“Great location and quite homely!”
Review of The Tourist Hotel

The Tourist Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights for a single room and shared bathroom. I was expecting a bunk bed and a very tiny small room but the room was actually spacious and had two twin beds (although I was traveling by myself). They gave me the 5th floor with a view of the river. It was really beautiful and pleasant. The shared bathroom was clean and always maintained, although the lights can be a little dim but it was fine. It was also quite too.

The staff(s) was/were very friendly and they sell tickets at the desk which saved me a lot of time and hassle. They sell tickets for Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis and maybe more. Since I have Euro Pass, they sell it to me with 50% discount. They were very helpful in giving the direction in where to catch the boat/train and the schedule of those. I almost felt like I was living there (haha). I really enjoyed staying in this town.

They also have housecleaning service. I'm glad they didn't throw any of my water bottles!

They didn't really touch any of personal items and just replaced my used towels and arrange my bed. I could say that this place is also reasonable price too for Swiss standard! I paid 233 swiss francs for 4 nights! That is very reasonable for the location, view and service they provide!

Great location from main station, grocery store, flea market, old town and great view!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Theresa_Imperial

Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Spent a very pleasant night here. The room was beautiful and modern. Especially the bathroom. We had a garden view but the river view would have been much better. The free breakfast was great and the staff very friendly and helpful. They even saved us s bundle on tour prices. Downside - it's Switzerland and everything is really expensive. It was one of the better rooms we stayed in during our recent European trip, but at a price 75 - 100% higher than other countries. I loved Luzern and would love to stay longer if more affordable.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a stay at the hotel that included a suite with kitchen, and small garden area. We were greeted warmly and escorted to our room. We had a full kitchen for which we made simple meals so we could relax. The hotel also provided a free breakfast and provided free wireless. Excellent location within walking distance of shopping and attractions.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Well all I can say is that it was one of the nicest experiences I have had. I have stayed in 5* hotels but nothing beats a hotel if you have unbelievable personnel in reception who arrange anything you want including your washing! If we needed Mt Titlis tickets they sold them to us, told us where to catch the train etc. The same when visiting Mt Rigi - we never had to worry about anything as they told us everything we had to know! You must book the rooms with a view over the river - the little balcony is fabulous and you have the most beautiful view over the river and if you lucky and no clouds you can see Mt Pilatus and all the other mountains. The hotel includes breakfast which was nice and more than we could want. Nothing like a 5* hotel spread but it was really nice. Coffee was always available in the eating lounge and was so welcome when coming home late. I was overseas for 4 weeks and this was the most pleasant stay I had! Thank you to the Tourist Hotel for making us feel so welcome .....

Room Tip: Must choose a room with a balcony and view of the river ....
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel as it was described as being conveniently close to the main station and the old city. About 10-15 mins from the train station, 10 mins from the lake and 2 mins from the old city.

The rooms are quite basic but they are clean, the bathrooms are modern and the views (if facing the river) are really nice.

Breakfast is included in the price, however a number of items kept running out.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

The only downside (a big one) is the price. Although Switzerland is a very expensive place so I guess it's reasonable for the proximity to the old city, lake and station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and felt absolutely delighted with our choice. Its is short 10 min walk from the main station along the river but there are buses plying to closeby stops as well. We took BUS#2 which is pretty frequent. The rooms are decently sized doubles with bunk beds for additional guests. Shared bathrooms are well maintained but could have done with some more units on every floor especially since they are designated male & female separately.

They have unlimited tea/coffee in the common room and also a microwave one can use to warm food. We used it to warm our meals from COOP which is also pretty closeby at Schwanenplatz. We did not take the Sfr 10 pp breakfast as we felt it was too much for the spread they had. Also for a family of 2 adults and a child of 10 yrs they had initially offered Sfr 20 for breakfast, but after checking in, they said since your child looks tall, we can offer breakfast for Sfr 30 !! We felt a bit let down at this and chose to drop breakfast altogether. Also we had requested for a room with balcony in our bookings made 4 months prior, and even after an email confirmation on the same, we could not get one.

Plus points : Free luggage storage / no curfew / microwave / friendly staff
Low points : Thin curtains.. so privacy could be an issue on lower floors unless you drop the shutters everytime you wish to change.

Most sights are a short walk from this hotel. The views across the river are great and on a clear day you can see Mt. Pilatus in the distance.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor.. the river sounds loud at night
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here during a business tour for three days and was really impressed with the services of the staff and décor of this hotel. Warm welcome at the reception was very pleasing and check in went very quick. Within few minutes I was in that lovely room, which was very gracefully decorated and clean. It had all the luxurious things. Bathroom was great and food was mind blowing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business