room Tip: Book through the hotel's own website for the best package deal site
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Stayed there with the family with 2 young kids and had a very nice experience. Our room and the whole hotel was very pretty and clean. The clean design and modern architecture that includes large windows everywhere, facing the breathtaking lake and mountains view, brings out the serene atmosphere of the area (all other reviewers have already described the views so nothing to add on my part).
The staff were very friendly and helpful. They gave the kids a little surprise gift on arrival and assisted with all of our too many requests.
They also have bikes that you can loan for free which you can ride along the lake and maybe into town. We rode to the nearby Museum of Transportation which is a must see for anyone with any interest in trains, airplanes, cars etc it's also great fun for kids with special activities for the little ones.
The hotel pier happens to be a "bus stop" for a taxi boat that crisscrosses the lake and eventually gets to the city. It runs by every hour or so and is fun hop on and off.
If you want to go to town you'd be better off taking the bus which runs much faster and is also much cheaper.
It is important to emphasize that the hotel is not in the center of Luzern, if this is what you're looking for. it's about 10 mins away by bus or car.
In addition, the current exchange rate of the CHF to USD makes everything in Switzerland very expensive and this lovely hotel was no exclusion. We will be back and highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Let me preface this by saying that I generally don't give poor reviews, because I trust my fellow tripadvisor travelers. This was the first time I was let down by the reviews and by a hotel I selected based on them.

I also want to qualify my review by saying that if the hotel were reasonably priced, rather than priced as a 4 or 5-star, I would definitely stay there. But for a hotel of such "high" caliber, I expected a lot better, and I honestly walked away from the weekend feeling like I'd wasted a lot of hard-earned money.

The room was clean and the hotel staff was nice enough. The view from the room was also beautiful, although there was no balcony from which to enjoy it. My major complaint was the lack of air conditioning, and the bug infestation that accompanied it. Because it was hot outside and the hotel has zero air conditioning, we had to leave the windows open. During the day, that's not a problem, but at night, it just brought TONS of bugs, because they're attracted to the light. Our only options were to open the windows and try to ignore all the bugs, or close the windows and sweat like crazy. (There was a little fan in the room, but it didn't do a whole lot to alleviate the heat.)

Like I said, it's an OK hotel. But it's not a luxury resort as it's priced to be. I felt like I was ripped off and wish I had gone to a less expensive hotel--one with air conditioning!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Hotel outlook is tasteless but the room is fine though not exactly our taste. The welcome dinner was served at a semi open space that sun set was romantically went by before us, coupled by the rightly served portion of wine.
The balcony was a perfect spot to dine privately in our room overlooking the lake, but don't start it before 7:30pm because the setting sun and its reflection are too spiky to the eyes.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in this hotel in a "junior suite". The hotel has great location: 4-5 km from Luzern center and outside of touwn enough to feel like in a resort. All rooms has lake view. The junior suite is just a little bigger than a normal room and (important) has balcony.
If you want to have a 2 or 3 nights stay, go directly on the hotel website- they have packages cheaper than booking on internet sites. The packages have breakfast included, and welcome dinner etc ... really good.
The room cleaning is Ok. The furniture/decoration is more IKEA like, with too much white (looks a bit like a premium hospital room; not really my taste), but the view from balcony is absolute fabulous. Across the lake you see the big mounrtain Pilatus. The breakfast is good, fresh orange juice, somon fumee, yoghouts, croissants, various types of bread, fruits and compots etc... really good. Hotel personnel are very very friendly.
Evening dinner is a pleasure as you can a have a teriffic sunset over the lake view.
Parking is 10 CHF per day (equivalent of aprox 9 euros/day). They have FREE wireless Internet- thank you Hermitage Hotel, working good enough.
On the balcony they have a round table and 2 chairs(not so comnfortable) but one evening a put them face to face, took the spare blaket and pillow and slept on the balcony till around 3 after midnight. The air is so fresh that you would not like going inside anymore.
No pool but they offer a nice green area with beach beds where you can make sunbathing. The water is no warmer than 20 degrees which is too cold for a normal person ( so honestly although they invite you swimming in the lake) I didnt see anybody doing it).
They dont have aidco. But in my opinion is not needed especially with the window wide open. very few mosquitos I saw, Anyhow my room had pluged an anti-mosquito device so zero problems from this respect..
You can go in Luzern center harbour, where you can rent a small motor boat (max 3-4 persons) or a camaran (up to 8 persons) which can be driven by yourself without driving permit. Boat was 67 CHF per hour and 100 CHF returnable guarantee.
I drove the small boat for 3 hours and it was excellent. |(till the middle of the lake took 1,5 hours).
If you go there for the lake (so no business, or others) you shoud rent a car and drive along the lake. (convertable car is recomended. i had). It was the best feeling I ever had: superb views(one side lake, the other side mountain) + sunny weather+ fresh grass smell+ music+ mountains air+ nice villages, terraces etc.
I definatelly will return in that region. You should visit: weggis, Vitznau, brunnen (where I found next to the harbour a terace-restaurant with an incredible view over the lake and big mountain).

Room Tip: check on the hotel website their special offers (junior suite)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We got a Jr. suite overlooking the lake - very nice. But upon check in, they informed us that there would be a wedding there, that it might be noisy, and that we could let them know if that was the case. So....what were they going to do? Shut down the wedding? Move us two rooms over? Lame. As it turns out, it was loud (they had a dance party with all the lame wedding music you could imagine directly over our heads).
The room was nice. The location was good. The staff didn't tell us anything about parking (don't pay in the machine on the way in and out - ask them to take care of it for you - you'll save like 50 CH over a couple of days), also, when we asked them if breakfast was included in our reservation (we couldn't remember what it said online) they said yes, but oh, they didn't bother checking. So, that was 25 CH per day, per person.
Also, if you're the active sort, go outside for your workout. It's gorgeous there, and their gym is more like a hothouse. No working fan or AC, no staff to help out.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple