The Bed and Breakfast
Hotel Magic(Lucerne)
US$158
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bshared bathroomother guestscreaky floorsmoderate walknearby churchloft roomquiet neighborhooda short bus ridetrain stationgreat place to stayyogurtwe loved our stayfree bus passstayed for one nighttea and coffeetop floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Great B and B on a quiet street, not far from city center. We drove to Luzern and found the place easily. Parking is on the street, but easy to find. Isabelle has done a great job renovating, speaks great English, and serves a superb breakfast. She had superb recommendations on places to see and to eat dinner. Had an internet terminal to borrow, as well as bikes to rent. Only downside is that she closes in winter....

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnHMapleValley_WA
Reviewed 3 October 2007

I stayed at this place in early September (one night), as I was passing through Switzerland on my way to Germany.

Booked the place at a rate of $65 US via Hostelbookers (this price is in line with what I've seen on the hotel's website). Booking it via this third party was a good idea, because I couldn't find a way to book online directly with the hotel (I would have to call from the US, which was out of the question.)

Location and first impressions: The hotel is located about 3/4 mile from the main train station, and it's easy to get there...unless you take the suggested directions from the Hotel website. (The easiest way from the train station by foot is to go in the opposite direction of the lake and turn right on Pilatusstrasse. Walk about 5-6 miles and you'll find another main road called Obergrundstrasse. Take a left on that road, walk past the church and look for Taubenstrasse. Turn right on Taubenstrasse and walk 100 m to find a small sign for the place.)

Upon arrival, I looked at the place - I agree with previous reviews of this place looking a bit IKEA-ish (for me, this is not a bad thing). I knocked on the door and was greeted by Madeline, a VERY sweet lady who is one of the employees there. She recognized me and addressed me by name the entire trip, which is a rarity for me, and she had a good working knowledge of how to get to Mt. Pilatus (I was able to buy a ticket directly from the hotel) and some of the locations in the city of Lucerne.

Accomodations: I was placed in a room on the first floor, with a shared bathroom (the bathroom is shared with one other room) and the reservations area. The bed was pretty comfortable, although not exceptional, and the bed was also a bit low for my tastes (I'm a rather tall guy). The room is rather small (200 sq. ft.), but it's not out of line with other European rooms. The desk was a little annoying, as it was on the other side of the power outlet, so getting work done was somewhat challenging. Finally, it was difficult to find a way to close out light from the outdoors (to prevent people from seeing me while I was changing). The place has free wireless internet, but my room didn't have an alarm clock, so I had to ask Madeline for a wake-up call (she gladly did so).

The bathroom and bedroom were very clean throughout the stay, and the shower was, in general, larger than the showers I used in previous places I stayed.

Breakfast and service: Breakfast is complimentary and consists of a handful of cereals, breads, coffee/tea/espresso/cappucino, some cheeses and meats...most of the things one might expect in a Swiss continental breakfast. Overall, it was quite good, and it was nice to read some of the others' opinions of the place (they have a guestbook in the kitchen, along with a small minibar with drinks and snacks - they ran about 10-25% above the cost of the prices at the vending machines in the city, which is not unreasonable).

As I mentioned before, the service from Madeline was very friendly and rapid (quite responsive), and with her help I was able to check out Pilatus and take a lake tour on my way back. I also got back to the hotel after the check-out time, but Madeline was very nice about it (I checked out prior to leaving, and she kept the luggage by the reception area, so that I could get everything quickly when I left). She also sent me a "thank you" e-mail after I left (I put down some feedback in the guestbook), which is a really pleasant surprise.

Tips:
1. Since there are a small number of rooms here, this is a place you need to book in advance. There was no vacancy the day I arrived here.
2. There doesn't appear to be an elevator here, and most of the bathrooms are shared (for me this wasn't a problem, as I was sharing a bathroom with 2 people). This might be an issue with others.
3. Stick to the main streets (Pilatusstrasse, Obergrundstrasse) if you're on foot, because the layout of the streets can make walking around the city fairly confusing.
4. Go into the city of Lucerne. Seriously. It's beautiful...even if it's obscenely expensive.

Overall, it's a decent budget hotel (by itself), but it has excellent service and a fantastic price point ($60-100 for 1-2 people), considering that most hotels in the area (near the lake) run $150-$300 a night.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank gmax58
Reviewed 23 September 2007

A unique, charming and very reasonable B&B. The inn keeper (Isabella) is a younger, vibrant woman who interacts with the guests and offers good recommendations on local restaurants and points of interest in the city. The well maintained garden welcomes guests to mingle with others as we enjoyed happy hour with some New Zealander’s-THAT’s what it’s all about-meeting others from different cultures and having a nice time chatting over cocktails! This inn certainly allows for that type of interaction if you’re after that. A quiet, convenient location (not too far by bus or a longer walk from town), somewhat residential but somewhat city like. You can still walk to nearby local restaurants but don’t feel as though you’re in the hustle bustle of the city. The building has been beautifully restored and it’s obvious the inn keeper has a keen eye for decorating. Little features like fresh flowers add to the charm of this inn. A very simple breakfast, nothing special but great coffee! The downside, no air conditioning and poor circulation during a very hot summer. Windows were difficult to open. You must be ok with sharing a bathroom. New experience for me but this inn draws curtious guests who are clean and don’t overextend their use of the bathroom. There are several bathrooms on many levels so waiting didn’t seem like too big of an issue. The guests were diverse, a mix of hip younger types traveling Europe to father and daughter staying while we were there. I highly recommend this inn, not luxury but I’m glad I didn’t miss out on experiencing this beautiful, relaxed atmosphere. It makes you want to start an inn of your own!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Chaska16
Reviewed 7 September 2007

I'm so glad that I stayed here with my family in June. Evelyne & Isabelle were extremely warm and welcoming and made our stay very memorable. We had the family room on the 2nd floor and our room was spick and span, the shared bathroom was roomy and very clean. The town centre was only a short walk away (around 20 minutes) and because it's located in a mostly residential area, it was really quiet and peaceful.

Really loved this place and would not hesitate to recommend it to others. In fact, I'd gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Very simple design but very clean. The owner is very friendly and gave a lot of useful information. Got free internet connection in all rooms---WIFI.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends