Hotel Magic
US$172
Agoda.com
US$134
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswiss chaletpirate roomthemed roomsclock towerkrone hotelking suitelion heartegyptian roomlotus rootold townarabian nightsactual bathroomboat shapedfour poster bedthe rivercoffee machinecontinental style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I was on a budget when staying in Lucerne recently. Somewhat of an oxymoron when visiting Switzerland full stop!
It's an unusual hotel. I got a good last minute rate-ish. I wanted to be in the old city as I needed to walk to the hospital every day for the business I was on.
I knew it was close to all the restaurants and shops and was near the river without paying on-the-river prices. There is a nice restaurant underneath with a nice little bar with a variety of french wine by the glass.
But. The but. The reception is at the Best Western hotel across the road and around the corner. And your breakfast is over there. There are no facilities or lounge on the premise itself. I chose this hotel because it had free wifi which is true. But it's a bit slow.
The room is clean and fine. Yes. They are meant to be all individual. And yes the honeymoon room has no front door.
At the end of the day, it's a clean room centrally located with wifi. If you want any extra creature comforts you will need to pay for it, after all, it's Lucerne.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Darren L
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Didn't like check in at Best Western Krone as I had heavy luggage and went mad searching for both the hotels.. Had to struggle with bags. No reception here which is troublesome and we don't get any help to carry luggage. Had to go to BW for breakfast. Lift was too small!

Plug pins were hidden behind the bed to charge phone and laptop, then had to remove lamp pin and use which was again too far from the bed.

They didn't even give me the bill!

Good location, spacious rooms with themes that i liked. Decent breakfast.

I could have have choosed some hotel near station because of heavy luggage.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank travelisfun098
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Yes, you have to check in at the Best Western Krone which is less than a one minute walk away, but this information is provided with the confirmation so it shouldn't be a surprise to guests. I actually found the Hotel Magic before finding the BW but it had clear directions on the door as to how to find the other hotel. I was upgraded to the Barock Suite which was one large room with two twin beds (pushed together) and a large whirlpool bath. I think you have to take the over the top decor with a sense of humor in order to enjoy your stay here, but I liked it. The gold cherubs, the painted bed, the bust of Beethoven. (Mozart?) I found the room to be clean, comfortable and spacious. The breakfast buffet at the BW was generous and had good variety. With the excellent location and price I thought this was a great value for an expensive city, but be prepared for some quirkiness. To me it was ideal but it wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Pam W
Reviewed 28 August 2012

It took some time to work out where it was - even with having lived in Lucerne before and knowing the area very well. The "reception" was in another hotel some 200m away and even after the receptionist at the "Best Western Hotel Krone" told me where to go I still wasn't sure where it was. And there it was above the "Unter der Egg" steps - right slap bang in the middle of the old town! Not just a good location, an excellent location!

The room was themed - quirky for sure, but really really nice. I'm not sure if the price I paid was the standard price or not, as I paid a much lower tariff than was shown in the room. The room was big! I've stayed at a few hotels in Lucerne and to get a room so big in the middle of the old town - wow!

No air conditioning and no view from the room and yes, it was hot - but I was visiting at an exceptionally humid time, so can't comment on the "normal" Summer conditions. I would have given a rating of 5 out of 5 if the room was not so hot as everything else was fab. I will definitely visit again to see if under normal weather conditions the lack of air conditioning is still a factor!

It's definitely worth a visit - they've gone to a lot of effort to give you an unusual experience. I like it, it made me smile!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed for one night July 2012. The location is excellent in the heart of old town by the river. Room was clean but old and shappy, no air conditioning.

Don't bring much luggage with you as you are not able to drive your car to the hotel and the lift is relatively small. For check-in/-out and breakfast you have to go to Best Western hotel (150 m).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple