“As good as previous reviews had suggested” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Gletschergarten

Hotel Gletschergarten
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
London, United Kingdom
“As good as previous reviews had suggested”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

The friendly efficient management, combined with good food, comfort, space and very reasonable price make this hotel most appealing.
Furthermore its location right next to the bus stop, plus room for car-parking and a convenient ski-room make for a great base for skiing.
Food quantities for dinner are just right and breakfast is great.
We shall re-visit in summer to see the wonderful view in a different season.

Room Tip: Fuchs (the Fox) second floor with a good view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CHARLES G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Gabriela and Gerhard were both charming, very welcoming, and could not have been more helpful throughout our stay. We found the hotel very comfortable, the food excellent, and access to all the ski lifts straightforward. it was exactly what we were looking for and met all our expectations. We had a great holiday and would not hesitate to recommend hotel Gletschergarten

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Eiger!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DebMart2014
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had the absolute pleasure of spending our first White Xmas in the magnificent Hotel Gletschergarten at Grindelwald. Our expectations were high and pleasingly we were not let down.
It was like living the week in a fairytale - a beautiful town and a beautiful hotel.
Awesome views, convenient location, great meals and the staff were fantastic (they even arranged snow fall for us on Boxing Day!) Gabriella, Gerhard and Lars were extremely welcoming and the friendliest hosts we had on our 4 week European trip. I would highly recommend a visit to Hotel Gletschergarten if you are looking to spend some time in Grindelwald - we are definitely going back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zobes
Keswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I had stayed before in one of their apartments and enjoyed it so much that I happily returned. This time I stayed in the hotel in half-board for a week. Gabriella and Gerhard immediately made me feel welcome from the moment I arrived with my car in front of the hotel, by pointing me to a parking spot right outside my room. Now, the essence of an excellent room is cleanliness, a very comfortable bed and a shower with good pressure and really hot water. And my room had it all. In addition, the breakfast and dinner were absolutely fantastic. I have to congratulate the chef for cooking meats to perfection. But above all, the service provided by Gabriella, Gerhard, Lars and the waiting staff was second to none. Thank you so much for giving me a home from home and may the family (now in its 4th generation) continue to run this brilliant hotel for years to come. And as for me, of course I will go back again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have stayed at Hotel Gletschergarten twice now during the summer, and my extended family has stayed there many times over the last 10 years. Grindelwald is a hiker's paradise and Hotel Gletschergarten is the perfect place to stay. The views of the Eiger from the guest room balconies are breathtaking. Located just through town, they pick you up from the train station and take you right to the perfectly clean and beautifully appointed hotel. The food they serve is traditional and of excellent quality. From the hotel, there is easy access to countless amazing hikes. Gerhard knows each trail and can inform you as to the best route for what you are looking for. Gabriela helped us secure train tickets and answered any question we had. They are so friendly, hard working and go out of their way to make your stay memorable. We can't wait to go back. Grindelwald truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth and Hotel Gletschergarten makes it that much more special. Thank you for the hospitality!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the mountains!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Melissa G
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Several years ago my husband and I stayed here during the summer. We drove and the Gletschergarten had ample free parking, great advice on summer hikes, and we had a wonderful stay. This time, I was by myself for a long weekend in the winter and took the train to Grindelwald. Starting with my welcoming, efficient pick up at the station, I was so happy to have come back. Cozy room, free and reliable WiFi, and amazing views of the Eiger face off my balcony. The hosts helped me with bus and train information for winter hiking and cross-country skiing, and I enjoyed special and delicious dinners there each night. (Next time I'll bring my husband back, stay longer, and bring my downhill equipment as well).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed in this Swiss Chalet style hotel for Christmas as a family of five. Up the hill from the train station we we were picked up from the station and settled into our rooms. Wonderful food, warm cosy lounges with open fires and delightful hosts made this a Christmas to remember. Easy access to ski grounds, good ski storage areas in the hotel, free wifi, house discounts for ski rentals at local ski shops etc all added to the experience. If you want to stay in a traditional lodge with wonderful Swiss hospitality this is the one for you.
Wal G