“A Cool Experience, But Not My Favorite Place”

Jailhotel Loewengraben
Ranked #65 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Let me start off by saying, there are no elevators, pack a day bag and leave your larger bags elsewhere if you can. If you are on Contiki, this is especially important since the bus cannot drive up to the hotel and you have to lug your bags across the city. The bathroom is rather small, but was clean and efficient. The wifi was down while we were there which was unfortunate. The window in our room could not be opened and we didn't want to sleep with the door open because of the automatic lights in the hall, so we were a bit warm. This hotel gets pitch black. Bring your phone or a small flashlight if you have issues with the dark. The hallways have automatic lights that sometimes go off and you have to find the right spot to kick them back on. The rooms are extremely dark if you turn off the light, like cannot see your hand in front of your face, and there aren't many other options. Oddly enough, it was the best nights sleep I had the entire time I was in Europe. The food was pretty decent (we had dinner at the hotel). There is a pretty cook bowling alley and arcade right next door and it is within walking distance to city center and some great shopping. Also, if you get a chance to get fondue, it is absolutely amazing! Just check the prices, the first place we went to was insanely expensive, but we found another place a little bit further away that was much more reasonable. Overall, I'm really glad we stayed here because I can say I stayed in a jail in Switzerland, but I don't know that I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SweetMelissa222

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Unique hotel,really fun! It's my first time for staying in the jail! Unforgettable moments.. I stayed two nights in this hotel with my friends.. At first i thought it was creepy but we love it! The bathroom is small but it's clean and they provide the amenities.i really enjoy my sleep there

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Pros: super clean I mean spotless!, cool concept, walking distance to anything in town, clean bath and bed, nice staff, good breakfast.
cons: if you stay in a cell and not a suite there is no power source for plugging camera or phone...it is an old jail :)

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was really cool staying in the old Jailhouse. They decorate the hotel really nicely, the rooms are painted all white and has a tiny bathroom. The walkways and entrances are really cool as well. In the hotel there are facts about the old jail and how it used to be. I thought it was really cool staying here. The facilities are really clean and you are given what you need. I was perfect and something new and different.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Hi we stayed here for few hours while coming from jungfrou on the way to titlus it is located near the station in the corner of main shopping area .The rooms were with the feel of a jail having a very small bathroom and a small ventilation we were so tired that we just start snoring in few min as we had to leave early we hardly stayed 8 hours in the place . i will only recomend itfor the people who want a felling of an old swiss jail or you dont get a room somewhere else

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Welcome to jailhouse hostel! Hostel accomadation at hotel prices. The rooms are very small and badly put together light fixtures coming off the walls, bathroom glass doors cracked and glass shards all over the floor. Only one staff member had a brain the rest impossible to deal with.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily R
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Simple, you sleep in an old jail, expect the same comfort a prisoner had back in the day. There is nothing exciting about the rooms, other than it use to be an old jail.

However, I must say, I've slept in worse in places when I was in Italy, so don't get to fussy.

There is no tv, but let's face it, if your travelling from overseas, you can't understand half the stuff on tv here anyway.

Rooms appeared clean, no sign of these so called bed bugs that everyone is whining about.

Service was good, asked for extra pillows and received them. Wifi worked from our room on floor 2, but only just.

Good concept, in the middle of the city. But something I'd be happy to only do once.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple