“Great location”

Hotel Falken - Luzern
Ranked #59 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Overall, hotel was located at a very great location. Only within 10 min from train station and it's just opposite the lake of lucerne. Once step out from hotel, alot watches shop nearby. Staff good services and overall it met my satisfaction. Good hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 days on a recent trip to Lucerne. The hotel is in walking distance from the train station .The location is near to the lake and the shopping area and the famous chappel bridge . The staff at the reception is very helpful . The rooms are very small with double deck bed . There is very little space around the bed for luggage. If you have more luggage it leave very less room to move. The bathroom is very cramped . But all this pain get compensated by a great location . The swiss tourism office is very close and the easy access to train, boat and bus station makes this hotel a paradise for a tight tight visit to lucerne

Room Tip: If you want to take train and boat trips in and around lucene , this hotel is simply GR8
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our double bed was fine although you had to be careful if you were near the window the bed was to close to the table. The bathroom was way to small, you had to squeeze in and try to shut the door to use the toilet. The bathrooms need updated, our shower was on the nasty side and the hairdryer only stayed on for 2 min at a time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Falken for 2 nights on a recent trip to Switzerland. The hotel is in a fantastic spot, right in the heart of the old town which makes it great for exploring Lucerne. It is also very close to the train station, the lake, the river, the famous Lion of Lucerne and lots of great restaurants and cafes. We had read about the issues with bed bugs from previous reviewers and so emailed the hotel seeking assurance that the issue had been dealt with; they promptly replied assuring us they had and we certainly had no issues with bed bugs while we there (yay!). The room we had was small but functional, with comfortable beds and a clean (but TINY) bathroom (if you have large suitcases with you the room size could be an issue as there would be no where to put a large suitcase, but we have had backpacks so it was fine). We found the reception staff to be very friendly, helpful and accommodating, and they all spoke perfect English which made it easy to ask questions and get advice on where to go, etc. There is free wifi in the rooms which was great the whole time we were there. The only real issue we had is that, being right in the heart of town, it was a bit noisy at night and there was no air conditioner in the room so we had to sleep with the window open for ventilation and temperature,but with all the noise during the night, we did not sleep very well. This would not be an issue if you are travelling outside of summer though I imagine when it would be cool enough at night to sleep with the window closed. The hotel IS expensive, but compared to other hotels in Lucerne it is actually very well priced - this is an expensive town, especially in peak tourist season. Also, be aware that this is a very small, privately run hotel (they only have 15 rooms), so you cannot expect the level or type of services you would get from a big hotel. We found Hotel Falken small all round and basic, but comfortable, well located and perfectly functional.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShaneAndRobbie
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here on 25th August in room 101 on the first floor. Small, clean room with no sign of bed bugs! Helpful reception ( but had to wait a few minutes as she had gone out) who offered advice on where to eat and sold us a breakfast voucher at an excellent bakery shop about 100 metres away ( CH12.00 but worth that price). We knew the rooms were small but the location and price were excellent. Wifi reception was good but the curtains could be improved with thicker material

Oddly, when we arrived at the station in the middle of a torrential rain storm in early evening, we found it difficult to find street plans in the centre

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Location was really great - right in the heart of the city. Rooms are ok but I knew how small and limited they were based on the photos. However, on the first night, I was attacked by bed bugs and received over 150 bites which are incredibly itchy. Not know what was causing the bites, I stayed on another night but awoke at 4am to find the bed and surrounding walls crawling with giant bed bugs. I left the room within the hour. Once reception opened (at 10am), I checked out (a day early) and demanded a refund. In the face of the swollen bites on my face, arms, hands, legs and feet as well as photographic proof and dead specimens, they could hardly refuse. I was extremely disappointed with the customer service of both receptionists I encountered. When I first checked in, the first one told me my room 'might not be cleaned' and I was to go up and check. The second woman who checked us out did not seem fazed by the clearly extensive infestation in the hotel. In fact, she didn't care, wasn't shocked and didn't apologise. My holiday was promptly ruined and even now as I am home, I am currently going through all my luggage and my partner's as I have probably brought some home. I would not recommend this 'hotel'.

Room Tip: Check the bed frame, mattress and wall for bed bugs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The Hotel Falken is perfectly located in the old town of Lucerne about 100 metres from the lake. Its rooms are small but modern, nicely decorated and above all clean. The cost of a room is not cheap but it is low by Swiss standards. Other reviews have found fault but I think that most are expecting too much for their money in an overpriced country. The Falken is a great place to get a comfortable bed in the centre of town but get your breakfast around the corner at one of the fantastic bakeries. The service and welcome we received on arrival was also great, a smiling and friendly receptionist when a arriving from as days travel is always as bonus.

• Stayed: August 2013