We stayed at the Sunstar for a week (the penultimate week of the ski season) and booked through UK tour operator Inghams. On arrival at the station the hotel’s mini bus was waiting and it took only a couple of minutes to get to the hotel which is at the opposite end of the town to the train station opposite the First gondola.
We were warmly welcomed and was given a short tour of the hotel prior to being shown to our room which was on the fourth floor overlooking the First gondola. The room was a nice size with plenty of cupboard/hanging space. The mini bar was filled and replenished daily with 2 x beers, still and sparling water, orange and apple juice, coca-cola and sprite. There was still room in the fridge for our own soft drinks and milk as we had brought along our travel kettle as we do love a cup of tea! The only downside for us is that the TV only had one English channel – CNN (no world service) - but after chatting with friends in the resort, it seems that this was the case in their hotel as well.
All the staff in the hotel were always very friendly and helpful and Jasper the golden retriever dog is very cute! There is a lovely large lounge area which has a view overlooking the mountains, which is nice for reading and relaxing. The hotel has a well-equipped gym (although no treadmill) and a swimming pool, towels are available and there is a bathrobe and slippers in your room. There are also small lockers outside the gym area where you can store your wallet, ipod etc.
The restaurant is nice and spacious, again overlooking the mountains – you could never tire of the view. Breakfast was buffet style and you could choose where to sit. There was a small selection of hot food (egg (scrambled and hard boiled) bacon and sausages) along with a wide selection of cereal, breads, croissants, pastries, fruit, cheese etc. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate were available.
For dinner, we were assigned a table which we kept for the week and it was a 5 course meal. The first couple of nights there was a salad bar which you could help yourself to but the remainder of the week a “set” salad was on the menu. As it was almost at the end of the season there was very few people in for dinner each night – approx. 12 people! The staff were happy to supply tap water free of charge and there was a wide range of drinks and wines available for purchase. The meals were a bit rich for our tastes but we did love the Swiss special which was pasta, potato, bacon and cheese that they offered several nights.
I think the only negative point regarding the hotel is the ski/boot room which I think was very poor for a hotel of this size and rating. It was a very small room with one plastic poolside chair. When we first arrived the room was packed and I struggled to find space for my skis/boots. However, within a couple of days the room was pretty much empty so that was fine but I would imagine that during peak season it would be quite challenging to store and retrieve your equipment each day, unless there was an alternative room that we were not made aware of.
As mentioned the hotel is opposite the First gondola so if you are skiing that area it is ideally located. For the other ski areas, you need to get to the train station which is either a 10 minute walk (downhill) or use the free ski bus (the bus stop is outside the hotel). Unfortunately there are no ski lockers available for rent at the train station.
When we arrived it was raining hard, the hotel receptionist offered an additional umbrella (there was one in the room) to borrow. Fortunately the rain turned to snow overnight and it continued to snow throughout the next day. This gave us perfect skiing conditions for the week (after the previous weeks’ extremely mild temperatures). I would not hesitate to return to Grindelwald for skiing and would certainly look at staying at the Sunstar again. I would recommend to friends (it was recommended to me by a friend).
I would also recommend the Swiss rail baggage transfer – we hadn’t used it on our outward journey and it was a bit of a challenge getting our cases on/off all the trains. On the morning of our return journey the Sunstar took us to the station and waited for us. The staff at the train station checked us in for our flight (Swiss Air), issued boarding passes and took our cases – the next time we saw them was at London Heathrow – well worth the 22 Swiss Francs. We then had the rest of the day free before our flight to enjoy Grindelwald and a stress free train journey back to Zurich.
Apologies that this review is so long, but hopefully it will help.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This holiday and spa hotel is in an outstandingly panoramic location, quiet and central but with uninterrupted views of the famous North Face of the Eiger, Wetterhorn and First. Inside, the hotel is decorated with lots of warm wood, and the spacious lobby has an open fire, creating a cosy atmosphere. The large, comfortable bedrooms with their light wooden furniture are perfect places to relax in. Those in certain categories have a balcony. The half-board "Ambiance" restaurant has picture-perfect views of the mountains, tempting you to linger and eat to your heart's content. Gourmet diners are also superbly catered for in the à-la-carte "Adlerstube" restaurant. In the spa centre, you'll find all kinds of ways to unwind: try the large swimming pool, the Finnish sauna, the Roman baths with four climate zones, the hydro-massage showers, the solarium or the rest room. The hotel also offers an attractive range of sports, from a fitness centre to aquagymnastics and aerobics. If you take your holidays in the glacier village of Grindelwald, you'll have the opportunity to enjoy all the many and varied activities that are available in the Jungfrau region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotel.de and Hotels.com so you can book your Sunstar Hotel Grindelwald reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grindelwald Sunstar Hotel
- Sunstar Grindelwald
- Grindelwald Hotel Sunstar