“Superb!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Morzine, France
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

My wife, 14 month old son and I stayed at the Alpina for a short break in February. It was a truly wonderful experience. The staff were more than helpful and welcoming to us and bent over backwards to ensure our son had everything he needed. The baby bathrobe and slippers plus toiletries bag were a wonderful touch in the room. The on request transfer service to and from the town was fantastic, especially with a child, although there wasn't a car seat for our baby.

The only downside was our room, 106, was above/near the kitchens so we did hear some noise when falling asleep and waking up but not loud enough to keep you awake.

We are counting down the weeks until we can return and experience it all over again.

Room Tip: Choose a suite if you are travelling with a baby/small child as the Deluxe rooms are a little tight...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
TheAlpina G, Manager at The Alpina Gstaad, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear NickBethHayward

It is very nice to hear that we have succeeded showing you our child friendliness. We apologize for the noise in room 106 and we promise to find a solution for this issue.

Many thanks for your highly appreciated confidence and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Eric Favre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

2 adults (41 &36), 2 children (5 & 1). We stayed here for 2 nights in a Jr. Suite as sort of a "getaway". I had been in the area on business and my family came for a short visit.

Overall impression: This brand new 5* property located in Gstaad Switzerland is absolutely gorgeous in just about every way. While staff are dedicated and professional, keep in mind that this is a seasonal hotel and things aren't perhaps as fluid as they would be in a year round property (especially those that have been in business awhile). I would put it on my list of the top 10 hôtels in Switzerland (top 5 perhaps) & would certainly recommend staying there over any other hotel in Gstaad (& the surrounding area). Keep in mind that luxury costs and there is nothing cheap about The Alpina. Rooms, Restaurants, and spa all reflect prices for a 5* property located in one of Switzerland's "playgrounds for the wealhy".

Arrival: We called the hotel for shuttle service from the train station. They were there to meet us in a Range Rover, helped with the luggage, and got us up the hill with no problems. As others have mentioned, you go through a little "james Bond" tunnel in order to reach the reception area. I myself am not a fan of this, but it does have a neat feel to it.

Check-in/lobby: No problems here, I think it took al of 5 minutes to get checked-in. The reception is underground and although the whole lobby area has a darker feel to it, it is well decorated/furnished, comfortable, and welcoming.

Room: Incredible. Once you get past the somewhat complex lighting system, the room offers just about any amenity you can think of. Electric fireplace (the kids loved this). Subdued motion sensor lighting (for late night trips to get a drink or use restroom). Large comfortable bed. Sofa. Lounge chairs. Desk. Large screen TV. Plenty of closet space. Large furnished balconies accessable from both the bedroom and living room areas. Automated awning system (for those bright days).

Bathroom: Built in "panel" t.v.. Separate Rainfall shower and bathtub. Aqua de Parma soaps. Shaving kit. Hairbrush. Tooth brush/toothpaste. Etc. Large and spaceous. More than suitable.

Housekeeping: No problems here. Everything was spotless at all times. Towels and soaps were replenished regularly. Turn down is of course a standard service (unfortunate that the baby was always sleeping aound turndown time). Public areas are well maintained as well.

Spa: Indoor and outdoor pools. Salt room. 2 indoor hot tubs. Kiddie slide. Fitness room. "Juice" bar. Friendly & professional staff. Lovely spa in general. My wife went for treatments and seemed to enjoy them. My time was spent more in the pool areas with my eldest daughter, which was nice, but I do regret not spending a bit of "alone time" here. Many "amenities" (Saunas, steamrooms, etc) are located in the sex specific changing rooms so I didn't get a chance to use them. A positive note: One of the lovely staff members had assisted my daughter in the female changing area while I was in the men's. Oh. The director (Joclyn?) is quite pleasant as well.

Hairdresser: Noami was friendly, talkative and professional. I can't really say more than that. I don't have much hair left so it's not as if any of my haircuts go beyond 20 minutes anyways.

