All reviewsmountain sportsnight boxbreadthe busenjoyed my stayamazing viewstrain station to the hotelstaff was very friendly and helpfulmountain viewwould definitely stay here againbreakfast was delicioussimple hotelstayed here for nightspleasant staynorth faceevery morningexcellent hotel
Reviewed 13 July 2013

As others have said: the mountain views from the front-facing side of the hotel are truly world-class; the breakfasts are generous and tasty with many choices, though I've had better espresso; the rooms are not flashy or large but are quite good (the showers, though small, have superior water pressure and the hot water comes up instantly); the hosts and staff know everything there is to know about hiking, paragliding, mountain biking, and probably every other sport in the area; the location is very nice if you don't mind walking uphill to get there (and if you do, probably Grindelwald is not the right place for you to visit since it's all hills) -- and the owners can sometimes be not all that friendly and even a bit defensive in strange ways, which is why I don't give it the 'Excellent' that it might otherwise deserve. Sometimes they were great, sometimes not. Some of the staff, like Susana, were super friendly and helpful at all times.

As far as 'sleep quality', one side of the hotel can be extremely sunny and loud (birds singing) in the early morning -- it would be better if there were real curtains on that side of the hotel to keep the sunlight out. Otherwise it was fine.

I would stay here again if I was going to stay in Grindelwald, because in almost every way they do go above and beyond with many nice little extras, but personally I'd choose another town as my base for a Jungfrau hiking trip next time.

Room Tip: Face the Alps!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We arrived to be told we had been upgraded to a "superior" room, which turned out to be a newly (2010) modelled room, small but very chic, with the most amazing views from the balcony, out to the valley and the magnificent Eiger. Conny and Ben were very friendly and helpful, the amenities and breakfast excellent. Buses are reasonably frequent - and free - though the last bus back up the hill to the hotel was 6.45pm so careful planning was needed! We loved everything about the hotel, especially all the little extras - except the bathroom, which although well designed and modern, has glass (not opaque glass!) door and windows from the bedroom, with one roller blind covering part of the door. We were told this was "intimate" and allowed light in to the bathroom. Hmm.. well we've been married over 40 years, but still found that a bit too much intimacy - "your turn on the balcony now, dear...." was the order of the day!

Room Tip: Front rooms have a jaw-dropping view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frequent-flyer21
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

What absolute bliss!

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in early June. We are from Australia aged 24 & 27.

Got off the train at Grindelwald train station at about 9.00 pm to find ourselves standing in pure bliss! The view is so amazing it looks like a picture!

Rang the hotel and they were there to pick us up within ten minutes. We should have called them earlier to let them know we were arriving late though as reception closes at 9. They were fine though!

Anyway the room was just gorgeous! Like a real cottage feel. Cosy and warm pillows and dooners. But the balcony/terrace what can I say? The view from there is just INCREDIBLE! My boyfriend and I were blown away!!!

We didn't want to go to Jungfrau we just wanted to stay there all day!

The breakfast is great too - delicious buffet!

Lovely, helpful staff!

Definitely stay there!

Oh and walk to station is about 20 mins with luggage - we had to walk to station on way back as we left super early and buses weren't running. A downhill gorgeous walk though!

Only fault which we totally saw past was the fact that the double bed was two singles pushed together. Who cares though with a view like that!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I've spent two ski-sport weekends at Hotel Lauberhorn in Grindelwald this winter and really feel like I've finally discovered the Swiss hotel that I've been searching for since I arrived here seven years ago. If you’re a mountain sports fan like me, Hotel Lauberhorn is the perfect place to stay in Grindelwald. The atmosphere is sporty, laid-back and friendly but the quality of service and attention to detail are second to none. For my job I often stay in top-class international hotels around the world but few have done as good a job of making me feel as welcome and at home as Hotel Lauberhorn. I put this down to the fact that the place is run by a husband and wife team who are fans of mountain sports but who clearly also have a passion and talent for the hospitality business. It’s great to see people doing “work” they are passionate about!
p.s. Did I mention the view? Welcome to the Swiss Alps!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 79norman
Reviewed 27 January 2013

It is absolutely great location, in a walking distance from the town and at the same time in the quiet countryside. Bus stop is just outside as well. The views to front of the hotel are stunning, you see lots if beautiful snowy roofs and mighty Eiger. The hotel is very clean and decorated with a taste. Staff are very friendly and helpful, they advised us on best skiing location for beginners, gave quite useful tips, etc. You feel really like at home, this is something most hotel networks lack these days. The breakfast was amazing, fresh bread and pastries, good choice of cheese and cereals, we especially liked the selection of teas - they have a dozen of jars with full-size herbal leaves and a number of specialty teas that you put in a infuser yourself and brew it. We will most likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in front have a stunning view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple