“Great service slightly tired grand hotel”

Grand Hotel Regina Grindelwald
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
London, United Kingdom
“Great service slightly tired grand hotel”
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

I loved this place. I stayed here attending a conference. It is a little tired, but still clearly the best hotel in Grindelwald. This is underlined by its location near the main railway station that takes you to the main ski area (and everywhere else), just 10m (metres) away. It really is that convenient. The views are lovely. To cap it all the skiclub of Great Britain rep stays here and does drinks in the bar most evenings.

The snow by the way was amazing and the skiing fantastic.

I did not use the spa which is extensive, and smart. The gym is small but functional.

The food was lovely - I ate in every night, and it was beautiful cooking. Decent wine and great but expensive cocktails in the bar. Breakfasts were an extensive buffet and a la carte which was excessively pricey - why punish those who want "eggs Benedict" rather than bacon scrambled egg -irritating. The hotel has new owners, and I understand they have big plans to refurbish the hotel, so don't expect prices (which are not out of sight of other hotels) to hold. This will be a shame - if the place simply becomes full of overpaid pseuds it will not be improved - but for now it is nice and not snooty. The real stars of the place were the staff who were fantastic - the maitre'd in particular made you feel welcome - she was brilliant. The little touches were well executed. I was sad to go.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank SimonBlahBlah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fribourg
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Regina is a great hotel for people looking for some type of '"old style" luxury, with very British decoration. Large room but space not really well used, nice view into the mountains. My preference goes for the spa which is really really a very good place to go after a ski day. Very nicely made of wood and remembering the mountains around. Also, the bar has a great atmosphere during the apero hour.
Wonderful breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ddr25
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here half board for a long weekend in March 2013. The Grand Regina hotel is ideally located opposite Grindelwald mountain train station. It is a lot easier to get a seat at this station rather than join the hoards boarding 3 minutes later at the main car park area station (can't recall that station's name). Fresh snow had fallen the night before so the village and the mountains looked very picturesque although the North Face of the Eiger always looks ominous! The staff were lovely, couldn't do enough for you and were really helpful. Our room was well appointed and spacious, the bathroom large with a separate shower and bath, a delight after a days skiing! The pool is a good size but in a different building (with internal access) and I had one of best massages, bliss! The only disappointment was the standard of food. Breakfast was good but halfboard dinner was not what I would expect from a hotel with a 5star rating.The food was not bad but not gourmet. The wine list was ridiculously expensive in comparison - anyone happy to pay CHF 3000 on wine would not be impressed with the food! Don't be put off, overall we enjoyed our stay and will return next winter.

Room Tip: We opted for the mountain view balcony and the perfect weather and visibility made this a good choic...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kwosimodo9
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I spent a weekend at the Regina Grindelwald in January 2012. At the first glimpse, I was amazed because I've never stayed in a five-star accomodation. Dimmed lights, professional receptionists, even a pianist - everything looked perfect.

The room we had was located on the 2nd floor and the balcony gave us the view of the ice sculptures competition right in front of the house and of the famous Eiger mountain. I'm Swiss, but I've never had such a view of a mountain - really. Our big bed was comfortable and there were housemade cookies welcoming us. I knew by now this hotel was a little 'old-school', as I dare to say. It needs some modernising. But the amenities worked. The bathroom was prevalently held in green colour, which was a bit weird for me but okay - it was big and the floor was warm; walking barefoot in a hotel room became nice now.

Breakfast was great and the breakfast/dining room was royal...

Being a frequent visitor of a ski resort where you have the possibility to hit the slopes from the very beginnings of the mountain, I was a bit disappointed having to take the skilift for such a long time to finally put my feet into my snowboard bindings.
I did not like having a connecting door between my room and the room of my parents because we didn't wish for that. We told the management and they immediately offered us an upgrade for the following year, which I rated as a great reaction :)

The wellness area was a bit difficult to find at first, but the different amenities compensated the 'long' walk. I may affirm I've spent more time in the wellness area than on the slopes!

All in all, I highly recommend staying at the Grand Hotel Regina.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fl0wzah
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 20 years and have witnessed its steady but inexorable decline. Last year the hotel ownership changed hands and our experiences during our stay were not at all satisfactory but we were assured that the hotel was in a state of transition and all aspects would improve. On the basis of this we returned this year but sadly the promises made did not materialise - both my wife and I considered it to be worse and frankly could not understand the direction in which the hotel was proceeding or what was trying to be achieved.
Travel brochures in the UK will inform you that this hotel is 5 star and it provides a 4 course evening meal, these statements are both factually incorrect. There is no salad bar and a tiny amuse bouche cannot be included as a course. We were informed that a new chef had been employed but we found the food dull, unimaginative and poorly presented. The chef had a liking for rock salt which he liberally spread over everything.
The only hot food provided at breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon to be served on extremely large cold plates (warm plates requested last year). The scrambled eggs were clearly bulked out with powdered egg and were inedible. All other hot food was available at an extra cost ( £6 for 2 fried eggs) this in a 5 Star hotel where even a boiled egg is extra.
The rooms are extremely tired and clearly have received no attention since the 80's - our bathroom although large was matt pink.
The hotel bar is dark, dreary and unwelcoming and its worth checking the charges as these vary from day to day depending on who is serving.
Complimentary afternoon tea and cake is served at around 15.30 but the staff cannot decide if the customer should receive a cup of tea, a pot or indeed a piece of cake. This experience is also spoilt by a member of staff who insists on wearing steel heeled shoes and clomps up and down the wooden floor with a total disregard to the customers for the entire duration.
The final piece of customer service was enacted when at 06.00 I needed to check our luggage in at the station and I requested the assistance of the night porter. This portly 'gentleman' found it impossible to remove his backside from his chair even to hold open the door and he was perfectly content to watch me struggled with 4 pieces of luggage. However, when he thought we were leaving retaining our hotel key he was up like a shot, pacing up and down outside the station building and demanding the return of the key ( we were not leaving until the 09.19 train).
If this is progress at the Regina......
There is one plus the reception and restaurant staff are most considerate and efficient. We did not use any of the 'wellness' facilities.
Please do not read this review and conclude that the author is just an old moaner. The week prior to our stay we spent a week at the Hotel Steffani in St Moritz and it was quite superb. Infinitely better than the Regina and 'only 4 star'.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank EDRICE
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at that hotel for a weekend during the famous Lauberhorn ski races. The location of the hotel is perfect when you arrive by train which is what we've done. Right across the street from the station. The room we had was big and quiet. But although it was a renovated room, it looked old and out of fashion. The sofas were torn and the rest of the furniture looks like a 3* Swiss hotel of the 80'. The flowered curtains couldn't close completely, there was a gap on each window. The carpets are threadbare and stained. The bathroom was nice and clean. The pool and SPA area is quite old as well. And the people at the reception or at breakfast are not very warm and welcoming. And all this for more than CHF 700.– per night!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SM_Lsne
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

The Grand Regina is a nice hotel overall, but it has some weak links as well. The lobby is nice and there is afternoon tea, which is very pleasant. The rooms are okay, but dated looking. They are clean though. The pool area is very nice. It is a great pool. We did have some issues with the service, but nothing major. Overall, the wonderful town of Grindelwald makes up for the hotel's disappointments.

• Stayed December 2012