“Great View of the Eiger”

Grand Hotel Regina Grindelwald
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Singapore
“Great View of the Eiger”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

In Aug 2011, I took a 3 week holiday to Runnymede, London, Paris, Grindelwald and Dubai. When my fren first suggested going to Switzerland and Grindelwald, I had no idea where and what is Grindelwald.
And when he said that we will be staying at Grand Regina Hotel, I had to turn to TripAdvisor to find out what kind of hotel was Grand Regina.
To my dismay, Grand Regina was ranked very lowly. I was definitely apprehensive about going to stay at Grand Regina. However, I am posting this review first instead of the other establishments I have stayed in the other cities because I think Grand Regina deserves a good review.
Firstly, it is located very near to the train station. It is just a 1 minute walk away. This is very important because I had much luggage after all the shopping in London and Paris. I was able to manage to bring all the luggage without assistance. And it was a long day from Charles De Gaulle to Grindelwald. One important thing, despite its proximity, I did not hear the noise of the trains. Maybe Swiss trains are quiet!
Compared to Belvedere, Grand Regina is much closer to the train station. And Hotel Gletschergarten is totally out of the way. BUT it is very next to the gorge. One of the attractions in Grindelwald. The bus stop is also very nearby. Just a 2 minute walk away. So you can take a bus and go for a bus tour kinda thing. Which we did on the last day. Took the bus and went to Grosse Scheidegg (Sorry, spell wrongly!?) and back. Had a beautiful view of the mountain (Wetterhorn if I am not wrong!).
The view from Grand Regina is fantastic. I have a absolutely stunning view of the snow capped peaks of the mountains. It is unblocked. And I see the green valleys dotted with Swiss chalets. And I see the trains going up to Jungfraujoch (they become really small) and at night, I see the a light up in the mountains where the lookout gallery is at.
Of course the room with the view cost more. But I think it is worth every penny. From where I come from, we don't get such views. EVER! It was breathtaking. Maybe because the hotel was established way back like in 1890s (If I am not wrong! But I am very sure the hotel is many many time older than me!), it managed to find the best plot of land to build this hotel and secure the view.
The restaurant was service was impeccable. Very European. Very posh. The food presentation was very good. Even at breakfast when I order an omelette, it comes garnished with baby tomatoes and cucumbers. I did not get this at Hyatt Regency London or Intercontinental Le Grand Paris. I had dinner there thrice and the food did not disappoint. From where I come from, food from restaurants seem very "manufactured" as most food are cooked at central kitchens and restaurants just heat up the food and serve to customers. At Grand Regina, the food is prepared after order has been taken and I really appreciate the effort they made to prepare the dinner. I truly do.
In any case, I have to wait for my food but I get to enjoy the view from the restaurant and simply soak in the old world charm of the restaurant. They actually lay out all the silverware and light candles. Yes, I don't get that much back home. Even when I pay as much for dinner at home.
Dinner is definitely not cheap. But I think it is a decent price to pay for a formal dinner. Good food, good service, good atmosphere and good effort. I din dress formal though! Haha.
We stayed for 5 nights and by the 2nd day, the staff at reception knows us by our name. The waiters and waitresses recognize us well. So it was very personalised kind of service I felt.
The rooms were clean. The bathrooms were clean. The room was of a decent size (the room came with a study room, sofa and small TV).
I guess the things I din like was the outdoor pool. Not the cleanest! But the indoor pool was ok (from the looks of it and other guests were having a good time!).
And maybe some cobwebs here and there. But nothing major for a person who is terrified of insects and creepy crawlies.
And the room was locked by a key. Not a card key. But a real key. How retro is that! Haha, but I guess it adds to the quaint charm.
So all in all, it's a good hotel to stay. I think it costs a pretty penny but everything costs a pretty penny for me in Switzerland! Haha. I had CHF 8 cup noodles and I just bought 2 cup noodles for CHF 1(after conversion) from a supermarket at home! The exact same brand! Ok, I had a craving for noodles on top of Jungfraujoch.
Yup, so keep up the good work Grand Regina! I am sure we will stay with you guys again! (When my currency becomes stronger against your Swiss Franc! Haha. Just kidding!)
Anyway, apologies for any wrong spelling mistake. I try my best! I don't speak German or French!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mulder-Sing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We were put into the annex, which was a tiresome 5 minute journey via various aging lifts from the lobby. The decor in the room had not been updated since the 70s and there was no aircon. We spent some time in the spa. It wasn't bad but again rather faded and in need of refurbishment. The pool outside contained a week's worth of dead leaves and was unusable. At breakfast the next day the hot food had gone cold, and the decent bread had gone. It is apparently a family owned hotel; I assume the current generation have lost interest in running the place and are content with banking the dwindling profits and leaving management to subordinates. Great location though.

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Harvey505
Frankfurt
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Regina and though there was a certain reluctance after reading the other reviews on tripadvisor the price offered was just "too good to resist"
When arriving there it is evident that the new management (very pleasant young General Manager) is doing a lot to bring the Grand Hotel Regina back to the "ivy league".
The rooms provide a stunning view to the famous Mount Eiger and though not really "new" I found them convenient and appropriate. I had an "Eiger View" room and it was absolutely ok.
The restaurant offers nice dining (new carte as I heard) for fair prices. Food quality is really nice though some members are struggling a little bit with the german language.
The BEST PLACE to have lunch is the sunny panorama terrace which offers a breathtaking view! Also I found it pleasant that it is not an overcrowded place like many others in Grindelwald, but also a nice location to read a book or the newspapaper in peace.
Also very charming is the Spa area which i frequented every day to relax from my mountain tours. The "alpine sauna village" is really fun and the indoor pool big enough to practice real swimming! Also the hotel park outside the Spa is a phantastic place to spend an afternoon in peaceful appreciation of the mountain landscape around. The outdoor pool however had no water yet, but I got informed that it is still to cold and it will be filled in July.
All in all - a place to re-visit soon!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Sailor1977
Zurich
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I read some of the reviews here, and to be honest, I can't understand what people are complaining about. The hotel is very good, has a perfect location, offers a wonderful Spa and the personnel is very attentive. Some complained about the elevator going to the Spa - true, it's small, but I don't think the size of an elevator puts in question the whole hotel. The only little detail I dind't like was that in the wardrobe of the Spa you have to leave a deposit of 2 francs if you want to put your clothes in the closet - I didn't have any coins with me, so I would have appreciated if they had told me in advance that I should bring a coin with me. The rest was fantastic. By the way, all the personnel that I met spoke German - not Swiss German, though, but they understood my Swiss German pretty well, so I don't understand the complaint about the supposedly lacking language skills, either. If you want to have a good time, stay at this hotel. And if you want to enjoy a spectacular view, stay at this hotel and make sure you have a room heading south.

Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike_Suiza
Winchester
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights with hubby and friends for ski break in February and have to agree with everything said by kathyandmartin in the previous review - absolutely fabulous hotel - felt I had to add a review to counteract the previous bad one, which I cannot understand or relate to in any way & should not influence anyone thinking of staying in this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
cambridge england
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Quite simply this is the best hotel experience we have ever had in 95 weeks of skiing in europe and north america. Perfect location for lifts.
All the staff in reception, the bar, the restaurant were exceptionally courteous, helpful, polite, friendly and anxious to please. Nothing was too much trouble, and always service with a smile. We really feel after three visits to this perfect hotel that the staff are part of our extended family
The room upgrade to south facing Eiger view was excellent, roomy (approx 25 foot long) with large balcony offering breathtaking views of the best mountain scenery in the Alps (if not the world).
Six course dinner has a choice of two main courses for half board, with an a la carte option (extra payable) if required. There is a choice of two restaurants, with the Pendule d'Or our favourite with nightly piano music to accompany our meal.
The large bar area has a large dance floor for those guests wishing to Waltz , Rumba or Cha Cha Cha etc with their partner before and after dinner. Very romantic.
The wellness centre is far and away the best in Grindelwald, with six unique and individual saunas and steam rooms, a misting 'walk' and salt bath. The relaxation area has stunning views of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger. Half an hour spent relaxing with iced lemon tea and this view is almost a mystic experience.
There is also a well staffed spa, an excellent swimming pool (again surrounded by excellent mountain views), and a useful gym with aerobic running & cycling machines etc
As an example of the outstanding service, I suffered a minor injuryto my knee skiing, and without prompting, the Reception staff reserved me a seat with extra leg room on the plane home!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathyandmartin
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at the grand Regina for our Christmas break looking forward to 5star luxury to say we were disappointed is an under statement. Food was deplorable less than cafeteria standard the hotel is drab. The service is very poor lack of communication between staff get asked the same question by two or three of them whilst trying to eat the distasteful food put in front of us.
Hotel owners strut around using the hotel as their own personal hotel and the staff are running around trying to please them ignoring paying guests. Complaints unanswered and the manager fails to avail himself when requested for a meeting regarding genuine complaints
I would advise you avoid this hotel at all costs we were not alone in our thoughts there were many other guests complaining one even faxing a 7 page complaint which I dare say will not be answered or dealt with

Casson family