“Nice panoramic hike from Bussalp to Bort”
Review of Bussalp

Bussalp
Ranked #11 of 32 things to do in Grindelwald
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were looking for something less taxing, so took the Postbus from Grindelwald to Bussalp, had a nice coffee and then hiked for about 2.5 hours to Bort, and then some of us took cable car while others continued by foot to town.

2  Thank worldtravelertrainer

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Bussalp is a half-hour bus-ride up from Grindelwald. Everybody seems agreed that the bus-fare is wickedly expensive, but if you are not able to walk or cycle then there is little choice, the road is not open to cars. (Even if it were, just think whether YOU would want to drive it.) The view from the top should help you to forget how much it cost to get there! Go to the viewpoint about 15 minutes walk from the hotel for views of the village and the valley down towards Interlaken. From anywhere up there you cannot miss the Eiger, the Obergletscher and numerous snow-covered peaks. There is a restaurant, if by any chance you still have any money left ...

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I finally convinced my wife to go sledding, she wasn't to thrilled about going but that changed after this experience. We stayed in Grindelwald for the 2nd xmas in a year and we were lucky enough to get tons of snow on Dec 26th, the 27th was breathtaking with snow on all of the trees and village. So we ventured down to the bus station ( more like a little hut) where all the buses are down by the train station, picked up our tickets, took the bus up which was a breathtaking ride with the views. The funniest thing is them playing (there was a convoy of buses at least that day) the horns around all the blind corners, we thought it was due to the oncoming cars but it was to warn the sledders also which I am glad they did or we would have been killed coming down lol.

Anyway fast forward that we got to the top, you get off the bus and they have the sled rentals right there. Neither my wife or I had done it before so we decided to wait until everyone left as there were 3 busses and loads of people. So we took some pictures and just enjoyed the amazing deep blue nearly cloudless sky with the sun glistening the snow on the trees. It was seriously the most beautiful day if you were dreaming of something you couldn't come up with something better.

So off we go and we decided to slide right back down the road, at first my wife was having some trouble controlling the sled, its not difficult but takes a little to get. I had wore my ski helmet with my gopro to record it in 1080p and boy am I glad I did. We took our time but once in a while I tried to go crazy around some of the sharp turns, I only hit one pole that threw me into the snowbank.., that created a little laughter and then not long after I drove up into a barrier and flipped over again, by then I was laughing so hard I could barely get up. Not long after I did a 360 like I hit a banana in Mario Kart lol. My face was sore for hours after from laughing so much. Once i was able to catch my breath I caught up to my wife and we continued down, stopped at a bar on the way for a beer and agin took some photos and enjoyed the view.

We slid down until the signs said we had to stop and then walked the test of the way which wasn't much and dropped the sleds back to the bus station. My wife and I enjoyed it so much but it was our last day so we didn't get to do it again although we will do it again someday.

After we got back to our apartment I showed my wife the video because she was ahead of me and missed it all, we both laughed so much we had tears coming out.

If your considering going do it because you wont experience this to many places, i have never seen another. As I stated my wife was not thrilled about going but she loved every second of it and was really glad we did it.

13  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed 2 November 2013

There are few ways to get to Bussalp, the easiest being by bus from Grindelwald, but this is also the most expensive. The most difficult route, but the most rewarding, and free, is by walking from Grindelwald up through the forest to the Aellfluh mountain hut, then on a good track up to Bussalp. It takes about 3 hours. Alternatively, take the First gondola to Bort and walk for 2 hours on a level track from there, or go to First, head to Faulhorn and go down to Bussalp.

The views from the Bussalp restaurant are excellent, with lovely views of the Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau and Silberhorn. There is a small path behind the restaurant that leads to a viewing point where there are benches. As there isn’t a gondola to Bussalp, it is a lot quieter that other scenic places in the area.

4  Thank Silberhorn
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We hiked from First --> Bachalpsee --> Faulhorn --> Bussalp and unfortunatley due to weather saw little to nothing. Good excercise though! Be warned if you plan to bus back to Grindelwald its 22CHF per person if you don't have a discount card (50% off, available at trainstation). Otherwise its a 2 hr walk down.

1  Thank lisakav