“Perfect stay.”

Hotel Waldstatterhof
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 29 June 2013

By all means do stay here when visiting Lucerne. I stayed one night while on a two week holiday cycling from three main cities. Lucerne was a stop to visit a friend and tour the Transportation Museum. I packed my bike in the hard case when I left Interlaken and knew it could stay until I got to Andermatt, it's easy to roll around but it's also cumbersome so having the hotel directly across from the train station is a plus.

From the moment I checked in I was treated very courteously and my room was ready for me. During my stay the temperatures were in the mid 70's for highs and I just opened my window. I always bring ear plugs since my wife snores and I am just accustomed to wearing them so I did not hear any noise at night if there were any to hear I did not know it. The food is terrific and the room and bed very comfortable. The staff were friendly and very helpful with excellent English.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in Lucerne for only one night for a stopover between Grindelwald and Zurich, and chose this hotel mainly due to the convenient location.
We checked into the hotel around 3pm on a Saturday, and check-in was fast and without much fuss.
For the price we paid, the room was very small in my opinion, but sufficient. Bathroom especially the shower area was exceptionally tiny even for my Asian size.
We got a room at the very end of the corridor, with a tiny window looking at the back courtyard. Depending on how you look at it, this might be good or bad. Good because we were away from the noisy main street, but bad because there is no view at all.
As with all hotel rooms in Switzerland, this hotel room is also immaculately clean.
Another thing to consider is that there is no air conditioning in the room, although they do provide an air humidifier fan. I can imagine it could get very warm and stuffy in summer.
Staff was professional and helpful, giving us many useful tips when we asked about places to eat and visit, etc.
Breakfast was adequate and serves the usual choices of foods as any other hotel.
I would say this hotel is an excellent choice for those who want convenience of being right next to the main station and within walking distance to most of the main tourist sights in Lucerne.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WengHerng
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel, leaving by train the next day. We had a very early departure but the hotel kindly opened breakfast for us. The staff generally were friendly and helpful, with very good English.

The hotel is opposite the station and close to the lake and the old town so a very convenient location. Our room was on the main street but we did not find traffic noise to be a problem.

Good and free wifi access throughout.

Lucerne is a very expensive destination so we thought this hotel was very good value.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Hotel is situated very near the main station. Very convenient for those who take the train from one city to another. Hotel room was clean and well maintained. Breakfast is modest but sufficient for the first meal of the day. Helpful staff although they lack that warm smile to brighten up your day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Despite request for a quiet room, receptionist was pleased to tell us that request not granted. Ice maiden receptionists find it very hard to smile or welcome guests.
Room given was front of hotel on busy main street (by station) .Despite keeping all double-glazed windows closed, kept awake until 3am by revving cars & motor bikes,(using it as a race track) drunks who thought they could sing (but not in key, & too loud), Bollywood music, bongo drums, screaming youngsters and teenagers etc etc. Buses started 5am as did the cars & bikes yet again. After 3 days of begging the ice-maidens, the Reception supervisor gave us a room overlooking "courtyard" ie car park. A little better (but not much).
Dining room staff were all very pleasant, but the menu for "half-board" guests was very confusing. All items were priced individually, but difficult to understand if we would be given a large bill at end of the 7 days, and no indication of what we were "allowed" to eat as half-board. The hotel charges for tap water at dinner.

Pro : Near railway station (50 yards) & not far from lake boat piers

Cons : No chance of sleep (after 7 days of non-sleep we felt jet-lagged & couldn't enjoy holiday as much as we'd hoped)
Receptionists were not welcoming. Having guests seemed to interrupt their work.
Not every room has a shower....difficult / impossible to get in high sided bath if you have arthritis.
Dinner menu confusing, if half-board, will a large bill await you later ?
Walls of bedroom are paper thin.
No sign of any of the managers / directors during our entire stay......perhaps they wanted a quiet time elsewhere

Room Tip: Don't choose any room in this hotel at all !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ea r
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We, a family of 6 adults stayed at this hotel for three nights. This hotel, quite amazingly is as close as it can get to the main train station, and centrally located to all the tourist attractions. We tugged our many suitcases from the station and reached the hotel so fast that we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel staff were very responsive and attended to our needs. The room size, ambiance and comfortable was all very good. The bathrooms were small but fully functional, it was actually quite cleverly built to optimise space. The wall painting behind the bed headrest was my personal favourite. The breakfast was satisfying and the dinner at the hotel restaurants was very good and they had a good number of choices even for vegetarians. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: You have a choice between a big room and a small bathroom or vice versa. You can take your pick :D
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is the fourth time I lodged at this very central and conveniently located city Hotel. As I don’t drive, the central train station with all kinds of shops and eateries is right opposite the hotel and easy to reach. The well appointed hotel rooms are a surprise, each floor sports a different décor – very modern and absolutely clean. Best and most comfy mattresses, pillows and linen I come across anywhere in a long time. The friendly and prompt service of all the employees was nothing short of amazing and forthcoming. A deliciously displayed Swiss breakfast is offered, with loads of fresh bakery items and an array of other hot and cold treats typical to Switzerland. Excellent Lunch & Dinner ‘a la carte’ cuisine. In addition the Executive Chef offers an innovative selection of vegetarian and Gluten free choices. The walk across the picturesque bridge takes you a mere 3 minutes and you’re in the ‘Altstadt/old Down Town’s high end shopping district. Highly recommend this Hotel and for sure will stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then request a room facing the court yard and ensure you mention a car pa...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo