“Far Better Than Expected”
Review of Old Swiss House

Old Swiss House
Ranked #10 of 412 Restaurants in Lucerne
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Honestly, someplace named the "Old Swiss House" sounds like a tourist trap, with Swiss costumes, and the exterior looks a bit cliched. However, I can't emphasize enough that the food and the service are absolutely superb. This is a class restaurant. As others have mentioned, a fair part of their food is prepared table side, which is very nicely performed. The wiener schnitzel was excellent in particular.

Along their wall, they have the signed pics of various politicians and celebrities, including loads of stars and starlets and most of the recent US presidents, as is not unusual. What is a bit unique is that in among this group is a pic thanking for eating there from the Three Stooges. Made my day somehow.

1  Thank NJ-Eric

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Truly authenthic swiss food right in the heart of tourist district. Great food, good ambience and good service. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Wouldn't recommend for those bargain hunters.

1  Thank chrisda p
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My boyfriend and I had a 14 hour layover in Zurich, so we decided to visit Lucerne. I am so disappointed we wasted a meal at Old Swiss House. We based our decision to go here on Frommer's guide and the convenient location, but the food was average and over-priced. Our waitress was friendly, but the manager was very rude to us.
I was just getting over a stomach bug, so I only had a glass of wine and a few bites of my boyfriend's overpriced wienerschnitzel. It was neat how the waitress made it by the table, but it was nothing to write home about.
Then when the bill came, there were some mysterious charges listed. The waitress couldn't explain, so she brought out the manager who was very rude in explaining that they were charges for the bread we didn't order and an additional charge because I didn't order a meal.
She was very inflexible, so we just paid and left. Very disappointing.
I would not recommend this place.

9  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As per other reviews, this place is a beautiful old building, decorated in an "olde worlde" fashion that serves traditional food delivered by waitresses in traditional dress. It is not cheap, but it didn't feel more expensive than anything else in Switzerland. Yes, I had the signature Schnitzel dish (maybe a lack of imagination, but "when in Rome") and was not disappointed. It is HUGE - I have a big appetite and I struggled to finish. Lot's of meat, lots of breadcrumb, lots of butter, lots of pasta (not needed!) and lots of butter. (Yes, I mention butter twice - this is NOT a low-calorie dish).
Service was very friendly and efficient. Having your main cooked table-side may seem a bit gimmicky , but why not?!
3 x courses (we shared a dessert - the chocolate mousse looked too good to ignore!) with wine was around £200 for the 2 of us. I think that it was worth it and would recommend to anyone when visiting Lucerne.

2  Thank TerryMWarwickshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We loved our visit to the Swiss House. First, its ambiance and character is immediately recognizable. Every nook and cranny commands a look-see, as there are gorgeous pieces everywhere.
Then it was very enjoyable having and watching the table side cooking of the Wiener Schnitzel which was absolutely delicious too. We also order chocolate mousse which was served table side too. It was interesting how she brought the bowl of whipped cream and the bowl of mousse and plated them.
And yes, it was pricey, but one of those lifetime experiences that was well worth the visit!

3  Thank aleach