“Feels like home!”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Kristiansand
“Feels like home!”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I literarily miss this hotel. I´m back home but I want back to Gstaad because of this place! It´s just perfect.

Highlights: expresso machine in the room! The softest bed sheets ever. Perfect scrambled eggs for breakfast with fresh on the spot orange juice! And: free wi-fi!!

The hotel or "home" is just a couple of minuts walking from train station and the staff is super nice! (they even delivered my galla dress as my luggage was late from airline while I was at a party to the party! Totally saved my night)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Arzier, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 July 2012

When I tried to book, my first choices were already full, so through the tourist office I ended up in this little gem in the hart of Gstaad. Very polite and friendly staff and a cute, yet spacious room. Not modern, but clean and great Swiss mountain style furniture.
The restaurant offered a great choice of dishes and had a great wine list.
The hotel is located on a pedestrian street, but is reachable through small roads and with it's own parking garage you have no problem getting here by car.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Rimini, Italia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

For sure one of the best hotel we have never been.

A perfect mix of Switzerland mountain style and charme, the best location in Gstaad!

The hotel Manager is so kind and professional, he really runs the hotel in excellent way.

The restaurant too is the best in Gstaad, where the italian staff makes you feel at home.

A wonderful place for a wonderful stay...strongly recommended!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,609 helpful votes
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I am a norwegian, and our prices are high on almost everything; hotels, food, clothes. Everything! I have always felt a little ashamed when talking to tourists about my country because we have so much to offer, so much to show our visitors, but always at a ridiculous high cost. However, from now on I will say; "our prices are high, but you could always go to Gstaad and be ripped off instead".

Hotel Olden is a nice hotel. Small and cosy, intimate and with a nice staff. But my God! I paid 1300 USD for one night in a double suite! And do not get caught up in the word "suite". This basement room had a narrow hallway, old pine walls, an uncomfortable sleeping sofa in the living room, just to mention some of the irritating details. In addition the ceiling was so low that I had to bend my neck not to bump my head; I am 186 cm tall. The bathroom was so narrow that you had to close the door before passing on to the sink.

The room decor was nice enough, but of no higher standard than a regular mountain lodge resort room in Norway; which I believe is nothing to brag about. By all standards I would say that 400 us dollars a night is the maximum price anyone should pay for a room like this. But of course, when you are in Gstaad you will not pay regular prices for anything.

Gstaad is perhaps one of the worst places I have ever visited. Totally without charm and full of people who have stuffed so much botox in their faces that look like balloons. In addition they all look angry! Sickening rich people who live in their own little twisted bubble, where they for reasons unknown enjoy paying idiotically high prices for things not worth a third of what they waste their money on.
I do not mind paying 1300 US dollars for a luxury room in nice surroundings. However; if I get mugged for all my money someday in the future, I will feel just about the same as I felt after leaving hotel Olden and Gstaad.
Oh, yes...one more thing. Wifi is not included, breafast starts at eight which means you probably will not have time to eat before driving to Zurich for an early flight (I did´nt). The front desk is not open before eight in the morning either. When I come to think about it; you might just as well give them your 1300 USD, and leave. Either way you will not get any value for it.
And why are they having a picture of a completely different hotel than hotel Olden at Tripadvisor?

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else - preferably not in Gstaad.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Imedvindfranord
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Arrogant staff, unacceptable behaviour to me, my wife and 1 year old daughter. Completely ingnoring us and refusing us to give us a table after a 20 minute wait (standing), offering a table to someone who just walked in only waiting for 30 seconds.

Very arrogant staff I and dont understand why people are queueing up for this overpriced place anymore. It used to be good for the last 20 years but I will never ever visit Olden again after this experience.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank HJO78
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We were here in the middle of the summer season - the hotels location is very convient in the centre of town. It makes a change from the hustle of the Palace.

The rooms were comfortable, if a little unispiring but that applies to pretty much every hotel in town.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I can't believe I didn't review it earlier. We spent 3 wonderful days at the Olden last July.
This is an old renovated hotel. We had a beautiful room on the top floor with a small balcony. It rained all weekend but it didn't bother us because the room was perfect and so cozy.
The staff was very attentive and very helpful. Breakfast is not included. Wi fi is free.
It's a beautiful property in the heart of Gstaad.
We can't wait to go back....

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple