“Very nice room, but small; great restaurant”

Central Hotel Wolter
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Cadillac, Michigan
“Very nice room, but small; great restaurant”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Our room was small, but bright and cheery. The bathroom was large and had a heated towel rack that we really enjoyed. There was a small table in the room, which served as a dinner table (if you bought food from the grocery store) or desk. The associated restaurant was great -- we ate there 3 of our 5 nights, and we ate at an affiliated hotel/restaurant on another night. Kangaroo was even on the menu (because the chef came from Australia). The ice cream desserts were beautiful and tasted great. Breakfast was good, but as other reviewers have commented, you need to get there early in order to get any of the fresh fruit. There were always Japanese tour groups at the hotel, but they were well mannered. They did, however, tend to eat breakfast before we did, and the would overwhelm the breakfast room and eat the fresh fruit before we got there.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 October 2008

The Central Hotel Wolter was recommended by the Grindelwald Tourest Bureau: they were very helpful in suggesting alternatives that meet needs and budgets over the phone. The Hotel is located at the center of town, very convenient to the central bus parking and the train station (These are very clean, quiet, and tasteful facilities: there are no worries about noise or safety and it's a net plus for convenience). Covered parking is located behind the hotel (get directions at the desk).

Reception is located up one floor from the street level, where there is a restaurant: for disabled people, there is elevator service to Reception at the back of the restaurant. The desk gave a discount for a two night stay, and provided maps and directions for local trail, lifts, and restaurants. There is an elevator up to the rooms, and the hotel is quiet and clean. Rooms are traditional, lots of exposed wood and beams with a very nice balcony. Street noise was moderate and continuous through the night. There are no 'large' beds, only single beds pushed together. Wireless internet access is free (coupon at the desk), and there was minibar, cable television., and safe in the room. The bathroom had a tub and shower, good hot water and pressure.

Breakfast is served in the lounge adjacent to reception: the buffet has meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, and fruit: coffee pots are left for you at your table. It's good to get there early: as items were depleted, they were not replaced, and fruits and meats were in short supply. There are a number of good lunch and dinner spots within walking distance if you go up the road away from the train station towards the First chair lift.

The views of the mountains are magnificent from the hotel: when the clouds part, the full face of the Eiger looms overhead. There are wonderful trailheads a short bus or train ride away, or take a lift to the upper meadows and walk down.

The Hotel Wolter is a comfortable and traditional property located in the center of the city. It is a good choice for travelers wanting to relax in a place with easy access to all of the activities and sights of the area.

• Liked — Location; desk staff; free parking and internet
  • Disliked — Need to get to breakfast early
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Essex
Reviewed 28 October 2007

We originally booked this hotel as it was the only one in Grindelwald that had free child places at the the time we wanted to travel. I was expecting a rather shoddy little hotel judging from some of the other reviews and was totally prepared not to expect anything great. Well, we had a very pleasant surprise.
After a 2 and a half hour train journey from Zurich airport (all of which was beautiful scenery) we were thrilled to see the hotel was literally across the road from the train station. No taxi needed or long walk with two children in a pram and suitcases. The hotel reception is above the hotels restaurant (not a pub as earlier described). You do have to climb some stairs but unless you are disabled or otherwise infirm it really is not a problem. The staff were really friendly and were expecting our arrival. The breakfast room leads off of the reception and is a bright and airy room with views of the Eiger Mountain. We were staying on the 4th floor and had interconnecting rooms with balconies with tables to sit and view the mountains (if you wished...not suitable for us because of the kids kept trying to climb over the balcony!) Bathroom was a good size, beds a little hard but not a prob, mini bar in each room and two tv.s, safe in one bedroom. We were staying on a half board basis and again I was not prepared for anything special. But the food was great! Four courses, all lovely fresh ingredients and really filling. They gave us a childs menu for the kids and they had extra icecreams every night. The restaurant has a really warm, homely feel. We were very comfortable. There is no swimming pool or other luxury touches but for the money you wouldn't expect there to be. There is so much to do here that you really dont miss these facilities. And if you really want to go swimming - or ice skating - , they give you a free pass to the sports centre just up the road. This looked really nice and is worth a visit with the kids - we however didn't go as we really didn't have time. The tourist info office is next door.
The train rides in the mountain are excellent - but very, very expensive - be prepared. Still worth the money. The trip to the top of the Jungfrau is amazing. The scenery is jaw dropping. Our boys are 3 and 5 and even they enjoyed it. They loved the fact that they could play in the snow at the top. They also loved the cable car rides and the horse and carriage ride.
October is the end of the season for Grindelwald and some cable rides are closed. There was hardly anyone in the village at times! But it didn't effect us, we still did everything we planned to do. The Tea Rooms in the village do excellent food by the way. The town is small but it has everything you need.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as a good, warm base. No frills but certainly adequate and we would stay again should we go to Grindelwald. Switzerland is outstanding, picturesque, people are friendly and well organised.
You must go.

• Liked — the warmth of the hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
Norfolk Nebraska
Reviewed 10 October 2007

After reading prior reviews I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice hotel. The location is close to a train station, situated at the base of Mount Eiger with perfect views. The room was spacious and clean, hotel staff were friendly, and the breakfast served was very good. I would highly recommend this hotel as well as the lovely town of Grindelwald.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank CattleBaroness
USA
Reviewed 9 October 2007

This hotel was booked for me by a company called Pure Adventures. It was a "self directed" tour. I checked out the hotel on the Trip Advisor website before I left. From the reviews I didn't expect this hotel to be very good. What a pleasant surprise when I arrived. It is a lovey small hotel. My room was adorable and I had a small balcony that looked out on the Eiger mountain. It was clean and I had a huge bathtub. The breakfast was great. The location couldn't be better. It is only a block from the train station. My room was on the main street through town. Grindelwald is a very small town so there was really not much traffic noise even with my window open all night. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative was that they had a large event room down the hall from my room and I could smell the fried potatoes they served at 10:00pm.

• Liked — The balcony and the bed
  • Disliked — I didn't get to stay longer
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrenchNP
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I spent 3D2N in Grindelwald. It was my second visit to Switzerland and first to Grindelwald. It was indeed a marvellous place, despite the absence of most touted activities as the facilities were preparing for the summer visitors.

I had great expectations of this hotel prior to my visit based on the high ratings and reviews on Tripadvisors as well as the impressive website. We arrived late at night after a long trip from Lugano. The hotel was very easy to find, about 50m from the train station on on a gentle slope. The hotel reception is located above a pub and we had to drag our heavy luggages up.

We were given two rooms with a inter-connecting bath/toilet. However, the lights were not working for one which left me wondering if the staff were prepared for our arrival and the room situation. After a while, we were relocated to a higher floor. However, one room was lacking a remote control and a safe while the other room's safe was not working. We reflected this to the staff on numerous occasions but it was not rectified up till our departure.

The hotel, overall, looked quite shoddy and our rooms were very small, different from what I see on their website. While the booking came with free entrance to the sport-centre (swimming and skating), we only realised on our arrival that the centre has been closed for some time due to renovation, which had me felt cheated as the staff was fully aware of this. The matter was made worse as my fellow travellers were enticed by this offer, hence the booking.

We would suggest other hotels in the area as proximity is not an issue. The website looks deceiving (especially the rooms). I will visit Grindelwald again but definitely keep away from this hotel.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank epong
London
Reviewed 29 October 2006

I have just returned from a fantastic week-long holiday in Grindelwald staying at the Wolter (half board). I was with my partner and 2 kids aged 11yrs & 14yrs - the kids had their own room adjacent to ours.

Firstly, the location is excellent - very close to the train station with great views of the Eiger and beautiful surrounding mountains.

We enjoyed a typical continental breakfast every morning and incredibly good, 4 course a la carte meals every night. An alternative was provided if anyone didn't like something on the menu. Staff service was excellent at all times and we felt very welcome.

The rooms were clean & bright and both bedrooms & bathrooms were of an adequate size. Both our rooms had balconies overlooking the mountains and fields at the side and back of the hotel - which were lovely especially with the cow bells ringing through the day. The front bedrooms are larger and overlook the Eiger.

The last week of October is the last week of the summer season and many attractions were closing especially on the last Sunday in October, however I knew about this after researching the area on the internet (thanks to this website). The advantage to this was that Grindelwald was relatively quiet with few visitors although the hotel did not reduce it's level of service, which I have seen in some other resorts.

We were given a visitors card which allowed us free access to the sports centre which was just across the road so we could go swimming & ice skating (price of skate hire = 6sfr). We were allowed to play with the ice hockey sticks, pucks & nets which was a good laugh.

Another brilliant idea is the Swiss luggage transport system and I recommend paying the small charge for the luggage free transfers if you are travelling by train. We registered our cases on the morning of departure and were given our boarding cards by the Wolter receptionist! We didn't even have to check in at Zurich airport - so easy.

I would certainly stay at the Wolter again and am surprised that there aren't more reviews - we met one repeat guest during our week.

• Liked — Great Food
  • Disliked — No tea/coffee making facilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the season dates for buses, cable cars & trains