“We had fun!”

Ranked #66 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Muskegon County, Michigan
“We had fun!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

It's was a great time. 1st we had a room with a bad odor. We couldn't stomach it. We went down and explained and they gave us a new room. Yes, it's a jail, yes it was tiny. But, it was clean. We had a bunk bed room for three. So really no room. But, we invited our other friends in our room and told ghost stories and had such an amazing time. The wifi was terrible, but over all I can't fault this hotel! It was great.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014

GOOD:
- fantastic location to explore Old Town on foot and for short stays
- about 10-minute walk to train station and boat ticketing window
- the room was clean (stayed in a 2-bed room with a bath cubicle, #201) and didn't experience bugs or any other creatures.
- stayed alone in a 2-bed room so I had more space for my stuff
- coffee / beverage machines in hallways for a fee
- mattress was comfortable even though it appeared to be rather thin
- staff was courteous

BAD:
- WiFi doesn't work in a room, very weak signal otherwise, it worked slowly in the sitting area at the reception and on the couch outside reception. People gathered around this area to catch a signal and it gets a bit crowded as there are only a few places to sit (depends on occupancy at a time of your stay)
- room is not functional. I would seriously consider another, more expensive or further location if I were to stay longer than 2-4 days unless I'd travel on a seriously low budget. No shelves, hangers, hooks, closets, not to mentioned lockers. If you travel with a backpack and room is fully occupied, it must be inconvenient and claustrophobic. I was glad to stay on my own. There was one electric socket in a working condition. Towels were provided. Sink was located outside a bathroom cubicle in the room. Bathroom cubicle is small but does its job (shower and toilet). Doors to the bathroom were not locking properly though.
- No curtain in a window / no privacy - there are either apartments or offices across the street so if you're changing or walking out of the shower in the evening, you may have no privacy.
- Rooms facing the street may get noisy in AM. Recycling trucks pick up empty bottles early in AM and I had a "pleasure" of waking up to quite a bit of noise.

NEUTRAL:
- it's an old building with wide hallways that echo everything so be ready for some noise made by guests coming in and out of their rooms. Personally, it didn't bother be much but it may be a nuisance to you.
- breakfast buffet for 15 Swiss franks. If you're super hungry and have money to spend, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, skip it!
- the hotel has a 100% jail feel and that's how they're marketing it. It may be creepy for some, too simple for others and amazing for somebody else. So assess your expectations before you book.
- lounge/club next door - I stayed during the week and didn't use it but heard it can get loud on weekends.

I'm giving 3 starts strictly for the location and room cleanliness. I'd consider staying there again for a couple of days even though room decor and functionality don't bring the best memories.

Room Tip: Room facing back may be less noisy. It's a real jail experience so assess your expectations bef...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 February 2014

As the name itself, it a hotel that looks like a jail. But don't worry, it is worth the experience. We came from Munich using our Day 1 Eurail pass. The Luzern train station is just one bus station ride or you can walk if you don't carry heavy luggage. Our mistake is that we took a taxi for 20 Euros so that back to our next destination we took the bus. The hotel is nearby shops and we were lucky to eat rice in a small restaurant nearby during our stay.

Room Tip: keep your windows close when you change your clothes because its too close to the windows of the hou...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel was a little creepy for me, small room, two small beds and the bathroom, which was built in after and looks like a shack had a stand up shower. The rooms have "codes" that you punch in to get in, heavy doors, dark long empty hallways...just very eerie. The mattresses were thin foamy ones, and there were bugs all around the floor. I was grossed out, thank god it was only one night as part of my Contiki Tour. The lobby provides free internet so that was a plus I guess. Its definitely a different "experience" or whatever if thats your type of thing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AvMat8

Travellers are raving about these Lucerne hotels

Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

hahaha..just another different experience here.the interior really like in prison but better.you felt like you sleep inside the prison and museum.for solo traveller and want a private room,you must sleep in here because of the price.i got 60 chf per night,10 chf better than in internet if you just come to the hotel.the breakfast is enough.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I booked a trip with Contiki Tours and read that I will be staying in a Jail Hotel in Switzerland and thought "That will be fun!" Well, a few weeks before my trip I decided to look up the Jail Hotel on TripAdvisor. It was not what I wanted to be reading.

Fast foeward to July 23, 2013 (I know because it was my birthday) and I started to mentally prepare myself for this 2 night stay. I embraced the fact that I will be sleeping with bugs. Upon arrival, the lobby appeared to be clean and modern. I thought "Oh, this might not be as bad as people make it out to be." Then we finally get our room "code" (all the rooms use punched in key codes to unlock the doors, not keys, which in hindsight is dangerous. The room number was written with the code, so what happens if I drop the card?). Anyway, my friend and I started to examine the beds and sure enough there were bugs. All different types. I am not an expert so I can't say if they were bed bugs or what. Since there isn't any kind of air cooling system, they leave the windows open with no screen. So I'm assuming thats where the mass influx of bugs are coming from. The mattresses were about 4" thick, if that, and there was a make shift bathroom within the cell. They provided us dinner that night (might be just for the tour) which I'm pretty sure was kibbles and bits dog food. In order to forget about the disgusting room, I drank myself to deep intoxication and just passed out on the bed. My one friend laid clothes over the bed, while my other friend stayed up in the lobby all night. Mind you, he wasn't the only doing that, so clearly there is a cleaning issue at this hotel.

Just don't stay here.