Jungfrau Lodge Swiss Mountain Hotel
US$223
US$159
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Central Hotel Wolter(Grindelwald)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$683
US$624
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
Hotel Kreuz & Post(Grindelwald)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Kirchbuehl(Grindelwald)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbudget hotelmain hoteltrain stationrecommend this hotelspacious apartmentscenic viewfree breakfast istriple roomlittle extrasexcellent viewhot waternon skiersski bushalf boardskiing holidaysmall balconyexcellent hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We have been to Switzerland a few times and this hotel gave us the excellent experience that the previous hotels had. Perhaps just a little better than the others. Comfy beds and blackout curtains made for a good nights sleep. The pillows are meant to be folded in half we think. All the food was excellent and we ate everything. The service and all the staff were brilliant. Breakfast items were constantly topped up and the portions were big. The prices of the drinks at your table were the same as other places that we visited during our holiday. Free use of the local swimming pool and buses was a nice addition to our holiday. It is perfectly sited a short walk from town and stunning views from all the bedroom, restaurant and reception windows.

Room Tip: We were in the main building which was best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I are just back from a week in Grindelwald staying at the Jungfrau Lodge.

I'll be honest, given the price of the holiday (bearing in mind it was our first visit to Switzerland), we were initially a bit underwhelmed by our room. It was clean and tidy but pretty basic. But then this is one of the cheaper options in Grindelwald and as soon as we accepted that then things started looking up.

In fact, things started looking up the second we went out on to our balcony. If you are reading these reviews without having visited the area you will soon grow tired of hearing about the stunning views, but the truth is that the views really are breathtaking. And from our room you had a quite spectacular view of the Eiger. For the record, we were in the main building - which we were pleased about - with a south facing room.

Other things worth noting - the mattress and pillows were very soft. This isn't my preference, but we were so tired after our days out that it really wasn't an issue. The pillows were feather and my wife has a mild allergy to them but reception sorted us out with synthetic ones without any fuss. The bathroom is basic but fine and the shower was very good.

As everyone has noted, the reception staff were very helpful, including arranging the collection of our bags from the station. They also spoke excellent English, as did every Swiss person we met!

We were half-board and ate in the hotel restaurant every night. Except for the night when we had a fabulous fondue, the meals consisted of 4-courses per night - usually a salad, a soup, a main course and dessert. They were of a decent standard - just consistently tasty.

Overall for a stay in Grindelwald on what passes for a budget in Switzerland I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. And I really couldn't recommend spending a week in Grindelwald highly enough!

Room Tip: South facing rooms in the main building boast a magnificent view of the Eiger
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We opted to stay in Grindelwald for our time spent in the Jungfrau region. We were thinking of staying in one of the other smaller villages higher up in the valleys, but the weather was looking iffy and we had a rental car that we wanted to make use of to explore the region.

Grindelwald, while known as being a more "touristy" and busy village in the region is still fairly small and provides awesome views of the Eiger and surrounding peaks. We found it to be a great home-base for day trips up the mountains via gondolas and trains to the other small mountain villages and various sights. I'm not sure if all rooms face the same direction, but the rooms that overlook the main road and the valley up to the Eiger are amazing. I spent every evening relaxing on the small balcony in absolute awe of the mountains and incredibly bright green hills. A walk down to the lobby bar to pick up a large cold glass of local beer to bring back up to the room to be enjoyed with the balcony view capped off a great day of exploring/hiking.

The rooms at the Jungfrau lodge were clean (albeit older) and comfortable. The included breakfast was decent with a good selection of usual german/swiss items (cheeses, breads, cereals, yogurts, juice, coffee, dried fruits, etc...). Considering how pricy things are in Switzerland, the Jungfrau lodge was a good deal.

They offer wifi, but you have to pay about 5CHF for 24 hour login credentials (I've seen worse). The staff was friendly and the ladies at the front desk helped us purchase a couple of gondola/cable car tickets as well as a pair of train tickets up to Wengen.

As I said, there is a lot to do and see in the region, and I feel that Grindelwald was a good base for heading out to the other towns (especially if you have a car at your disposal). If so, I can recommend the Jungfrau Lodge as a budget-friendly yet quality accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

We had been here for two nights in our honeymoon trip. As this was our first time in Swiss so we have a lot of questions to ask, the girl in the reception (I cannot remember h2er name) was so nice and always reply us in details and with respectful manner. The view in our room was amazing that I still missing even I had left for a couples weeks. Would definately return and hope we can meet the reception girl again in our next visit:)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My cousin and I spent one night here during a rail trip around Europe; we were on a tight budget and booked into this hotel primarily because it was so much cheaper than most of the others! We imagined for the price that it would be more like a youth hostel than a hotel but we couldn't have been more wrong!
The room was clean and spacious with a balcony and amazing views of the mountains, the public areas were very cosy and traditional, and breakfast was great - loads of choice. It was really useful to have a computer with free internet access in Reception too!
Special mention however must go to the incredibly helpful and pleasant reception staff who came to our aid during a crisis. My cousin fell very ill during our stay and they couldn't have been more accommodating. For no extra charge they let me help myself to food from the breakfast buffet to take up to him in the room, even providing me with a tray, a carafe of hot water and lots of little extras. We were meant to be checking out after breakfast but my cousin was too poorly to travel and they found him another room so that he could stay an extra night. Unfortunately I had to leave him and travel to Germany but the hotel staff loked after him in my absence, sending up more food (again for no charge) and checking up on him. When he was feeling a little better the following day, they helped him make all the necessary travel arrangements to fly back to the UK. We can't thank them enough for their kindness.
To have received such service in such a gorgeous hotel in such a wonderful location, the price we paid was unbelievable! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel for breathtaking mountain views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends