“Great value, but poor location!”

Lucerne Backpackers Hostel
Montreal, Canada
“Great value, but poor location!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our stay at this hostel was OK. The quality of service and the location of the property are why this review is only a 3 out of 5. No info about transit, Internet, activities, maps was given when we checked in (and there are only specific times during the day that someone works the desk). The location is without a doubt why we wouldn't stay here again; it's in the outskirts of Lucerne and with limited access to the bus route. On the other side, the Lounge area was comfortable and the room was extremely clean.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JERLEB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed in October 2013 as a solo traveller.

I booked a bed in an 8 person room but was given a 6 bed room, no complaints! Great price for accommodation in Switzerland.
Clean rooms and bathrooms, I had a balcony with a great view of Lake Lucerne.
Its about 10 or 15 minutes walk to the main train station and its a nice easy walk around the lake.
Staff were helpful and I met some great people while cooking in the kitchen!

Room Tip: A room at the front of the building provides a great view of the park and Lake Lucerne
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ChloeeMaryy
Malaysia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Live in this hostel for 3 nights, good price in Switzerland. Also, we have a nice lake view room. There are two kitchens for you to cook your foods. Some games around in the hostel.

Staff is good and friendly. Room is acceptable with a few washroom, bathrooms outside.

The only disadvantage is the location. A bit far way from the train station and Lucerne downtown. You will need to have a long walk when every time you need to get to the town area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank calvin289
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We loved staying at this hostel! We stayed for 4 days. It's extremely clean and organized. The staff are super friendly and knowledgable. The only reason I gave a 4 for location is because it is a bit of a walk into the main area of town, but the hostel is right by a beautiful park and beach so it is worth it if you are visiting in the summer. We loved this hostel and highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Vanessa C
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

This was a very good hostel for several reasons, it was clean, the staff was friendly, the location was BEAUTIFUL right by the lake and a well kept park. Stayed in a 4 bed, it had 2 bunk beds with its own balcony, a big desk, 4 medium sized lockers (you get a key with check in no locks needed) 4 plug ins for charging plus extra outlets for the lamps you could also use if needed. There are 4 of these kind of rooms per unit, 4 units per floor(first and second floor). Each unit has 2 toilets,2 showers all separate plus 4 sinks with mirrors plus another mirror area. Plus large space with large drying racks. Looked like a very nice student dorm, but instead of 2 beds per room they put bunk beds in for the hostel. Only 2 things I didn't like: atmosphere(not a meet ppl kind of hostel) and you are not allowed to use the stove in the morning. I like my eggs and bacon, and in expensive Switzerland I wasn't going to buy them elsewhere so this was a big issue for me. They have a toaster, electric kettle and microwave for use 7-10am. Other than that, a great stay highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kla_Rich
Singapore
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We read many good reviews on this hostel on the net, and thought it will be a good place to spend 2 nights at during our stay in Lucerne. Upon reaching the Lucerne main train station, we embarked on our journey to the hostel. It was a long and painful 25 mins walk from the station with our luggages under the glaring sun, instead of the 12mins walk they stated. There was no one at the reception counter when we reached, and instead a cleaning lady attended to us and passed us our keys to the room. That was a plus considering we can wash up after a long journey on the train.

Room was basic but rather stuffy and hot unless you open the door to the balcony. The toilets were separated and shared. The heater for the shower did not seem to be working, and it choked after a 5 min bath in the toilet.

We both decided to move out on the second day, and thankfully they offered us a refund. Our 1-day stay costs about 89CHF, and if you only top-up a bit more, you could probably get one of the better hotels facing the main stretch of river in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The good: CLEAN, WARM, FRIENDLY & VERY HELPFUL STAFF, EASY WALK FROM TRAIN STATION

The bad: At 1am I woke up with the WORST cold. I wanted tissues, cold medicine, hot tea, and just a room to sit in where I wouldn't wake up my buddy who was trying to get sleep. But unfortunately the lobby and reception area "closes". I haven't seen a hostel close before at night, but this hostel closes around 11pm so you can't get help or ask for help if it's between around 11pm to 6am (I may have my times wrong).

Improvements: This is a hard one..... see, I'm American and don't speak A WORD of German (or Swiss-German) and you know when you go to a hostel you kind of hope to meet people, share traveling stories, share city tips and maybe even a meal together..... well, since I didn't speak German I kind of felt like I didn't belong.
So this is really MY FAULT - not the hostels.

Maybe if they had like an "ice-breaker" or a little bit of optional "group entertainment" it would have given me that little bit of an "I belong" feeling.

Overall- this hostel is perfect for your average hostel traveler. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: There's a beautiful view of the lake from the balconies, but hard to see if you're on the 1s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends