“Fantastic quality for 3 star hotel”

Hotel Waldstatterhof
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic quality for 3 star hotel”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in late September and had a very comfortable stay. Our room was very spacious, third floor facing out from the front of the hotel, light and very tastefully furnished .... lovely renovation of the hotel looks fairly recent. Great shower and water pressure. It was a triple room, not that we had requested one. Maybe that's why it was so spacious.
Staff were very friendly and always greeted you in a friendly manner.
Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice, and included in the tariff. When choosing whether to go for a 3 or 4 star hotel our travel agent, who was based in Switzerland, said "our 3 star hotels are like 4 star". She was right, and the positive Tripadvisor reviews were also accurate.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel are interesting. Traffic noise not an issue due to glazing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hyderabad
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The hotel is located right outside the Lucerne station which is very convenient if you plan to use Lucerne as your base for exploring nearby places. We checked in at 7 am and were quickly given a room. The key chain is really heavy so you can use it as a paperweight. The room was was nice non smoking with lot of space to keep your luggage. the bathroom and shower were clean and spacious. The room was super quite considering it was next to the railway station.

The breakfast was amazing with a good spread for vegetarians. The hotel is located very close to many attractions in Lucerne. Lots of eating and shopping options closeby. The staff was super friendly and also helped us plan our trip to Rhine valley.

Overall, would happily stay again in Waldstaetterhof.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The old historic exterior of the Waldstaetterhof belies the spotlessly clean, slick, modern and comfortably appointed rooms. Staff are friendly, well informed and extremely helpful.
Located across from the railway station, the hotel is steps from the Old Town, historic sites ( such as the Chapel Bridge), museums, cafes and Lake Lucerne ferries.
Breakfast (included) offers a wide array of food choices and wonderful coffee!
We were travelling by car. The limited parking offered by the hotel was full, but arrangements with the City of Lucerne allowed us, for a small fee, to remain in a municipal parking space steps from the hotel for the duration of our three night stay.
We would definitely return to the Waldstatterhof on any return to Lucerne.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

After my own experiences, i personally would not recommend staying at Waldstaetterhof.

I did NOT have a good stay at this hotel. I visited Lucerne with my mum and dad and stayed for 3 nights here. My parents stayed in another room to me at the hotel, which they paid extra for. I however was given the smallest room on the floor (as stated by the fire evacuation floor plan on the back of the door)

It was a no smoking room but immediately as I walked in through the door, a smell of cigarette smoke hit me. My first thought was a smoker had been in the room before me. I thought maybe the smoke smell would disappear. However when I opened the bathroom door, it was clear the smoke was venting in from somewhere at that very moment in time. It was strong and I felt it quite nauseating and sickly.
Told my parents and we reported it to the staff at reception.

Unfortunately, despite saying that cigarette smoke actually makes me ill and the fact that the hotel had a big sign outside the front door stating Zimmer frei, rooms free, they apparently couldn't offer me a different room that night. The staff did send a manager up when we were out having an evening meal. When we returned to the hotel, reception said that this manager had been up to the room and investigated but despite saying there was a barely noticeable smoke smell, which to me was an admission that smoke was in the room, (which is quite a big thing for a room stated as being non smoking) they still couldn't offer me another room for that night. This manager did spray some aerosol scent in the bathroom. Which did temporarily mask the smell I have to admit, until the scent disappeared. It did mean that rather than breathing in a cigarette smell all night, I had to breath in an aerosol spray, it reminded me of the boys changing rooms after a PE lesson. Quite unpleasant and choking. I was told that if there was no change in the morning, that they would give me a new room for the rest of my stay. I didn't sleep that well at all.

However by the morning the smell had declined somewhat. Still there but not as strong. It was early morning and it was raining outside, I was beginning to think that workers outside were responsible for the smoke, smoking outside somewhere on their work breaks and it was venting its way into the pipes that led directly into the bathroom.

Anyway, early morning in the rain and no cigarette breaks as yet, meaning a reduced smell. Went out for the morning around the city with my clothes smelling of smoke. Was very tired from the lack of sleep, I was also developing a cold from leaving the window open all night.

Retuned to the hotel after mid day. Didn't go to my room but stayed in my parents room for a few hours catching up on some sleep.

Early evening, I went back to my room, feeling pretty exhausted still, opened the door and the smell had returned as strong as ever. My dad went down stairs and reported the issue again, after quite a heated discussion with the reception staff and the person incharge, we were told we should of reported the issue sooner, despite reporting it the previous day! And I mention again, I do believe that the smoke was coming from smokers on breaks somewhere below in the street and that in the morning and with it raining, they weren't there. But as the weather cleared, the day went on, pretty soon workers were having cigarette breaks, so when I returned to my room in the early afternoon, the smell was very prominent again. More than a coincidence I'm certain of that. I was just about willing to stay in the room with the morning level of smell but with it returning in the evening, I just couldn't stand it.

So after quite a lengthy and heated conversation, the women incharge finally gave us a key to another room. Great! Unfortunately not. The room was smoke smell free however out of spite, they had given us a smoking room with an ashtray and matches and smoke stained walls. (I have to say again there was no smoke smell) but its the principle of what they did. I didnt see the funny side of it. This was quite clearly a smoking room and indeed, group of rooms as they all had in the immediate area, no non smoking signs on the doors, my previous room and parents room had a non smoking sign on the door.

So I was put in a smoking room despite being told quite adamantly the day before that the hotel had no smoking anywhere on its property. Also the room was on the first floor right opposite, maybe 15 yards away, a night club, a McDonald's and a take away. Despite been given earplugs (as all rooms have them) I couldn't sleep as the noise and yobish shouts from the street below went on continuously until gone 4am. Then around 4:30am the deliveries for the take away and McDonalds arrived. This was on both a Thursday and Friday nights so I'm guessing this happens every night/ morning of the week.

So rather than sorting the problem, the manager out of spite put me in a room which she knew was a smoking room in an extremely poor location. That for me was the most disappointing thing about all this, the fact that I had an issue and the hotel, rather than dilute the situation, chose to risk fuelling it more. I mean who gives a replacement room that is a smoking room to a customer who has complained about their original non smoking room smelling of smoke?!

Anyway the location of the hotel is very good in terms of being just opposite the train station and close to the old bridges and town, however that obviously means the hotel is surrounded by noise from cars and people outside for every hour of the day. The walls let huge amounts of noise through, you can hear neighbouring rooms tv, coughing, snoring. I guess that's why every room is issued with earplugs. But do you really expect to sleep in bed on your holiday with uncomfortable earplugs in your ears? Is that really acceptable and what you pay your money for?

I stayed for 3 nights in this hotel, in 2 different rooms and hardly got any sleep at all. I went home looking like id been in the ring with Mike Tyson.

If you don't stay in the upgraded rooms, which I have to say, are ok (if you don't mind going to the toilet with your partner just metres away behind some stained glass) and live up to their 3 star rating, then you will have a room which is poor in terms of an aged look, stains on the carpets, unhoovered floors, fluff in the bathroom keyholes, old analogue box tv's with 17 foreign channels.

The hotel has a nice modern looking lobby/ reception area and hall ways.

The breakfasts are ok but nothing special. Didn't have any other meals in the hotel so can't coment.

I left Lucerne and my holiday, feeling extremely exhausted, with a cold and genuinely feeling quite down and it was all due to my poor stay in this hotel.

I can't believe this hotel has so many good reviews, its like I was staying in a completely different hotel. Yes the hotel has a good location but the rooms are outdated and quite honestly so poor and the noise pollution is truly atrocious. Must do much better hotel Waldstaetterhof!

After my own experiences, i personally would NOT recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank James B
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

For train travellers it is the perfect spot ,only 100 metres from the front of the station.
No noises from the station reached the hotel rooms .We had a quality room of good size ,although the shower cubicle if you have one is too small .
Free wifi which worked well ,an excellent breakfast and overall great service made for a nice stay.
It was an easy walk to the main shops across the bridge and only 15 minutes to the casino if that's your thing.
An improvement to the overall stay would be to provide tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms which is a issue for most of the hotels we booked throughout Europe .
Would stay here in future without hesitation.

Room Tip: Maybe look for a room with the shower in the bath if all the cubicles are the same as ours
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel is just by the lake and very near the station - central. We booked a family room and we had a huge room that was nicely decorated and very light and airy on the top floor. The hotel was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

We had breakfast there in the morning and it was fine.

The pricing is really good for Switzerland, especially considering the location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica G
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Excellent hotel, over the road from the railway station and close to the old town. Excellent wifi coverage, great breakfasts and very obliging staff. Would not hesitate to stay there again. Accommodation in Lucerne is expensive and this is no exception.

Room Tip: Think it is probably best to get a room at the back of the hotel as the front would be quite noisy.