“Great location, friendly staff”

Sorell Hotel Rueden
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Schaffhausen
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Very close to the train station and the heart of the old town Schaffhausen. Lovely rooms and a great breakfast with friendly staff. Some great character in this hotel while still being modern. We were upgraded with one of our rooms so that we could be close together as a large family; the only hotel during our 3 week trip that accommodated us in this respect. Thankyou very much :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jann F, Manager at Sorell Hotel Rueden, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Brody & Family
Thank you for your chearful feedback. It was nice having you and your family here! When we have the option to put families together (depends on availability of rooms), we are happy to do so. It's nice to see that this small thing is being appreciated! :-)
Hope you had a good trip after Schaffhausen, too.
Yours
Jann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in the hotel with my husband for one night. The room was lovely, with wooden beams and a view of the roofs of the old houses. The hotel itself is beautiful, with an impressive assembly hall and staircase. The staff was wonderfully helpful and agreable. And the location of course, is perfect, next to the main station and all attractions. We loved! Just had a slight problem with the church bells which prevented me to fall asleep, but i eventually got used to it. All in all a very good experience!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you, Soleil, for your Feedback. It makes us happy to see, that you and your husband had a good time here. Hope to see you around again soon!
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed with three teenagers at the hotel for one night. I had my 13 year old daughter with two friends of her's with me. The service was very friendly, always with a smile. The location is perfect at the edge of the pedestrian zone. The building used to be a guild hall and still has impressive elements of it. The architecture preserved old elements (like the main assembly hall with beautiful frescoes and the impressive wooden staircase) and added some modern elements in stone and glass.
The rooms are clean, and functional. We had two rooms where wooden beams ran through and gave it more of a charm.
Breakfast was plenty and in the cool setting of the entrance hall. I would go and stay there again.

Room Tip: I would go for the 4th or 5th floor because of the beams and try to have a view.
Green Features: They have a number of eco friendly activities in place.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you Janos for your feedback. It was nice having you all here!
Yes, the building is quite unique with all its stukko and wooden elements.I'm happy you recognized it.
I'm looking forward to hosting you again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is very close to the train station and on the edge of the historic part of Schaffhausen. It is in a historic building that has been retrofitted. As far as I could tell, the guest rooms are all in the upper part of the building in what was once storage space. The architect fashioned the rooms around existing beams--combined with the IKEA-type furniture, the effect was more quirky than charming. The room was otherwise clean, quiet, and comfortable. The staff was helpful and the breakfast good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Arwen, thank you for the notes you left on TripAdvisor.

You're quite right about the historicity of the building. "Rüden" is indeed a historic building.

Let me just add some information about it that might be useful and interesting for future guests to know:
The guest rooms are indeed all in the upper part of the building. That makes them very quiet, because they're far away from any street noise. In the lower part of the building, there are many meeting rooms. The most impressive of them is the historic guild hall ("Zunftsaal" in German).

When the architect re-constructed the building in the late 90's, he was ordered to build a "house for medical trainings". That's where parts of our furniture comes from. You thought, the furniture was from IKEA. That's not the case, its furniture that was modern in the 90's and that was easy to clean. We are now in the process of putting new furniture into our hotel rooms. You noticed perhaps the new but historic-looking beds. We have put them in a few months ago. By the end of this year, we will also exchange the cupoards and the desks and adjust them to one beautiful and unique style. I'm sure you will like it.

I'll be happy to pass on your compliments about our friendly staff.

Hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I travel quite frequently for business and inevitably stay in many chain hotels. I had heard that the available hotels in Schaffhausen were likely to be "quirky" so I arrived with anticipation, not really knowing what to expect.

I arrived by taxi, from Zurich airport, and was pleased to find that the hotel was located in a good position, close to a number of shops and restaurants. The check-in staff was friendly and it was a straightforward process where WiFi was proactively discussed, as was breakfast and all the usual points covered. As with most people in Switzerland, the English language skills were excellent (I just wish my Swiss/German skills were anywhere near as good!).

There is a lift right next to check-in, which took me to the 4th floor and my room. There's an interesting mix of old and new which some may have mixed feelings about. Personally, I liked it a lot. The room was very basic but comfortable and very clean. In my case there was a single bed which wasn't a problem. One thing which would have been nice - tea and coffee in the room. No big deal though. There is slight noise from the nearby railway, and church bells but nothing intrusive.

The next morning the breakfast was traditional continental, with the addition of eggs and bacon available. Very nice and set me up for the rest of the day.

All in all, it was a positive experience and somewhere I would happily stay again.

Room Tip: If you want a double bed, ask.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jef R
Jann F, Manager at Sorell Hotel Rueden, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you very much Jeff for your cheerful and detailed feedback! By writing this review, I think you help other travelers a lot to learn what to expect in our hotel and to find out whether this is the right hotel for them.
I’d be very nice to have you stay with us again soon! If you want, feel free to ask me for a German lesson next time you come. It’s not as hard as one might think…! 
Qiryat Ata, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

we orderd duble room and we got 2 sparet bed.
we expected to have one bed for us.
you have to confirm the order with the client befor.
the brekfet is good, the hotel is fine and the location is perfect.
ther is a problem with parking.
thank you.

Room Tip: we got 2 sperat bed insted of 1 duble bed.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jann F, Manager at Sorell Hotel Rueden, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Shalom Dany. Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to see that you gave us a decent grade, thank you for that. Concerning the bed, we already talked about that. When booking through a travel agent, we don't always receive all the special requests such as bed type and the like. I suggest to contact us before the actual arrival in order to give us all the information that will make your stay a pleasurable one.
Hope to see you again soon! It was nice having you two stay with us!
Woburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I traveled to Schaffhausen on business. The hotel was convenient and located in the town center so it gave me an opportunity to see the old section of the town. The bed was comfortable, the facilities clean and the staff was very helpful. I would stay again if I visit the area in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a window
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jann F, Manager at Sorell Hotel Rueden, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Donald
Thank you so much for your nice feedback. It was a pleasure having you as our guest! We hope you will visit Schaffhausen again - it's always a nice place to spend a day or two.
Yours