“A very nice hike from First”
Review of Grosse Scheidegg

Grosse Scheidegg
Ranked #5 of 32 things to do in Grindelwald
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our original plans were stymied by closed trails, so we first hiked over to Bachalpsee, and then back across over to Grosse Scheidegg. It was not strenuous hiking, though we were very surprised to find the trails covered in gravel, which was not enjoyable to hike on. It was wonderful to watch the Wetterhorn change in size and perspective as we hiked closer and closer to it. We arrived at Grosse Scheidegg in time for the 12:23 bus - which never showed up, and the next was not scheduled until 2 hours later! The hotel kindly called for us and found out that the next bus was at 1:23 - except other hikers waiting for the bus also called and were told that the next bus was not until 2:23. So that was all a bit confusing and everyone decided to hike down to town. I have to say, I underestimated how hard down could be - it was VERY steep - I was VERY glad for our trekking poles, but even still, my toes were jammed into the front of my boots. I should have clipped my toenails - my toes were quite bloody at the end of the day. Mid-way one group without trekking poles opted to hike the road instead of the trail - longer but less steep. Part of this downward hike involved hiking with cows.

3  Thank Rooindie
There are newer reviews for Grosse Scheidegg

Reviewed 10 June 2014

There is a pleasant hotel/restaurant, but nothing much else. There are, howver, walking trails to different areas so this might be best suited to hikers rather than those taking a special trip up there, as we discovered.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I am a Rick Steves' groupie. I have been using his guidebooks on my European travels for a total, so far, of 170 days. But Rick has a few prejudices that in my opinion, are unfair. One of them is his preference for Gimmelwald, and his disdain for Grindelwald.

About Grindelwald, the entirety of his thoughts are: "Expensive resort town, not to be confused with Gimmelwald." I am not sure what that description conjures up for you, but I pictured Aspen. And how on earth can anything in Switzerland be considered expensive, when a McDonald's single, small fries and a coke is $20 US.

Enough with the rant, tell the people about Grindelwald. I was there the nights or April 29 and 30. Grindelwald was all but shut down. Most of the hotels and restaurants were closed until sometime in May. I suppose ski season is over and the summer hiking season has not yet started. But nonetheless, I can assure you at the height of any season, Gimmelwald is no Aspen. I don't mean that as a criticism, just a fact. It is tiny--tinsy tiny.

Back to Rick for a moment, Rick recommends Gimmelwald as a home base. I can't agree. Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald would either make far better home bases. I stayed in Lauterbrunnen last year and Grindelwald this year. My nod goes to Lauterbrunnen.

By the way, I have many days of European train travel under my seat (I am burning through my fourth 30-day Eurail Pass as I write). Still, I found the Berner Oberland confusing. After two visits, one to Lauterbrunnen and one to Grindelwald, and side trips to both Gimmelwald and Jungfrau, I only just now feel Ike I am getting it figured out.

5  Thank Kerwin G
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Different good restaurants. Good place to start a ski ride towards Wengen or Grindelwald. Great view to Eiger Mönch and Jungrau. In good wether it is worthwile to take the train up to Jungfraujoch.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This whole place is absolutely amazing. It just feels fresh. I was here in summer in July and It was bustling with wildflowers and waterfalls. The hike from jungfrau to this city is absolutely outstanding. Its an easy hike with amazing views.

I highly recommend this place.