“It's a house, that's old and Swiss! (That serves great food!!!)”
Review of Old Swiss House

Old Swiss House
Ranked #9 of 399 Restaurants in Lucerne
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: German, Swiss, European, Central European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Warwickshire
“It's a house, that's old and Swiss! (That serves great food!!!)”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As per other reviews, this place is a beautiful old building, decorated in an "olde worlde" fashion that serves traditional food delivered by waitresses in traditional dress. It is not cheap, but it didn't feel more expensive than anything else in Switzerland. Yes, I had the signature Schnitzel dish (maybe a lack of imagination, but "when in Rome") and was not disappointed. It is HUGE - I have a big appetite and I struggled to finish. Lot's of meat, lots of breadcrumb, lots of butter, lots of pasta (not needed!) and lots of butter. (Yes, I mention butter twice - this is NOT a low-calorie dish).
Service was very friendly and efficient. Having your main cooked table-side may seem a bit gimmicky , but why not?!
3 x courses (we shared a dessert - the chocolate mousse looked too good to ignore!) with wine was around £200 for the 2 of us. I think that it was worth it and would recommend to anyone when visiting Lucerne.

2 Thank TerryMWarwickshire

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toledo, OH
“Experience to be remembered”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We loved our visit to the Swiss House. First, its ambiance and character is immediately recognizable. Every nook and cranny commands a look-see, as there are gorgeous pieces everywhere.
Then it was very enjoyable having and watching the table side cooking of the Wiener Schnitzel which was absolutely delicious too. We also order chocolate mousse which was served table side too. It was interesting how she brought the bowl of whipped cream and the bowl of mousse and plated them.
And yes, it was pricey, but one of those lifetime experiences that was well worth the visit!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank aleach
Elgin, Illinois
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I felt like I was in another world in this restaurant. The prices were very high, and by far the most expensive meal of our entire vacation. That being said the food was very good. I had the schnitzel that was cooked table side, it was their featured entree. The amount of butter they use was hard to watch going in, and probably not needed, but I just told myself "I am on vacation." My husband had the beef stroganoff, he liked it very much. Both meals served with noodles.

The owner of the restaurant seated us, and took our orders. I have to say that I felt quite bullied due to the fact that we only ordered one appetizer for the both of us. She almost looked disgusted, and we quickly added on another. We had cheese croquettes, amazing, and asparagus soup, also very good. I just felt very intimidated and it really skewed my experience there. Another server took care of us the rest of the time and she was very nice.

I would probably never go back. It's a place where you have to dress a little nicer and sit a little straighter. However, I am very glad that we did go for the Swiss experience.

1 Thank Erica J
San Rafael, California
“Old world feel but...”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Perfect decor and setting with professional service. But 52 CH (@$60.00) for schnitzel at lunch (for one person) had me expecting the best schnitzel of my life. It was fine. The presentation, they prepare it table side, is impressive and entertaining but the schnitzel is quite doughy...a pity since the meat inside was very good. My husband's veal dish was also good and almost as expensive. We are happy to have had the experience but would not return.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank Patolsen2
Gloucestershire
“Top of its game”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was actually back packing around Switzerland for a week with my 7 year old daughter but we packed a smart dress and shoes each which we changed into on the train, stuffed our packs into one luggage locker at the station (9CH) and got a taxi to here (12CH) for lunch. We'd reserved a table which was fortunate as it got busy.

We were greeted by the owner who is charm personified. All the serving staff were highly efficient and professional. The owner let us choose our table as we were early and we got a nice spot in the pink half in a corner with a great view of all the schnitzel preparing going on at the other tables! (56CH but we didn't ordered it ourselves).

Alice had cream of asparagus soup (16CH) - she said it tasted like heaven - I tried it - it did, rock lobster (58CH) and lemon sorbet - would not be deterred by the vodka and prosecco it contained (17CH) - had a bit of a kick to it as you might expect but she ate it all. I had a green salad (15CH), the vegetarian plate (34CH) and the chocolate mousse small portion (11CH). All top notch quality. We shared a 70cl bottle of water (11CH). Total bill was about £120 including a 10% tip (discretionary and highly deserved). So not cheap by a long shot but considering it's Swizerland (and I paid nearly the same for two 3 course meals in Disneyland Paris for appalling food and service) it's really quite reasonable value I thought considering the quality. Even the toilets were elegant - I'll include a photo to prove it!

The other customers were a mixture of well dressed Swiss and casually dressed tourists. The atmosphere was quite formal as you'd expect.

Lovely place to go for a special treat (or once a week if you're very rich).

2 Thank jojozara