Movie theatre: That's right, if you're in the mood for a private cinema experience, it's available right here at the Alpina Gstaad (of course you'll be paying extra). If this place was closer to where I live, I would love to rent this for my daughter's birthday.

Lounge: The lounge, while nice, can get a bit cramped at times. None of the furniture seems to match, which seems a bit aesthetically odd. The terrace is fabulous (should weather permit of course).

Breakfast: The buffet was good in general. Plenty of options and quality ones at that. Service was decent. Food was more than acceptable. Breakfast is served in the Sommet restaurant which is nice but perhaps not really set up for presenting a breakfast buffet in the best manner (everything is placed together on a rather smallish buffet area giving it a "cramped" feel"), but that's about the only complaint I can think of. Oh. The coffee could be better but I can't really hold that against them.

Restaurants: There are 3 restaurants on site. The Swiss one was closed while we were there leaving the Japanese (megu) and Fine dining (Summet) options available (I'll rate these separately later).

Location: For a view you really can't beat The Alpina. Just stunning. It's the highest hotel in town. Keep in mind that this means that you're also a 10 minute walk to town (or a 5 minute ride with the housecar). Not a problem by any means because going to town is downhill. Going back to the hotel is uphill. Again, there is a housecar available, my choice however was to grab a taxi from the train station (8 Swiss francs).

Conclusion: I can on I suppose but I think my point was made. There's alot of services at this hotel. It's in a stunning location. The rooms and layout are fabulous. It seems that no expense was spared in building the place. It's just one of those places that one needs to go experience. While I wouldn't state that Gstaad should be a priority when visiting Switzerland, I'd say that The Alpina would be a priority when visiting Gstaad.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank theswissmister
Dear theswissmister

Thank you very much for taking some of your precious time to share your detailed impressions. It is a pleasure to receive such an overall positive feedback. I will definitely share your comments with the entire team.

We would love to welcome you and your lovely family again.
Warm regards

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Me and my wife had gone to Swiss last year with our family for 10 days. we had started with Lucerne to Lugano and finally to Gstaad. although we stayed in best of properties at all the 3 places like Lucerne palace, splendid royale but Alpina Gstaad was class apart.

Although people back in India had suggested Gstaad palace but my travel agent (windmill holidays) advised to try Alpina. and trust me i would never regret following there suggestion.

The hotel itself has fab interiors. The rooms and facilities (pool, kids area, theater, spa) are to die for.

Now the thing which was the deal clincher - Food. we Indian can never resist without our Indian food for a long time. This part of our travel being in the end thus we were already craving for Indian food. The chef came to our rescue and prepared the BEST EVER Dal (Lentils) and rice for B'fast.

i would highly recommend everyone this hotel. i cannot think of even a single problem or complaint.

Room Tip: go for the rooms with a mountain view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hardikgudhka
TheAlpina G, Manager at The Alpina Gstaad, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear hardikgudhka
Thank you for your encouraging comments.
We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to The Alpina Gstaad.
Best regards
Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Me and my family went to The Alpina to eat raclette. The feeling when you entered was warm and cosy with a perfect balance of modern and classy.
The food was excellent but the staff was a little confused. This might have been because the hotel had just recently opened a few days back when we were there and their service might be much better now.
The Alpina has everything I could ask for in a very good hotel minus the stuffiness that accompanies The Palace. Im looking forward to seeing their future success and visiting again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Addy88
Dear Addy88
Thank you for the valuable comment. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your evening at our Swiss Stuebli! We have taken your valuable comments very seriously and will make sure that our service attention is improving.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
All the best,
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Arrived on the 13th December when the Park and the Palace were shut so was a good opportunity to try somewhere new and we were not disappointed! Beautiful new hotel with fantastic friendly service and management! The japanese restaurant was first rate and the spa probably the best in Gstaad. Would suggest paying the extra for the suites and good views.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yousef M
Dear Yousef M
Thank you very much for your great comments and sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to the Alpina Gstaad!
Best personal regards
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

First things first. We are pretty fussy travellers. And have never really found great hotels in Europe. We tend to go to Asia and stay at the Aman hotels. On this occasion we decided to spend four nights pre-Christmas to get us all in the right frame of mind with the snow and the mountains.

I had read about the Alpina Gstaad in the Gallivanter's Guide so decided to give it a go.

In short hugely impressive for a relatively young hotel (only finished one year ago). The architecture is incredible, the design off the chart, the rooms very tasteful, the pools (indoor and out) the most specatcular I have seen anywhere in the world (you will know what I mean when you go).

You can tell no expense has been spared anywhere in the hotel and at $340m for 56 rooms this hotel is a huge investment (particularly on a per room basis) in Gstaad but also Europe more broadly. If only there were more like this.

Restaurants good particularly MEGU, the Japanese one (we were hesitant coming from London given how good the Japense food here is but were very impressed). Service was superb with Eric Favre, the relatively new General Manager, leading from the front and very visible from breakfast to evening.

We will return. Gstaad by the way is lovely, has a very nice village feel, is small and with some amazing unspoilt areas in the surrounding countryside. It continues to grow on you during your stay.

Do try the husky snow sled rides with Rene Minartz and ask to do it in Sparenmoos (if you can brave the single track snow covered road!), really, really special.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

On the whole, we loved the Alpina, a gorgeous, new property with lightly contemporary decor striking the perfect balance of rustic and refined. Comfortable and elegant. The breakfast buffet was very good. Dinner at Megu was excellent. Champagne in the lounge was, well, perfect. Very accommodating and handy shuttle to town. At every turn, Alpina staff welcomed, greeted and asked after us by name. They evidenced a desire to please checked by a touch of professional distance. And an absolutely stunning setting.

That said, I have some dissonance about price and product. It was terribly expensive, which sets a certain expectation. Unbeknownst to us, we arrived pre-season in Gstaad (on the hotel's opening day). While much of the city was still shut down, we paid very high-season prices. We were uninformed shoppers (our fault), but the result was our feeling a bit taken advantage of with the high season prices. On the other hand, we enjoyed uber-quietness, not all bad.

The hotel's tunnel entrance is unusual (if not a bit bizarre to my way of thinking) for an alpine retreat. After a warm welcome (and outnumbered by fresh, eager-to-please hospitality staff) we were led to our room, a spacious, beautifully decorated junior suite. We requested a light, bright room, and this request was accommodated in spades. Two large windows opened to awe-inspiring views at every time of day and night. Perhaps the sense of mystery created via the tunnel entrance heightens the moment you first glimpse these magnificent mountains. A small fireplace added to the cozy ambiance.

At this price point, when it comes to the little things, one expects perfection. While lovely in all the big ways, the Alpina needs to work on some of these, and opening day was not without glitches: heating, lighting and in-room music systems all need some fine-tuning (and the guest needs better control). Staff needs a better understanding of how these systems work so that guests can be properly guided. The bedroom had a nice nightlight; the bathroom had none. It was all on (bright even on the "mood" setting) or all off. The towel warmer and floor heat were warm only for a brief time one day. The bedroom stayed hot. Despite switches in the room suggesting otherwise, bright lights on our balcony turned off automatically at 1am precluding the opportunity to enjoy the mountains in the moonlight. It was impossible to lower lights for reading in bed and keep light for reading on the sofa; we could do one or the other or leave all on bright. All bed linens were not created equally; three of our four days they were great. Though small things, these became little annoyances and were less than one expects for a very premier property.

Nonetheless, if returning to Gstaad, I would definitely give the Alpina another go. Despite the shortcomings, it was a pretty special spot, and I would gladly return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheAlpina G, Manager at The Alpina Gstaad, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Sir, Madam

It was a pleasure to read your positive review and thank you for your honest comment!
It is wonderful to hear your enthusiasm about the hotels design, décor and the stunning setting. We are happy to have indulged you with excellent food, ambience and guest services.
We have taken care of your constructive comments which will help us avoid such recurrence in the future.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at The Alpina Gstaad, where no efforts will be spared to meet and exceed your personal expectations.

Warm regards,