“Location Location Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 69 Hotels in Lucerne
Ayr, Australia
“Location Location Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Walking distance from the train station, and so central to everything we had on our list of "must do"activities. At last tea and coffee making facilities in the room! A welcome sight. It was very comfortable and the toast making machine actually made toast as opposed to drying out the bread or merely warming it up. Because the hotel is so central, it's possible to go out and do sightseeing, come back to the room have a coffee or two , a quick rest, and then head out again. The main tourist attractions are never very far away, and the walking is easy and enjoyable. Staff at reception are efficient, not overly friendly, but the restaurant staff are great. Big plus, the meals at the restaurant are affordable and handy when it's late and you're tired out from walking all day. In the bathroom, the bath is extremely high walled so would be difficult for elderly people to step in and climb out of. It is also very small and cramped, the soap dispenser on the wall digs you in the back while you are having a shower. Double sink was valuable for 2 single females trying to get ready to go out at the same time. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at this hotel. The location is extremely convenient, across the street from the train station and easy walking distance to the old town and most attractions. It is a nicely appointed hotel, our room was comfortable, and the breakfast was quite nice. The only aspect that keeps me from giving the hotel a 5 rating is that there was considerable street noise, though the hotel did supply ear plugs in the room. All in all, a good choice.

Cleanliness
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a very contemporary hotel in an old building. The rooms are what I suppose you could call "minimalist" (white), and are very modern in design - however, they are not very comfortable or practical. I must preface this review by stating that we stayed in room 4002, which seems to be an extension to the original hotel, so I cannot be certain if all the rooms are identical.
I have noticed with a number of new hotels, or hotels which have been recently refurbished, that the bathroom design favors opaque or partly-opaque glass doors. Personally, I am not a fan. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to be able to close and lock the door of the bathroom so I can have a little privacy when doing what must be done in a bathroom!! No matter how intimate you are with someone, there are some things you would prefer not to see or hear! So if sharing as a couple is uncomfortable, then I can only imagine what it must be like to share with a friend or family member. The bathroom itself is spacious however, and with good amenities, although an extra couple of hooks would have been appreciated.
There was no air conditioning in the room, although a fan was provided and kept us cool enough.
There is no bar in the hotel, so if like me you like to have a night-cap before you retire to bed, then you may need to bring your own!
On the positive side, the staff were friendly, the location is excellent if you are arriving in Luzern by train, and it is a great base from which you can explore the city. It is also very convenient for events at the KKL convention center. The breakfast is also very decent, in a large and comfortable dining room.
Would I stay at this hotel again? Probably not. I have been to Luzern several times and would prefer the dated 'kitschness' of the Hotel Monopol which is just next door. But if modern design is your thing, then go ahead by all means......

2 Thank barryjf
Cirencester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel has an excellent location opposite the railway station, very close to the ship quays and not far from the old town where there are many restaurants.
Our room was high enough to give good views, it was spacious and included tea/coffee making equipment.
We found all the staff very helpful and the buffet breakfast excellent. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel's restaurant but the prices looked reasonable for the city.

Cleanliness
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Staff attitude is not good. When we checked in, we supposed the staff will take care of each customer one by one. Our check-in had not completed, staff already catered other customers' request and ignoring us which make us really feel uncomfortable.

The hotel itself is good n close to the station but the staff is really terrible. We do not expect such a nice hotel will have such unqualified n poor attitude staff and this does not match with its name 'quality' hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CY C
Mumbai, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Make no mistake about this. This is not a 3 star hotel but rather a 3 star hostel. These people know not the meaning of the word 'service'. From the time of check-in. No welcome, not even an hi or a hello.. When we arrived at the front desk there was one young man at the front desk who was at the computer and one young woman standing next to him looking at some register and another young man standing behind them who was looking at the room keys. Not one of them bothered to say 'Hello' or 'welcome' or a 'how may i help you'. After literally waiting for 3 full minutes for anyone to acknowledge us, just as we were starting to wonder if we were in fact invisible ghosts standing in front of them, one of the guys who was at the computer looked at us and in the most uninterested possible tone said "Yes?"

We had arrived half an hour early than the designated check in time, and though there was a sign outside the hotel saying zimmer frie / vacancy,(from the minute we arrived up until our entire 3 night stay) we were told by this thoroughly indifferent person that our room wasn't ready. We did not argue to this however. He told us that we could leave our luggage in the luggage room and come back later. You would expect a "3 star hotel" to have a porter or at least a little help with the luggage, but again the only thing he said was "Take your luggage and follow me". And to describe our travel party myself with a walking disability my 60 year old mother and my sister upon whom was the responsibility of carrying most of the luggage. For the sake of chivalry or for normal human decency at least you could have offered some assistance with the luggage. When we arrived back at the hotel to take our room, different guy same story. "Follow me and take your luggage". And even if all three of us were fully able bodied individuals for 415 Swiss francs a night expecting help with luggage is not too much to expect at a hotel. Somebody should remind the management that hotels are in the business of the service industry.
At all the other four hotels in Switzerland that we stayed in every single one offered luggage assistance, and the per night rate of two of these hotels was less than half of what we paid at Waldstaterhof. At three of these other hotels we arrived a bit earlier than the check in time and at each place when we came back to the hotel to actually be handed over the room, our luggage was already sent up to our designated room/s.

After having checked in and in the room I called the front desk for the wi-fi password. The lady who answered the phone asked me as to how many devices I would be connecting. I answered 4 , considering 3 mobile phones and 1 ipad. She replied that in that case I would need to come downstairs to collect the same. I then asked whether if it were just one device could she give me the login details over the phone, the reply again was "No". And the bizarre explanation was that there were around a 100 different rooms and for the sake of misuse by outsiders they could not give me the code over the phone. SURELY you can tell if I'm calling from within the hotel and from what room the phone call is coming from can't you. The next question I regretted as soon as I asked it because it was kind of stupid of me. I asked "Well, can you not send someone to the room with the wifi code in an envelope or something?" The reply "Of course not. You will personally have to come down and get it yourself."
Now may be I am one of those odd travelers who stays in weird and strange hotels where one usually gets the wi-fi login details at the time of check-in itself. But that's just my delusion I guess.

And having used the wi-fi, just one word of caution. If you are using the wi fi at the hotel on you mobile phone or I-pad, the internet access is such that you will have to enter the login and password every single time you step out of the hotel and come back. Another thing is the safe in the room. Had a mind of its own, used to close sometime other times didn't. Every time after closing the safe door had to double check after a few minutes whether the door was locked or not. And I'm saying a few minutes as it usually took a minute or to for the door to get locked.Thankfully it opened properly every time.

To be fair the room was clean, well lit and modernly decorated, bathroom is also clean and neat. And on the first night of our stay there was one piece of Swiss chocolate on each of our beds. The other weird and strange hotels we stayed in Switzerland used to put Swiss chocolates on our pillows every night of our stay and not just the first.
Ok, the part about the chocolates was sarcastic, but the room being clean and modern is actually true and the only reason my overall rating of the hotel is Poor and not Terrible. Only one thing. The hotel isn't air conditioned, so you have to sleep with the windows open and our room being on the road side and at the corner where there is a bar in the building just next to the hotel, there was fair bit of noise from both cars as well as drunken youths, and it being the football world cup time, the noise i think was a bit excess at the time.

Breakfast was ok, good variety, with one unique dish. Ice cold boiled eggs... Really who serves i boiled eggs cold? First day service at breakfast was ok. Second day non-existent and third and last day was actually quite good. So breakfast staff you're ok.

But the rest of them, well they really do not know the meaning of the word 'service' and I doubt even if they are aware of the fact that the hotel industry is a service based industry. Shame, the rooms are really nice and modern and clean, but alas this is a "hostel" and not a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank yaatri
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We didn't choose this hotel ourselves, it was assigned by the agents for Swiss Golden Pass Panoramic (holidays on location). The hotels in Montreux and Interlaken were fine, but in this one we were given a very small room on the second floor above Lucerne's main street. There is no air conditioning so you have to sleep with the windows open, and the noise goes well into the night - both traffic and revellers. There was a sign advertising vacancies out the front so I asked for another room. This was declined. Earplugs were, however, available in the room as standard accessories! Breakfast was good, but the head waitress was quite rude. Wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Get commitment to a room away from main street when booking