“Very Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Norfolk Nebraska
“Very Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 10 October 2007

After reading prior reviews I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice hotel. The location is close to a train station, situated at the base of Mount Eiger with perfect views. The room was spacious and clean, hotel staff were friendly, and the breakfast served was very good. I would highly recommend this hotel as well as the lovely town of Grindelwald.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank CattleBaroness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed 9 October 2007

This hotel was booked for me by a company called Pure Adventures. It was a "self directed" tour. I checked out the hotel on the Trip Advisor website before I left. From the reviews I didn't expect this hotel to be very good. What a pleasant surprise when I arrived. It is a lovey small hotel. My room was adorable and I had a small balcony that looked out on the Eiger mountain. It was clean and I had a huge bathtub. The breakfast was great. The location couldn't be better. It is only a block from the train station. My room was on the main street through town. Grindelwald is a very small town so there was really not much traffic noise even with my window open all night. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative was that they had a large event room down the hall from my room and I could smell the fried potatoes they served at 10:00pm.

• Liked — The balcony and the bed
  • Disliked — I didn't get to stay longer
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank FrenchNP
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I spent 3D2N in Grindelwald. It was my second visit to Switzerland and first to Grindelwald. It was indeed a marvellous place, despite the absence of most touted activities as the facilities were preparing for the summer visitors.

I had great expectations of this hotel prior to my visit based on the high ratings and reviews on Tripadvisors as well as the impressive website. We arrived late at night after a long trip from Lugano. The hotel was very easy to find, about 50m from the train station on on a gentle slope. The hotel reception is located above a pub and we had to drag our heavy luggages up.

We were given two rooms with a inter-connecting bath/toilet. However, the lights were not working for one which left me wondering if the staff were prepared for our arrival and the room situation. After a while, we were relocated to a higher floor. However, one room was lacking a remote control and a safe while the other room's safe was not working. We reflected this to the staff on numerous occasions but it was not rectified up till our departure.

The hotel, overall, looked quite shoddy and our rooms were very small, different from what I see on their website. While the booking came with free entrance to the sport-centre (swimming and skating), we only realised on our arrival that the centre has been closed for some time due to renovation, which had me felt cheated as the staff was fully aware of this. The matter was made worse as my fellow travellers were enticed by this offer, hence the booking.

We would suggest other hotels in the area as proximity is not an issue. The website looks deceiving (especially the rooms). I will visit Grindelwald again but definitely keep away from this hotel.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank epong
London
Reviewed 29 October 2006

I have just returned from a fantastic week-long holiday in Grindelwald staying at the Wolter (half board). I was with my partner and 2 kids aged 11yrs & 14yrs - the kids had their own room adjacent to ours.

Firstly, the location is excellent - very close to the train station with great views of the Eiger and beautiful surrounding mountains.

We enjoyed a typical continental breakfast every morning and incredibly good, 4 course a la carte meals every night. An alternative was provided if anyone didn't like something on the menu. Staff service was excellent at all times and we felt very welcome.

The rooms were clean & bright and both bedrooms & bathrooms were of an adequate size. Both our rooms had balconies overlooking the mountains and fields at the side and back of the hotel - which were lovely especially with the cow bells ringing through the day. The front bedrooms are larger and overlook the Eiger.

The last week of October is the last week of the summer season and many attractions were closing especially on the last Sunday in October, however I knew about this after researching the area on the internet (thanks to this website). The advantage to this was that Grindelwald was relatively quiet with few visitors although the hotel did not reduce it's level of service, which I have seen in some other resorts.

We were given a visitors card which allowed us free access to the sports centre which was just across the road so we could go swimming & ice skating (price of skate hire = 6sfr). We were allowed to play with the ice hockey sticks, pucks & nets which was a good laugh.

Another brilliant idea is the Swiss luggage transport system and I recommend paying the small charge for the luggage free transfers if you are travelling by train. We registered our cases on the morning of departure and were given our boarding cards by the Wolter receptionist! We didn't even have to check in at Zurich airport - so easy.

I would certainly stay at the Wolter again and am surprised that there aren't more reviews - we met one repeat guest during our week.

• Liked — Great Food
  • Disliked — No tea/coffee making facilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the season dates for buses, cable cars & trains
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank spegru
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2005

From the website, I thought the rooms look weird with the animal heads and all that but surprisingly, it was actually a nice hotel. It's just a stonethrow away from the train station. Clean and comfy bed. Clean bathroom. Breakfast is good. Helpful staff. There is a computer for Internet in the dining room at the back.

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank Wildlilac
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 November 2002

I stayed in this hotel about five years ago. The location is excellent. It is very close to rail station, the sports center and central to the village. It is very easy to walk everywhere. The hotel is modest but very comfortable. The staff was friendly, and eager to please. The highlight was our room. It was on the side of the building and had large Euopean style French doors opening to a small balcony. The view was very pretty and included a Swiss family's home about 100 feet away. Each morning and evenng, we could hear the tinkling of the bells and watch as they took the cows to and from the pasture!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member