“A beautiful stay!”

Jungfrau Lodge Swiss Mountain Hotel
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
Reviewed 9 May 2014

True to promises made during my booking, this hotel did allot me a room with a beautiful view of Mount Eiger. Jungfrau lodge has two buildings- the Lodge and the Crystal Annex across the street from each other. Lodge is more ethnic and charming, all wood exterior with bright blue windows. I did not see the rooms in there since I had booked Annex. The reception is in the lodge and so is breakfast. We did not visit the restaurant but the hotel information booklet suggested that it was open for dinner between 7-8 pm and you could preorder it.

Comparatively the Annex looks like a generic cement building and I did feel a little disappointed as I took the narrow elevator to my room on the 4th floor. By now I had spent a week in Switzerland and knew all about small room sizes. This was my first surprise- the room was huge, and it came with a balcony complete with a table and two chairs. And the View of Mt Eiger looming large and majestically showing off its snow capped peak. You could see the Grindewald trains coming into the station, the train line to Klein Schendigg, and a beautiful view of the little houses dotting the green meadows and the tinkling of the cow bells.

I will certainly stay here again but this hotel is not for enjoying hotel food, room service or lazing about in your room. I suggest carrying your own toiletries since they have the all in one soap dispenser that I dislike. But the rooms are clean, the towels nice and soft, and there is a hairdryer provided. I had to use a power plug in the bathroom to charge my phone since there are no spare plugs in the room. There is no kettle in the room but the hotel said they will provide hot water for a charge. There is no mini-bar or glasses, in that way it is a bit budget but the view, room rate and comfort make up for it. The hotel provides a free bus travel card, and offers a 15% or so discount on tickets for Jungfraujoch. We did not use either since we have the Swiss Half-fare card and you can walk to most places and don't need a bus. They also store your luggage for the day after you check out.

To get there from the station- walk away from the SBB information counter in the direction of Interlaken. If your train comes from Interlaken, then the same platform ends up in a small curving cycle path (tarred) You can walk down it, it will take you under a bridge, cross the street, turn right and continue in the Interlaken train direction in a straight line for about 300-400m. You will cross a petrol/gas station on your left and Hotel Belvedere on your right. The lodge is further up on the right side and the Annex is a building on your left. Go to the Lodge for check-in.

We walked into town to enjoy the local pubs and eat at another restaurant. The hotel is about a km away from what you would call downtown. The downtown is on the other side of the station but an easy walk that is surrounded by the beautiful mountains.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KaySingy

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very good location, fantastic view of the mountain / elger. Our room had a great view and a terrace. Nice breakfast included. Rooms are a little old and bathroom may need some renovation. Friendly staffs. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkny97
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Visited for the second time and still satisfied. We are both rather tall people the staff was very helpful in finding another beds for us that we would fit in. Excellent view on both sides if you select the rooms with mountain view. Compared to the other hotels in Grindelwald that are overpriced this place is at a nice location and good value for money.
Breakfast could be improved, however. Suggestion: for walking/hiking, come from late May and not in April.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank ultimateguest
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Just spent a week here. Very pleasant experience. Good rooms. Good food. Very friendly staff. Good snow. A couple of comments. The ski boot room is inside the hotel and skis are in a room outside. (Not really a big issue). Be careful of the crossing from the hotel to the pavement at the other side. It's on a bend. I almost got run over. It would appear that some cars just ignore the pedestrian crossings. So be careful with children or the elderly who may not have the sense or speed to get out of the way quickly enough. The train station is a few minutes from the hotel as is the bus terminal and the town centre.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor. The hotel sits right on the road.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank B E
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Good location for walk within 10 mins or less from the main train station of Grindelwald.

The hotel is reasonably priced given the location.

I booked a single room with shared bath room for 4 days. Upon my arrival I was so impressed with the view overlooking the Eiger and the nice village apposite the hotel. So I asked for a change in room to a twin sharing with bathroom attached and a balcony. I was so lucky that the room was available on the second day till the last day of my trip in Grindelwald. I must say the service is very good upon my request, it was prompt and helpful and the transfer of my luggages were well taken care off after my day out. All I have to do was to go to the room straight away.

The commendable thing was, they supply good hair dryer. It's important for me after a sweaty hiking.

The receptionist at the front desk provides good information for tourists. I managed to get a good explanation as to what to do around Grindelwald. I was able to purchase the train tickets at the front desk based on the routes I wanted to go everyday.

The breakfast was good and decent given the price paid. E.g. Yogurt, cornflakes, bread, hard boiled egg, cold cut of hams and coffees and tea.

The downside is the hotel does not have an elevator but this is not a big issue and the front desk will be helpful on this. And the hotel has wooden floor, so if you are light sleeper, this may affect you as you can hear the foot step one floor above you. Anyway, noise stop after 10 pm.

If I ever come back to Grindelwald again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Mslovetravelling
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Okay, so my basis for giving a review is mainly due to the toilet. The toilet is renovated and the hair dryer for use are the professional kind found in the hair salons. We stayed here for 2 nights at the Crystal Lodge and the room is basic. Due to the thin walls, there was a limitation on the TV volume which is low. You'd need to sit close to the bed to hear the TV but since it was mostly in German, I would not have understood anyway. We had a nice view of the village from our room. Breakfast is basic with the usual spread of milk, cheese, dried apricots, cornflakes etc. The Lodge is about a 5 minutes walk (downhill) from Grindelwald station.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 October 2013

If you could sit outside on the balcony all day and all night, you'd never be disappointed. It's incredible to see this view of the Eiger, the train that goes up the mt, the village homes that look like part of a Xmas scene, etc. We stayed across the street in the lodge from the main hotel and dining room. It was very nice, had all you needed. We had to look for outlets to recharge our devices that wouldn't stop us from using lamps and such but it worked. Nice location, 1/2 mile from the hub of town. Had a great server for breakfast. One day we had to ask for eggs but then the next day they were on the buffet. Love seeing the colored egg shells!

Room Tip: Get a view of the Eiger...even if you have to stay in the lodge....its stunning!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends