“Poor service”

Hotel Waldstatterhof
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
“Poor service”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Staff attitude is not good. When we checked in, we supposed the staff will take care of each customer one by one. Our check-in had not completed, staff already catered other customers' request and ignoring us which make us really feel uncomfortable.

The hotel itself is good n close to the station but the staff is really terrible. We do not expect such a nice hotel will have such unqualified n poor attitude staff and this does not match with its name 'quality' hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CY C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Make no mistake about this. This is not a 3 star hotel but rather a 3 star hostel. These people know not the meaning of the word 'service'. From the time of check-in. No welcome, not even an hi or a hello.. When we arrived at the front desk there was one young man at the front desk who was at the computer and one young woman standing next to him looking at some register and another young man standing behind them who was looking at the room keys. Not one of them bothered to say 'Hello' or 'welcome' or a 'how may i help you'. After literally waiting for 3 full minutes for anyone to acknowledge us, just as we were starting to wonder if we were in fact invisible ghosts standing in front of them, one of the guys who was at the computer looked at us and in the most uninterested possible tone said "Yes?"

We had arrived half an hour early than the designated check in time, and though there was a sign outside the hotel saying zimmer frie / vacancy,(from the minute we arrived up until our entire 3 night stay) we were told by this thoroughly indifferent person that our room wasn't ready. We did not argue to this however. He told us that we could leave our luggage in the luggage room and come back later. You would expect a "3 star hotel" to have a porter or at least a little help with the luggage, but again the only thing he said was "Take your luggage and follow me". And to describe our travel party myself with a walking disability my 60 year old mother and my sister upon whom was the responsibility of carrying most of the luggage. For the sake of chivalry or for normal human decency at least you could have offered some assistance with the luggage. When we arrived back at the hotel to take our room, different guy same story. "Follow me and take your luggage". And even if all three of us were fully able bodied individuals for 415 Swiss francs a night expecting help with luggage is not too much to expect at a hotel. Somebody should remind the management that hotels are in the business of the service industry.
At all the other four hotels in Switzerland that we stayed in every single one offered luggage assistance, and the per night rate of two of these hotels was less than half of what we paid at Waldstaterhof. At three of these other hotels we arrived a bit earlier than the check in time and at each place when we came back to the hotel to actually be handed over the room, our luggage was already sent up to our designated room/s.

After having checked in and in the room I called the front desk for the wi-fi password. The lady who answered the phone asked me as to how many devices I would be connecting. I answered 4 , considering 3 mobile phones and 1 ipad. She replied that in that case I would need to come downstairs to collect the same. I then asked whether if it were just one device could she give me the login details over the phone, the reply again was "No". And the bizarre explanation was that there were around a 100 different rooms and for the sake of misuse by outsiders they could not give me the code over the phone. SURELY you can tell if I'm calling from within the hotel and from what room the phone call is coming from can't you. The next question I regretted as soon as I asked it because it was kind of stupid of me. I asked "Well, can you not send someone to the room with the wifi code in an envelope or something?" The reply "Of course not. You will personally have to come down and get it yourself."
Now may be I am one of those odd travelers who stays in weird and strange hotels where one usually gets the wi-fi login details at the time of check-in itself. But that's just my delusion I guess.

And having used the wi-fi, just one word of caution. If you are using the wi fi at the hotel on you mobile phone or I-pad, the internet access is such that you will have to enter the login and password every single time you step out of the hotel and come back. Another thing is the safe in the room. Had a mind of its own, used to close sometime other times didn't. Every time after closing the safe door had to double check after a few minutes whether the door was locked or not. And I'm saying a few minutes as it usually took a minute or to for the door to get locked.Thankfully it opened properly every time.

To be fair the room was clean, well lit and modernly decorated, bathroom is also clean and neat. And on the first night of our stay there was one piece of Swiss chocolate on each of our beds. The other weird and strange hotels we stayed in Switzerland used to put Swiss chocolates on our pillows every night of our stay and not just the first.
Ok, the part about the chocolates was sarcastic, but the room being clean and modern is actually true and the only reason my overall rating of the hotel is Poor and not Terrible. Only one thing. The hotel isn't air conditioned, so you have to sleep with the windows open and our room being on the road side and at the corner where there is a bar in the building just next to the hotel, there was fair bit of noise from both cars as well as drunken youths, and it being the football world cup time, the noise i think was a bit excess at the time.

Breakfast was ok, good variety, with one unique dish. Ice cold boiled eggs... Really who serves i boiled eggs cold? First day service at breakfast was ok. Second day non-existent and third and last day was actually quite good. So breakfast staff you're ok.

But the rest of them, well they really do not know the meaning of the word 'service' and I doubt even if they are aware of the fact that the hotel industry is a service based industry. Shame, the rooms are really nice and modern and clean, but alas this is a "hostel" and not a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank yaatri
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We didn't choose this hotel ourselves, it was assigned by the agents for Swiss Golden Pass Panoramic (holidays on location). The hotels in Montreux and Interlaken were fine, but in this one we were given a very small room on the second floor above Lucerne's main street. There is no air conditioning so you have to sleep with the windows open, and the noise goes well into the night - both traffic and revellers. There was a sign advertising vacancies out the front so I asked for another room. This was declined. Earplugs were, however, available in the room as standard accessories! Breakfast was good, but the head waitress was quite rude. Wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Get commitment to a room away from main street when booking
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael S
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in mid Jun with my friend. Location is fantastic as it is just right cross the railway station with less than 3 minutes walk. Staff at front desk was rather cold and rigid that didn't make me feel welcome at all. Room was fine in terms of size as this is my 3rd time to visit Lucern. Our room was facing toward the station. It was quite noisy at night as we found out the noise was from the top roof of the building across us. There seemed to have party every night. Breakfast was great in terms of variety of choice and service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 10 July 2014

地理位置很好,火车站出门就能看到,去各个景点都有交通工具可以到达。酒店的房间尽管小但是布置非常现代化给人感觉舒适,就是房间没有空调,有点闷热,电扇的效果不大。酒店的早餐也不错。周边也有很多各个层次的餐厅,酒店后边还有一个小公园。The room we were in at first was chosen as accommodation for the Golden Pass train trip and it was satisfactory

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is perfect in the center of the town, you can go everywhere by foot. But the rooms are ok. Had other colleagues that had amazing rooms mine was just ok, bathroom was very small and "ugly". But as I said it depends on what room do you get (mine 407). The staff is very good, helpful and gentle, I could not try the restaurant but seems ok! Breakfast is good. Prices I think are very high between 240-350 CHF per night! So if I had to pay it I would think about it...but don't get me we on its a really good hotel!

Stayed July 2014
Beaudesert, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very convenient location opposite the train station. Had a good check in and staff were very friendly. The room we were in at first was chosen as accommodation for the Golden Pass train trip and it was satisfactory. We stayed extra nights in another room and this was quite spacious being business class. It also had a balcony and was quieter as was facing apartment blocks.
We were fortunate to be able to be able to move from one room to the other and this was very helpful. Very good breakfasts. Walking distance to all the sights.

Room Tip: Not on the road side as there are the bars
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple