“Short but sweet”
Review of Le Grand Bellevue

Le Grand Bellevue
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I were at Le Grand Bellevue for only two nights last week, and during that time we spent almost all of our time at the hotel. Our room was super, we especially enjoyed the sleeping experience, the two full double closets, the large baths, and the tastefully done interior. The main hotel restaurant is excellent, great breakfasts, and we also ate one evening at The Swiss Chalet with friends for an authentic Swiss raclette and fondue evening and that was outstanding, too. There is plenty of room in the lobby, lounge and bar for discussions, reading, and relaxing. My wife had a massage and a Jacuzzi bath in the spa and was very pleased, too. Most impressive for me was that all of the hotel personnel were thoughtful, engaging, and thorough in their contact with me. They also were ready to speak to me in English, German, or French. On our way home to Munich, we stayed two nights in a 5* hotel in Germany and were thoroughly disappointed after our wonderful stay at Le Grand Bellevue!

Room Tip: The hotel lies about 100 m from the street. We had a room facing the street, but we never heard any...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Stephen C,

It gives me great pleasure when I read a review such as yours, where I can see that you have really been able to take advantage of the whole hotel. Thank you so much for your comments!

We pride ourselves on the fact that we have such extraordinary facilities (Michelin restaurant, bars, sushi restaurants, petit chalets, cinemas, Le Grand Spa etc etc), and yet we remain small and intimate with only 57 rooms. This allows us to take better care of our guests, getting to know each one and really caring.

I am sorry to hear that the following 5* hotel did not live up to expectations, although deep inside I feel proud of my staff here for their success in looking after you to that point!

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your return soon, and wish you much happiness in Munich.

There are newer reviews for Le Grand Bellevue

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Grand Bellevue is a five star hotel that really deserves every star. It is in an old building which has been completely renovated but which still retains character. The tasteful decor successfully combines modernity with a lodge feel. It was nice enough in summer (we visited in June), but I imagine it must be very cosy in winter. The room and bathroom were spacious and we had a balcony with views over the village towards the mountains.

The breakfast was very good with both a buffet and an à la carte menu; the eggs Benedicte were delicious. Dinner in the restaurant was also good. There was a decent choice on the menu, although the menu was perhaps a bit more conservative than we expected.

We enjoyed the beautiful spa with its seven different types of sauna.

Above all, the service was superb with staff attentive and helpful throughout our stay. Our only regret is that our stay was so short!

Room Tip: Worth choosing a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin R
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear RobinRatchford,

Sincere thanks for your positive review which I just read. I am pleased you were able to sense the history in this wonderful 101 year old hotel, whilst also appreciating the rejuvenation of both the design and the facilities. It was important that we remain alpine and cosy for the winter, and yet fresh and cool for the Summer. I do hope you shall return to see us in the winter when guests curl up infront of the fire with our Bellevue dark hot chocolate with marshmallows!

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for sending us your autographed book which is now in our special library collection.

Wishing you safe travels and hoping to see you in winter.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The weather in Gstaad was atrocious; with six of our seven-day stay a constant downpour of never-ending rain. With our two young daughters in tow, the prospects of an enjoyable holiday were slim.

But Le Grand Bellevue saved the day.

What an enjoyable place to have passed a rainy week, and that was largely due to the very attentive staff who went out of their way to keep us (and most importantly, our daughters, happy)!

The hotel itself was great, and that's a comment not just about the hotel itself, but more importantly about the staff and level of service they provided.

For families the location is the best of the top hotels in Gstaad. Being just a short walk to the town center/promenade is a unique advantage of Le Grand Bellevue.

The lobby/bars/restaurant that occupy the main floor are stylish and welcoming. The decor manages to fuse old world Swiss charm with some wonderfully eclectic touches that bring some modernity to the ambience (swinging birdcage inspired chairs and a life size statue of a camel in the lobby).

The food was consistently top quality thoughout our stay. The menu is relatively uncomplicated yet still very refined and superbly executed. The tomato buffala mozzarella salad was probably the best I've ever had, and the culinary bookend to that we're the pommes frites that my daughters had were also some of the best I've ever had (admittedly I liberated a few from my daughters plate).

The facilities for families are amazing. The playroom, the beautiful pool and super cool media room/theatre (for the end of day private screening of Monsters University and Despicable Me 2) were lifesavers during our rainy stay in Gstaad. For the grown-ups, the fitness center was very good with new technogym equipment overlooking a pretty zen-inspired garden. The spa is also beautiful and helped keep the grown ups happy during our stay.

As the suite we wanted was unavailable, the hotel suggested we book three rooms (a small suite and two adjoining singles) on the top floor of the one of the chalet annexes (609, 610, 611). The entry to that floor was via room key in the elevator so it was a de-facto suite as we occupied the whole floor as you could not take the elevator to the floor without a room key. The layout worked well (we had the nanny traveling with us as well) as we had plenty of space. If we had one minor critical observation, it was the decor in our rooms. It was a bit too spartan and utilitarian, especially after the expectations that the lobby set. The furnishing in the small suite we occupied evoked more for me a rental chalet (albeit a top end one) where the owners want fairly indestructible but uninspiring furniture. The sofa in the suite clearly was intended to inspire a "shabby chic" look but it reminded me of Ikea in a college dorm room. This rather surprised me given the successful chic vibe the hotel achieved in the lobby and restaurant. The bathrooms in the rooms were large, pretty and very functional. The TVs were high quality with a good multi-lingual selection of stations. The terraces that each room had were great but unfortunately unused due to the weather. The WiFi was stable and very high speed for a hotel.

But what really made the stay a great success (and the true measure of a great hotel) is the staff. Daniel, the owner is ever-present and not in an over-bearing way. He clearly cares enormously about his guests and their experience at Le Grand Bellevue. The concierge staff was first rate: Olivier was there to greet is when we arrived and went to great lengths (as did Daniel the owner/manager) to come up with suggested activities to keep our daughters busy (and great dinner recommendations to keep mommy and daddy sane!): Mr. Sutter, the other concierge, was also very attentive and helpful. Antonio and Edgar, the bellmen went out of their way to help us with everything from kindly driving us around town to various activities, to unlocking the media room so the end of day DVD could be enjoyed---and always with a smile. The spa staff greeted our daughters with smiles on our daily trek to the pool. The service was simply top notch throughout our stay.

Good hotels can often be good simply because they are beautiful facilities in beautiful locations. Great hotels require top rate service that is unfailingly given. Any high-end hotel is Gstaad is going to be a good hotel by lieu of it's location. Le Grande Bellevue is a great hotel. My family and I will be returning and looking forward to it --- especially if there is some sun!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SohoJohn
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear SohoJohn,

My team and I thank you so much for this most kind, and thorough review! Thank you for taking the time to write, and for sharing your thoughts. Your positive points are greatly appreciated; your compliments to the team members shall absolutely be shared with the individuals; and your constructive criticisms shall be taken to an action plan!

Your family were truly delightful, and am so happy that despite this extraordinarily rare patch of weather that you and your family were able to enjoy your holiday here. Gstaad is such a wonderful village and area, with so much to do. Admittedly it is heaven for outdoor activities, but am happy that you were able to discover the brand new riding stables, and the many fabulous restaurants which we have here. You will be pleased to know that we opened our sushi restaurant today, and shall look forwards to your return to share this with you.

Thank you again so much, and my kind regards to you and your family.

Daniel

(It is two days following your departure here, and I am relieved to say the sun has finally returned!)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

After spending weekend in Bellevue i was very happy I choose this hotel from all the available hotels in Gstaad. This destination has been on my list for last 3 years living in Switzerland so I did lots of research of all the hotels and finally choose this lovely first class place. Everything from the first personal welcome by Daniel owner and the manager of the property thru our stay till our departure when the staff perfectly packed our car and waved good bye was wonderful. The hotel is beautiful, full of history and excellent location right at the start of walking zone of the town.
Our room was spacious with beautiful views at the new part of the hotel. Dinner at the Leonard restaurant was delicious as well as were the breakfast that we had on the terrace with spectacular views. You can ask for anything you wish and they will make your breakfast.
Service is big part of this hotel. Daniel was around thru the day making sure we having everything we need. All staff is very friendly, accommodating all our questions and needs.
They are perfectionist in everything they do. One night we decided to dine at the Gstaad Palace and we asked for taxi but the front desk immediately offered to take us over in brand new Porsche and suggested to call them when ever we are ready to come back that was nice. Milan and his staff at the front desk helped us with all our needs and to create perfect weekend. Spa and swimming pool are extensive and great to relax after long day out. The only thing I was missing was refreshment at the pool. I made the suggestion to Milan that they should have drinks available as usual at 5 star hotels. Beauty, tradition, location and friendly service, that pays attention to details makes this hotel excellent choice in Gstaad.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are in the new part of the hotel choose one with balcony and view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank terka05

Dear terka05,

WOW! What an amazing review! Thank you. I am not certain where to begin, but I am so pleased you had such a fabulous stay with us.

