“Another memorable stay”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
London
“Another memorable stay”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at Le Grand Bellevue, and it has again provided an excellent holiday. It has a mixture of being a superb five star hotel, but somehow does not seem to stuffy. The care and attention given by the staff is exceptional, and must be because the owner, Daniel Koetser, seems to be constantly on hand to check that everything is to the guest's satisfaction. It is this example that I am sure inspires his staff.

Our room had excellent facilities, the TV is enormous!, and the spa at the hotel is really superb, my only complaint being that some guests do not seem to respect the quietness of a spa and insist on talking in the various rooms, but that is hardly the hotel's fault.

The breakfast was included in the room price and is bountiful. If you time it right, you certainly won't need lunch. Dinners in the evening were elegant and of an extremely good quality.

The location is perfect for Gstaad, just on the edge of the small town and within an easy walk, with some excellent mountain walks not very far away by cable car.

Many thanks, Daniel, for another memorable holiday.

Room Tip: Face the garden and the chalet rooms are full of character, but beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonPhilipG
Dear LondonPhilipG,

Thank you once again for your kind patronage of our little hotel, and for your kind words sharing your experience with Tripadvisor!

It was with great pleasure that we saw you each morning at your usual corner table, and I thoroughly enjoyed our conversations. (I have purchased the mentioned book on water, and once received and read, I shall place it in our hotel library).

I look very much forwards to seeing you next year, and wish you a wonderful year in between.

With kind regards,

Daniel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Arabic first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

In June I had the good fortune to stay at Le Grand Bellevue and the experience has stayed firmly in my mind. On arrival I had a warm welcome from the personable owner and Managing Director Daniel Koetser, which set the standard for my four night stay. Daniel takes a personnel interest in all his guests comfort and wellbeing and this filters down his team. The front desk is very helpful and friendly as one would expect from a 5 star establishment with an extra ingredient of being proactive, but like the rest of the staff, never intrusive. Twice I was approached at the lifts by a member of staff , asking me by name, concerned that I had forgotten my room key. This was thoughtful and saved some shoe leather! They also kindly supplied me with an 'I-Pad' for my stay. On another occasion I was met by the concierge who had been waiting on the steps of the hotel for my return after the day out ( I had not given my mobile number), to inform me of what he thought was a disaster, the hair cutter that I booked had gone down with flu. The bar staff are also committed and alert, they kept the bar open for me and three other guests on two nights until the small hours without rumblings. I don't like wasting time over breakfast so I was very pleased that my order was taken immediately at sitting and my delicious eggs Benedict arrived as quick as you can poach an egg. I don't know the ratio of staff to guests is, but there is always someone to hand.
The Bellevue is relatively small in the number of rooms (56?) which gives it a homely and intermit feel and punches well above its size in facilities, it even has its own swish ( The Gstaad )yacht club in the grounds! I attended a gala dinner co hosted by the hotel in their underground car park, it was a brilliant venue with outstanding food and a night that I will not forget. The hotel is original and quirky in decoration which succeeds in creating a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, it is not ostentatious but understated luxury . The only problem I had in my stay was that I never mastered the all singing and dancing labour saving lavatories! I was saddened when Daniel waved me off but I will return to Gstaad for a warm Grand Bellevue welcome , a lesson in loos, that is of course if there are any rooms available. Failing that the car park will be fine as long as Daniel's team will provide their undoubted service and excellent food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear fireraiser,

Thank you for this extraordinarily complete review! It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us, particularly for our first annual vintage car rally in June.

We thoroughly enjoyed your presence here and do hope you shall return in the not too distant future. Your eggs benedict await, along with the molten chocolate cake you so enjoyed at the gala dinner in the garage with all the cars surrounding the long table.

I will pass on your remarks to the team. It is kind of you to note the attentiveness of the staff, who work with a great deal of passion. I am hugely grateful to their dedication.

You highly amuse regarding our high tech Closomats. I hope you will be able to optimize them on your next stay!

Wishing you all the best in the meantime.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

From the moment we arrived our every need was taken care of, our car was parked, luggage taken to room, you do not even have to queue at reception to check in. There is a nice living room feeling to the lobby where you get a refreshing in-house brewed ice tea as a welcome drink while sitting on a sofa - then you get your key and you are taken up to your room. The food was delicious and the spa sensational! The brunch was also paerticularly incredible, with the best roasts on offer as well as cheeses, and the whole of breakfast.
We had such a wonderful stay, cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: The front facing rooms have amazing views, and all the rooms are nice and quiet, so one cannot go wr...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ChefGSJ,

Thank you so much for coming to stay with us, and of course for your kind review.

I am pleased you were able to enjoy our Saturday Brunch, particularly our roasts from the Smokey Joe bbq!

I do hope you shall return soon and wish you continued 'cooking' successes!

Spiez, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at the Grand Bellevue in Gstaad repeatedly and each time, it was a fantastic experience. The location of the hotel at the entrance of town is perfect, the entire staff extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. The cuisine is outstanding, breakfast offers a wide choice of mainly local delicacies to satisfy everyone. Weather permitting, meals can be enjoyed on the beautiful terrace which is surrounded by the hotel park. Our room was beautifully decorated. We also enjoyed the fitness room with its very modern equipment and the beautiful spa.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jeannine H,

To have such wonderful returning guests makes the hotel business the most enriching! Thank you so much for your continued support and of course for writing such a positive review.

