“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
One-Day Glacier Express Tour with Private Guide
Ranked #37 of 685 things to do in Swiss Alps
More attraction details
Owner description: This train cuts through the Swiss Alps, providing passengers with some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We loved traveling in Switzerland but this trip was highly overrated. Though it was comfortable we would have much preferred other methods of seeing the areas. The most scenic aspect was just outside of Zermatt which you will see with any train. We also found that the windows in the Glacier Express were very reflective and made photography quite difficult. I am a painter and only need reference photos which I often take from trains and cars - but the quality was particularly poor from this train. Other travelers quickly put their cameras away. If you want a really great train experience - I highly recommend the Hiram Bingham train into and out of Machu Picchu. For this beautiful area of Switzerland just enjoy any train that gets you to the wonderful town of Zermatt.

Visited September 2013

• Thai first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“A Very Special Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is something I have always wanted to do and I am so glad I had the chance the scenery is breathtaking and the train is wonderful for viewing from because there are panoramic windows all way round we had a lovely lunch on board and all the staff were very friendly most of the time we were surrounded by snow clad mountains and beautiful mountain streams. A sight to behold.This is not a cheap trip but well worth the cost as it was a wonderful experience.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Sonia B
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Glacier Express - Switzerland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We travelled from the Hotel Kreuz (Leissigen) to the local railway station, we caught the train to Brig where we boarded the Glacier Express. A very special train that takes you high up into the Alps, where you witness some spectacular views and some wonderful scenery. At some points the houses are so far down they look like toy houses.

The Glacier Express is a very comfortable train with massive side windows and roof windows, for a full viewing experience.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank bigalw35
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Poor value”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We took the Glacier Express in August from Zermatt to St Moritz and we went first class.

Of course, the scenery is beautiful and the carriages are comfortable. No complaints there.

However, I had made the expensive mistake of pre-booking lunch. We were given the following:

1. Starter: Some leaves from a bag of salad.

2.Mains: 'Beef stroganoff' - this was actually rather a nasty stew, served with 'Vichy carrots' (simple boiled, sliced carrots) and rice.

3. Dessert: Tiramisu or cheese. I chose the tiramisu. Unfortunately, it was still frozen, so I sent it back, and this is where the trouble started. The waiter came out and said he would take the dessert and bring it back to me an hour later when it had fully defrosted. I refused this as I really didn't fancy eating it at all by then, let alone after it had spent another hour in a warm kitchen on the train. He did not offer me a different dessert and was quite unfriendly. So I took the opportunity to tell him that the whole meal had been extremely poor and was very, very over-priced. He then lost his temper with me, as apparently one is not permitted to criticise catering on this train. For the rest of the trip we were subjected to nasty looks from that waiter and other staff. That made us feel even less welcome!

Incidentally - a warning. When the train staff come round and offer you a liqueur after that horrible meal, they do not tell you that you will be charged for it later, and that it is not cheap either. Luckily, we refused.

I wrote to Glacier Express and received a reply from the catering company saying that because no-one else had said anything about the meal, we had no grounds for complaint. They also said that the train was busy and so were the staff, who work in difficult conditions. This is simply not true: there were just six other people in our carriage and none of the others were crowded either.

I have done a lot of train trips in many different companies, and this one has to be the worst value ever.

Just get on a normal train and save your money. Take a packed lunch!

Visited August 2013
25 Thank Jazzjazzy
Austin
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful Way to See the Alps”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

After reading the other reviews I realize that we did a few things that made our trip memorable if not magical. First, we planned our itinerary to spend the night before in St Moritz (very expensive but worth it) on the front end and Zermatt on the backend. You can also do the reverse as they have two trains going in opposite directions daily.

We preordered the three course lunch when we booked online. Our meal was served at our seats and was delicious. The wine selection was excellent.

The online ordering website is confusing. It is a two step process: you secure your seat reservation on the Glacier Express (one charge) and then you purchase a train ticket (second charge). The meal is a third charge but could be done at the time of reserving your seat. Take your time booking.

We had three people in our party who were over 65 and the trip was a perfect way to see the beautiful Swiss countryside. Even after several trips to Switzerland spending time on trains we saw parts of Switzerland that we had never seen and wouldn't have if we had not taken the Glacier Express.

I would highly recommend this for people who are comfortable sitting and watching beautiful countryside roll by.

Visited August 2013