I am lucky to have a wonderful team who care so much about our guests' experience, and I am pleased that your research into the top hotels in Gstaad resulted in your happiness here with us.

We remain a small hotel with facilities of a large hotel and it sounds as though you were able to really enjoy our spa, swimming pool, Michelin food on our terrace, and particularly our new Porsche Panamera Hybrids! These are exceptional cars, and we are always happy to pick up and drop off our clients whenever we can to make their/your stay more wonderful (even when you are not in the hotel itself!).

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your return soon, and thank you greatly for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Service was polite and helpful at all times. The pool is lovely. The spa with all its variations on saunas and hammams as well as wonderful chill out areas is a must. Very clean and located in the centre of Gstaad. The restaurant was too quiet although we went during off season.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sheila B,

Thank you for writing such a positive review, it is much appreciated!

I am delighted you were able to spend time in our very special spa. The variety of saunas, hammams, ice grottos and Himalayan salt rooms are an experience to themselves.

Perhaps we can tempt you to return in the active months of July or August when we have the ATP Beach Volley tournament, the Swiss Open Gstaad, Hublot Polo or many of the extraordinary Menuhin concerts?

I do wish you wonderful continued travels.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Bellevue is just wonderful,

It has in the last two three years changed ownership again .

Entirely refurbished it is stunning and has the most wonderful attentive staff as well as the owner manager Daniel always there to greet every guest withnkindness and attention .

The Grand Bellevue strives in every way to make their guests happy and the formula seems to be working .

There are three five star hotels that compete with each other in this gorgeous region , all are good but the family welcome with the family atmosphere are second to none . The location also unlike the other five star properties make it so easy to walk in the Centre of town well worth staying in on your next or first visit to Gstadd.

My visit coincided with the first opening day of the summer season .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jonathon,

Thank you so much for such a humbling recommendation! Gstaad does have a number of wonderful five star hotels, but what we try and deliver here at Le Grand Bellevue is a far more personal experience; without compromising on the extraordinary facilities! As you say, the central location means that we are the only luxury hotel on the Promenade (High street), and the only one in walking distance to all the shops without climbing a hill!

I am fortunate to have an extraordinary team of dynamic individuals who each care so much about our guests, which allows me the time to meet (or try to!) all of our guests personally.

We do look very much forward to your return. In the meantime we shall continue in our goal of delighting each of our guests...

With kind regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

A group of fellow classic car enthusiasts had the enormous pleasure of staying for 5 days at this outstanding Gstaad hotel. No hotel could be more comfortable and have the level of staff competence, courtesy and friendliness as that evidenced at Le Grand Bellevue. It was so perfect, that I found myself looking for fault and there was none. The proprietor, Daniel Koetser seemed to be permanently in evidence, with a welcoming smile and a handshake in the morning and an equally cheerful goodnight at the end of the day. The rooms are impeccably furnished, with every known convenience and the public areas are large and welcoming. The food from the kitchen is to Michelin star standard and the breakfast - both buffet or prepared to order - would satisfy the most demanding guest.
my grateful thanks to everyone at Le Grand Bellevue for a most memorable, enjoyable and comfortable stay. I hope to return.

Room Tip: My room was 602 (in the chalet section of the hotel) but I just know that every room is furnished to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank johnsangster

Dear John,

My sincere thanks for your kind review. It was such a pleasure to have you stay here at Le Grand Bellevue for our Annual June Classic Car Rally. What a wonderful atmosphere with such beautiful cars, and thank you for participating so thoroughly!

We pride ourselves on delivering intimate events, and a Rally such as this was a great success. Our highlights were the black-tie gala dinner in our garage with all the cars surrounding the long table. I do hope you will be participating next year (June 19th)!!!

Wishing you safe driving and a wonderful summer.

Daniel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gstaad
The Alpina Gstaad
#4 of 21 in Gstaad
Ultima Gstaad
Ultima Gstaad
#12 of 21 in Gstaad

Been to Le Grand Bellevue? Share your experiences!