“Rooms are too hot!”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Lugano
“Rooms are too hot!”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

It was not my first time at the Grand Chalet and I have always loved it as it is a very cosy hotel, small and homey and everyone is super nice. They have a very good restaurant downstairs (but very expensive) and I love the position as it is easy to go for a walk with my dogs (who are very welcome here). The rooms are Chalet style and usually comfortable. But this year we decided to go for a cheaper north side room and were quite disappointed with the small size. The south facing rooms have much more room. I remembered that it gets very hot during the night but because our room was very small it was roasting in there. Every night around 3 am I had to open the windows really wide and wait for the room to cool down. Even sleeping with the window open did not help. The pillows could also use and update and they are too soft. Definitely go for the bigger rooms!

Room Tip: South facing rooms are 10 times better.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lopalops

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Czech first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Having seen many of the great, famous exclusive hotels in the world I can say that this hotel has everything one can wish for, and more. When you first arrive you are struck by the friendly athmosphere and the willingness to help and welcome you, in a proffessional yet familiar way. Our car was parked for us in the free-of-charge warm garage, the skis placed in the ski room and the luggage put in our room. My wife and I had chosen a room on the back side and it was decorated in a typical swiss alp chalet style, standard size. Newly decorated bath room and a spatious terrace overlooking the mountain.
The restaurant is located beside a lovely sitting room with a fireplace, and the views are spectacular overlooking Gstaad and the alps. The food is excellent and the service as well, they are ranked as Gstaads best restaurant with mentions in the Guide Michelin. The wine list is 30 pages with lots of the famous Bordeaux grand crus. Prices are what they are in Switzerland but its no more expensive than the rest of the town. They even have a smoking room downstairs where my wife and I took our coffee after dinner. Breakfast is good with bread baked in the same day, you can get eggs and bacon on request.
The hotel staff is curteous and friendly and we got a lot of help with questions conserning skiing areas and maps. The TV has a lot of english speaking channels and some english movie channels. I think the only reason this hotel has 4 stars is because they dont have the typical hair dresser and jewellery or fashion shop, or three restaurants. Otherwise it is clearly a five star place with a five+ star service. We even got a bag with something to drink and eat when we left on our way to Geneva airport.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterPilotSweden
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Last week, we were holidaying in Gstaad for the weekend, we dove there without any reservation & the Hotel Grand Chalet came recommended. Unfortunately, it was booked up fully, but I MUST recommend their restaurant "La Bagatelle" where we decided to eat & begin our weekend. Our decision was maybe impetuous, but I certainly was not sorry for this unplanned meal that we had here. Firstly, I was very impressed by the care & attention that the server on our table took to explain his recommendations for lunch. It took us almost a good 12-15 minutes to select from his recommendations, but I noticed very particularly that the server and also his helper who was a very pleasant young lady, went to that extra bit, to delicately explain their chef's handiwork. It actually put us all at so much ease that I can compare his explanations of the dishes we selected from, to a smooth elixir or some vintage wine that you savor before you partake of a good meal.
We began the meal with an Entrecôte (Entrecôte de Boeuf) that was done so deliciously that it disappeared before we could have our second glass of wine.
Our entrees were a whole Chicken (Poulet De Bresse) & an outstanding Sea Perch (Loup De Mer Outhier).
The Whole chicken was, as the name suggested, cooked whole with the skin crisp & the flesh juicy & succulent. I really appreciate the way he carved the portions & brought them to our plates. We savored each cut as he placed them with his unique flair for us to devour.
The fish was an amazing piece of culinary art that arrived on our table. The whole Sea Perch was caked into a pastry shell abou

Room Tip: Couldn't stay here as we arrived here unannounced & without reservations. But the superlati...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank AMARDEEPTONYSINGH
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Breathtaking view, nice and big rooms with terrace, very welcoming staff
You fell a home taking a tea in the typical mountain style decorated hall
Good place to go in winter or summer, Gstaad is a very hype winter station and you can cruise some stars walking around

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wsurfer61
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my family in this hotel last Jun. We booked one JS conected with onother room for the kids. I strongly recomend this hotel for every one who is looking for calm location and enjoy the landscape. The tow rooms have balacony with the best view on Gstaad. All staff have shown a wanderful service for us . We felt as we are staying in our own home - maybe more !
It's resturant is one of the best in Switzerland.

We stayed there tow weeks and still we are thirsty to go once again!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank poem-is-me
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I had only one night to stay in Gstaad, and chose this hotel based on itsTripAdvisor reviews. It did not disappoint us. We had a little trouble finding it because there were no signs, and the drive was narrow and a bit steep. But once we got there the hotel was a lovely Swiss chalet on a hillside with very scenic views. A bellman appeared as we got out of our car and whisked our luggage off. The receptionist smiled brightly as we came inside and graciously escorted us to our room on the second floor. Our luggage was already in the room. The room was spacious and had a lovely balcony looking over the town and valley, with mountains in all directions. There was complimentary wifi for our iPad. The dinner on the terrace was upscale and delicious. It was very attentively served as we watched darkness descend on the valley. The weather was unusually warm that day and we were disappointed that the hotel did not have a fan for us to use in the room that night, but it did cool down nicely later on and we had a comfortable night's sleep. The breakfast in the morning was very bountiful, and the waitress actually cooked some fried eggs to order for us. All-in-all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank SMGJr
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night about ten days ago, and I have no complaints whatsoever. The reception staff was extremely friendly and courteous. She even walked me to two different rooms and gave me a choice, explaining to me that one of the two rooms available has better views, but may be just slightly noisier (since it is close to the restaurant). I ended up choosing Room 122, which is huge and comfortable. The view from the balcony is still quite nice, even though not as grand as the marvelous view (of the surrounding mountains and valleys) from some of the rooms located at the front of the hotel. I did not care for the style of the decoration of the rooms (I would call it very nice comfortable grandma style), but they all seem to be very spacious, clean and comfortable. Wifi was included, and the breakfast was great.

The only downside I can think of, about the hotel, is that it is located on a little hill. If one does not have wheels, it may be a little bit of a hike to go back to hotel from the middle of town.

I would definitely recommend this hotel with no hesitation.

Room Tip: If you like beautiful mountain views, be sure to ask the check-in staff for a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends