There's nothing wrong with Hotel Belvedere as such, it just didn't quite live up to the price tag. At around CHF 520 per night with half-board, my wife and I were expecting something special. While the food and service were spectacular (I definitely recommend the half-board if you plan to stay here), the facilities were so-so. Our room was somewhat drab, the shower was cramped and uncomfortable even by European standards, and the hallways, which were small, dark, and mostly undecorated, felt more like a Motel 6 than a four star hotel. The building itself is a hideous concrete slab with a modernist swoosh on the top that would fit better in a Soviet-era Balkan city than a Swiss mountain town.
One of the reasons we chose the Hotel Belvedere was for the spa facilities, but they were also a bit of a disappointment. The "bio sauna" was really just a regular sauna set on low heat with some funny colored light bulbs. The outdoor saltwater hot tub was pretty nice, although the water was a bit too cold to really relax the muscles after a long day of skiing. Everything else in the spa area had a worn-around-the-edges feel to it. The hotel seemed very kid friendly, which I guess is a good thing for people with kids, but having a bunch of ten year-olds bouncing around the hot tub with you is not what I would call relaxing.
The internet situation was confusing and unacceptable. In this day and age, there is no reason for any hotel not to have free wifi available to all its guests. However, I don't even know whether Hotel Belvedere charged for wifi because all of their "keycards," which one needs to connect one's own laptop to the wifi network, were always in use by other guests, despite the fact that the hotel was far from full capacity. The only alternatives were a desktop in the smoking lounge -- unpleasant if you don't smoke, and the computer could not connect to the internet when I tried to use it anyway -- and a hotel laptop that the receptionist will set up for you in the main lounge.
So, to sum up, Hotel Belvedere is not a bad place, but ultimately not worth the price.
Pros: Food, service, amazing views
Cons: Generally feels a bit shabby, difficult to use the internet, rather pricey
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Belvedere Grindelwald: Your holiday hotel in Grindelwald! Enjoy your holiday in Switzerland, in the Jungfrau region at the foot of the world-famous Eiger. Relax in the Spa with indoor pool and salt-water Jacuzzi in the garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Belvedere Swiss Quality Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belvedere Swiss Quality Grindelwald
- Hotel Belvedere Swiss Quality