It is our ambition to tempt all of our guests back on a regular basis, and for us to become that quintessential "home away from home" feel. I am glad that you feel this way here and we look very much forwards to your returning.

My thanks to you, and best regards from myself and the whole team at Le Grand Bellevue!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Barely noticeable that the rain fell five days out of six in Gstaad, Le Grand Bellevue provided the absolute tonic to house/feed/entertain us in the most beautiful manner possible. The rooms are light/comfortable and luxurious, if you are a fan of Daylesford then the toiletries are there along with, and every girl's dream, mirrors you can actually see the back of your hair in, a first in my book!
Daniel, the owner, and his team provided such a friendly fun atmosphere to enjoy, do enjoy the barman's Moscow Mule for a good start to the evening! The food is fabulous, freshest fish and meat, lightest of salads, wonderful Pinot Noir from Valais.
The wellness centre and pool is sublime, the pool the perfect temperature and doors opening onto a terrace with fabulous gardens. We went primarly to go to watch the ATP Tennis tournament, which, by chance was a 2 min walk from the hotel, could'nt have been better. I am still thinking of the transfer to the station and back in the hotel's Porsche Panamera, only way to do it from now on! Go and enjoy this hotel, we did, and I would go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 112Tessa49,

I was so pleased to read your review, thank you! I can tell you fully enjoyed all the facilities here, which is so important. The Swiss Open is hosted here annually and we have the VIP tent and the Media Center on our land resulting in quite an atmosphere here during that time.

Andreas our Barman is awaiting your return to make further Moscow Mules. I agree with you, it's extraordinary how refreshing they are.

I wish you very pleasant onward travels and look thoroughly forwards to your return.

Many thanks again,

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was our first trip to Le Grand Bellevue and it couldn't have been better. The first impression is lasting and the doorman Edgar, who was helpful, smiling, greeted us and was eager to make us feel welcomed.

The check-in is handled professionally as we were showed to our room without any delays. The suite was very comfortable and we settled in.

I had a chance to test the concierge who assisted us in making a dinner reservation at the nearby hotel Alpina. He was a wealth of knowledge and had numerous good ideas on how to enjoy the region.

We had a chance to try the chef's famous hamburger, smoked bacon and locally purveyed meat that was cooked to perfection. The restaurant serves an awesome breakfast and the staff are young and kind.

The hotel design is in good taste and is "classically hip" and the owner with the designer has done an excellent job in tastefully decorating the hotel. The public areas within the hotel are all comfortable and they offer in house; a children's play center, hair salon, spa and physiotherapy. If you enjoy watching movies (with popcorn) you can book the private movie theater, a great option.

Perhaps the most impressive is the owner's presence at the hotel. I cannot remember the time we visited a hotel where the owner is always available to greet the guests, answer questions, and he is almost always available to personally assist guests.

The service is impeccable and the location is superb, right at the footsteps of the Gstaad town. I cannot recall when I last had such a personalized stay in the Swiss Alps.

The hotel is certainly unique and offers whatever you'll need. I can confidently say that I will return and thank you to the staff at Le Grand Bellevue in Gstaad.

PS: The bartender prepares a fantastic Vodka Martini with a twist - don't miss it!

Room Tip: The room category we enjoyed was the suite 307/308
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Paul H,

With such a full and considerate review, I am highly honoured that you took so much time and thought. Thank you.

Your perspective covers a number of what is so important to us, notably the wonderful and caring personnel such as Edgar at the door (whose smile I agree is highly welcoming!), the concierges and their vast knowledge of the area and local interests (I am pleased you enjoyed the wonderful Japanese at Megu, one of my favourites too!) the extensive facilities for families, couples, leisure or dynamic, as well as the delicious elements we have on the menu.

I am delighted that you were able to taste our 'award winning' burger, which is a wholeheartedly authentic burger. Sometimes one has to be brave to choose a burger when confronted with all the Michelin tier delicacies!

I do look very much forwards to welcoming you and your family back very soon, and wish you wonderful explorations and dining in the mean time.

With kind regards,

Daniel (& the Team at Le Grand Bellevue!)
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you want to be made to feel like Royalty then this is the hotel for you. The recent refurbishment of the Hotel interior and the rooms has been very tastefully done. The welcome is superb, the staff are wonderfully helpful and friendly and the dining experience is off the scale.
I have visited this hotel 3 times and it feels like home every time I come back. I can think of no other hotel in Switzerland at which I would rather stay. The owner goes out of his way to make you feel at home and I can even get my Aston Martin washed in the underground Parking garage if I wish. I hope to return soon.

Alastair Winn,
Central Scotland

Room Tip: I have had 3 rooms at this hotel and frankly they were all excellent with little noise and all with...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Alastair W,

In reading your review I am pleased to see you have returned safely home following your drive. On your arrival here, you mentioned how you felt below the weather, therefore I was delighted that my team and I saw your departure in good health and spirits.

We enjoy your trip here every year, and feel honoured that you have taken the time to write such a review.

We do look thoroughly forwards to your returning again, and send you all the best from the sunny terrace!

Daniel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gstaad
The Alpina Gstaad
#9 of 21 in Gstaad
Hotel Arc-en-ciel
Hotel Arc-en-ciel
#8 of 21 in Gstaad

Been to Le Grand Bellevue? Share your experiences!