“Some Jails Are Better”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Great location, convenient to walk to all locations in the historical district. Room was adequate only to sleep in, and uncomfortable to do anything else. Our stay was only for the historical experience. Beds were "OK". Check-in was at 3:00 PM, and staff were not flexible to any earlier check-in time, but did allow us to store luggage in a small closet with other waiting guests - no guarantee of security of luggage. We drove a rental car and had to pay for parking, no parking next to hotel at all. The Swiss are diligent in giving parking tickets, even on the weekends, and we got one, even though a local resident told us that police don't check parking on weekends. . . wrong! Room was very spartan and very similar to bunking/lodging in a military ship's quarters. We had a room with 4 "racks" /single beds stacked double high. Very few electrical outlets with the bathroom as the only wall plug -maybe one at the front entrance? No night lamps. So everyone must go to sleep at the same time, or leave the main light on. Other than some hooks to hang clothes, towels, etc at the entrance, there was no other furniture. Bathroom was a grey boxed enclosure in the room, and shower would flood if water was turned-on full, had to use low water pressure not to flood the little bathroom. Climbing the stairs was not an issue for us, but note: NO ELEVATOR, you must climb stairs to get to your room. Quarters were very tight. If comfort is an issue for you, then stay at another hotel. We stayed over a weekend day, Sunday. So also note, that there is a night club attached to the hotel, and I imagine noise to be an issue on "party nights".

Room Tip: Great location, convenient to walk to all locations in the historical district. Room was adequate on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 October 2012

I had no problems with the accommodation (although the stairs are a bit of a killer with your luggage!).
The rooms are what you would expect from ex-prison cells but I slept comfortably and soundly (must have been the security jail-door).
The bathroom was adequate and the place was clean.
Unfortunately their meals sucked though.
Breakfast was a piece of bread.
Dinner was cold and had to be returned (a group of 30+ of us on Contiki) and then when they bought it back out they had reheated the wrong thing.
Not very good overall for the price but then Lucerne is an expensive city and this is considered 'cheap' accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The service was friendly, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable enough, breakfast was OK. The bathroom is pretty tiny. Didn't like that the wi-fi was in the lobby only. Good location, right next to all the shops and close to the station. Not too bad for the price

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I have stayed in some pretty dodgy places, including a tent for 9 months in Afghanistan. But this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. The only reason why I stayed here is because i was part of a tour group. The room was dirty. I moved the bed so I could sleep next to my husband, there was year old dust bunnies under there. The room was small, the bathroom even smaller. I got about 2 hours of sleep because the place was creepy. To top it all off I woke up with about 12-15 bug bites all over my body. I don't know how they call this a hotel.

Room Tip: It is cool to see but don't stay there
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed here with a tour group- Kinda cool to be able to say 'I stayed a night in a jail in Switzerland' haha but wouldn't stay here for the long term. Rooms are pretty small, the bathroom was TINY! And because the bathroom is just an added on cubicle in the room, there's only one light which means if your room mate is trying to sleep and you need the bathroom, the whole room gets lit up. I also couldn't find a power point to charge my phone etc.. Which was kind of annoying. Beds were pretty average, mattress and pillows were pretty thin. Had dinner there and it was pretty basic too but okay.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Stayed here for one night, in the library suite.
Booked it via groupon few months in advance. Already when booking we have informed the hotel that we would be travelling with little kid and need a baby cot in the room. Day before our arrival I called the hotel to make sure the cot will be ready upon our arrival, and only then was informed that they couldn't provide us with one, as they didn't have them. I don't understand why weren't we informed about it earlier...
Room was 4m x 3m sleeping part (~1m space left between the bed and the walls), plus bathroom part. Our bed linien was clean and we did not have any bedbugs. The room was also clean, and we did have curtains in the windows (and yes, bars on them, but we did not expect anything else, since this is clearly advertised on hotel's website).
Sink with mirror was located in the narrow part of the room behind the bathroom.
Bathroom - toiled + shower - was micro-size, and not really well designed, so accessing the shower was a bit of a challenge. It was not the cleanest bathroom ever - stains on the walls, plus someone's hair in the shower. And air ventilation was not working. Though, the walls of the bathroom were so badly done, and doors so badly fitted, that the air was easily circulating between the bathroom and the room. So maybe someone decided that air ventillation is not needed?
No wardrobe in the room, only coat hanger.
Rooms are rather noisy - we could hear all the sounds coming from the corridor and from the street.
Breakfast is supposed to be served tiil 11:00. We arrived at 10:30 and found only milk, cornflakes, one slice of bread and few slices of cheese left on the buffet. And no coffee left in the coffee machine. So it seems it's rather "first come first served" than "served till 11:00" style (I did not expect buffet to be refilled till 11:00, but I did hope to be asked if we wanted anything else than cornflakes).
No lift available, so don't bring heavy luggage :-)
Overall - it's original place to stay, but hostel not hotel quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I get the novelty of using an old jail as a hotel, but this place hasn't even been converted. The rooms are just the same as when it was a jail, except now they put two guests per cell that was designed for one prisoner. There are bars on the windows. A faecelly looking brown stain on the walls, and someone else's toenails on the floor. The door to the room is a big thick prison door and makes for a claustrophobic experience. The staff were rude and unhelpful and the whole place smells and is creepy. I wanted to change hotels, but we were with Topdeck so it was already paid for and we couldn't get a refund. That said, I will be emailing topdeck with complaints and photographic evidence. Worst hotel I have EVER stayed in

Room Tip: Don't bother, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple