“excellent hotel!”

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
The Netherlands
“excellent hotel!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Such a lovely surprise \when I went into my room and found a balcony all tomyself and the best view upon the Eiger. The room is very big for a single room. Although simple it had everything I need (so no TV, phone, refrigerator). The staff were lovely and knew everything about the environment from restaurants, public transport, guided tours, biking etc, and they were more than happy to share this with their customers.
When I was staying the EigerUltraTrail was starting at 04.30 for the 101km - runners. The staff got up and organised a breakfast at 3.30 for the 4 or 5 runners that ran that day. How good is that!
Upon leaving I received a bag of tea made of local flowers, such a lovely gesture! I can't wait to go back next year :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this lovely small hotel for 7 nights in June. We had a balcony on the second floor, with a fabulous view directly on Eiger and Mittenberg Mountains,

The room was small, but more than adequate for us. It was cleaned daily and nicely organized.
The breakfast buffet included a selection of local cheese and sliced cold meats, muesli, other cereals, juices, and yoghurt. There were also many local breads and rolls, lots of fruit, and a cook-it-yourself egg station where you could easily make soft or hard boiled eggs.

Connie and Beni and Anita went out of their way to make our stay as nice as possible. We definitely plan on returning to Grindelwald!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mountains, preferably on a top floor. Also, we had a room at the end of t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarySanDiego
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The proprietor Beni had good to great customer service, but...
Most all the other receptionists and hostesses had an edge that was hard to overlook.
For the money paid this made our stay uncomfortable.
1) On the first night I asked for a cocktail at the bar. The response for the hostess was "I get off in 15 minutes so you'd better be quick." She poured a thimble amount of whiskey into a tumbler. I found an 8 euro charge when I checked out.
2) We ate a picnic lunch outside under the extraordinary view. Since there are no trash cans anywhere to be found, I asked the receptionist to help dispose of my quart baggie of trash. Her response was "take it to your room!" (two flights up--and there was a can beneath her feet at the front counter).
3) Upon checking in my son could not locate his tooth brush. The front desk provided one but we found a charge on our bill when we left....
I could go on and on but the "culture" of the place was not warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Very very noisy between rooms. Choose the highest floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank James L
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Lauberhorn for 3 days in March, 2014. We had a Top Double room with a TV. Both our room and the views from our balcony were great. Breakfast was excellent as well. We enjoyed the walk to and from central Grindelwald. Connie and the staff were helpful. We were very happy with our choice of the Hotel Lauberhorn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pine Mountain, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Lauberhorn in September for three days. The location was quiet, just past the main town. The views were great, room was very nice, NO TV's, the shower was strangely placed outside bathroom in middle of room. You had to step up at least a foot to get into shower. Breakfast was good. Great tea selection. Unfortunately, the owner, Connie seemed to have an attitude against Americans. She made several nasty remarks about Americans. Due to a misunderstanding on our second night, we arrived back at hotel to find Connie, the owner at the front desk irrate. She accused us of leaving our room a mess when she had asked us to pack it up and leave our luggage at the front door so they could move it up to another room. We said, you moved the wrong room. She proceeded to say no they moved the right room. As it turned out, she moved the wrong room. I was mortified that her staff had packed my belongings and personal items without my knowledge. Connie continued to have an attitude with us not wanting to admit she had made a mistake. As a small business owner, my husband did not take kindly to this attitude. He approached Connie in a professional manner in an attempt to resolve this situation. She continued to argue. My husband told her that if he had done this to a customer, he would give some kind of compensation for the error. She said, what do you want money? Go have a glass of wine and relax. The conversaton was going nowhere, so finally she said fine I will give you 20% off one night. After the conversation, her and her husband continued to make us feel like we were not welcome and we had done something wrong. The following morning, they made a point of greeting everyone at breakfast with the exception of us. This was totally uncalled for and I did not appreciate being treated this way. You can have the nicest views, but if your attitude is like this, you couldn't pay me to stay there again.

Room Tip: second floor rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Joanne R
North Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Once in a while in your travels are you are treated to stumble upon a gem of a hotel – Hotel Lauberhorn is just this gem! A great hotel for the active guest!!Breakfast was hearty and delicious with all sorts of local items, our room had a balcony with a spectacular view of the Eiger, and the room was very clean, comfortable and modern. For the cyclist (we were on a cycling trip) you can have your dirty cycling clothes cleaned overnight free of charge – a wonderful treat of a service. The staff was friendly and very helpful in riding, hiking and eating suggestions! I would stay in Hotel Lauberhorn again and I recommend it highly!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mischel T
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Lauberhorn and enjoyed the breakfast. Upon asking for suggestions on where to hike, the proprietors, were extremely rude and not helpful. Overall, they seem to be arrogant. Be careful when booking with this hotel, as we were not aware that we had a room without a TV. It does not state that on the website. Also, we got charged 5 Swiss Francs for using our credit card which is also not disclosed on their website. The walls in the hotel rooms are also very thin so you can hear everyone around you. Other than that, the view is absolutely breathtaking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends