“A snowy idyll!”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Grindelwald
London, United Kingdom
“A snowy idyll!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a ski week in February 2014, having spotted it (and its bubbling hot spa), from the slopes the previous year. We loved it - it was great to be right in the snow line, able to ski down to the the cable car to start the day. The room was really clean, stylish with a second bed up on a mezzanine level, above the master bed, and a balcony to admire the mountain views. We loved 'tea time' - a welcome treat of tea and cake served at the end of a day on the slopes; Evening meals were adventurous and we really enjoyed the flavour pairings and presentation. Would certainly go back! Staff (and the hotel cat) are friendly and helpful :-). I guess it is a bit of a trek back to town if you wanted to go out, but we were very happy to spend evenings relaxing in the hotel surroundings. A bus or the hotel shuttle was very easy to catch too.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel two nights, we really love it!
The hotel is located in the mountain for about ten minuets driving from the lovely town.
Is better to have a car if you plan to go out frequently.
Fabulous facilities with stylish touches in the rooms.
Services in general are very processional.
If you are visiting Interlake city, I'd recommend to plan some time in this hotel which is also near to access trains into most of the attraction areas and mountains.
The only disappointed thing is that there were many flies during dining times.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in June 2014. Very comfortable and the staff were wonderful. We loved our view of the north face of the Eiger and would spend much of our time on the large balcony looking out at the lovely sights. The breakfast was plentiful and a huge assortment of local meats, cheeses and breads. I would highly recommend this location for a very nice getaway. The only drawback was it's location. It is located out of Grindelwald so you need to rely on the bus system, which has hourly service to and from town, or have your own car as it is a fairly long walk. We were fine with figuring out the bus and the staff gave us lots of advice and a bus pass was included in our room cost so it was not a big inconvenience for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike E
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Both the form and the function of this very comfortable hotel were well considered in the beautiful redesign. Every thing is fresh, clean, appealing, comfortable, well-thought through. The view of astounding mountains from each set of windows and the lovely balcony porch are wonderful. The breakfast is included and very nice...hot and cold options, local products.
Like almost everywhere we explored in the greater Grindelwald area in June, there were many flies. Everywhere. The charming pastoral farm views and sounds come with the price of the whole package...you get flies, too The management did, helpfully, provide a fly swatter. My suggestion? Window screens. Then, windows could be thrown open to enjoy cool evening breezes (and wonderful sleep!). It would be well worth the investment. I do not appreciate flies, and I would stay here again, though. And, if you are staying anywhere in the area in the summer, you will encounter this issue, I suspect. The problem is not particular to this hotel.
They have a spa and fitness options, but we were on the trail and did not use those services.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank notallwhowanderarelo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel itself is a beautiful building with a backdrop of alpine meadows and the Eiger. Our balcony had a view down the valley, but pretty much anywhere in the hotel has amazing views. The room was clean and modern, as was the bathroom. Other reviewers have commented on unfriendly staff but we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The spa is ultra modern and offers added luxury. We had one dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good and beautifully presented. Breakfast offers a good cold buffet and a limited hot selection. Yes, there are flies, as previous reviewers have mentioned, but this is a problem common to the entire area not just the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a galleried area for extra bed/beds are limited in height and accessed by a ladder so not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Better for couples or in ski season. Our family (me, wife 7yo girl and 10 yo boy) were really looking forward to our stay for a few days in the Swiss Mountains. The hotel was nice and modern and the view from the rooms great though there was unfortunately not much for our kids to do (in fact nothing) the hotel also is 10 minutes drive from town. Breakfast selection was somewhat limited for what we were expecting. Dinners were good though we would have been better off with full menu rather than room & board package . One big issue was the flies - there were 1,000's of them and they got into your room and food. Being from Australia we are used to flies but it got ridiculous. Spa was adults only so again no swimming for kids. Would be an awesome place to stay in snow season - which I guess is their main business.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank FamilyGuy2000
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have just come back from a weekend in Grindelwald with my girlfriend. We love the area and we even came back to the same hotel where we stayed last time.

The hotel has been fully renovated a couple of years ago. Rooms are very modern and decorated with great taste. In both out stays we had a balcony with very nice mountain view. I hated the pillows, very flat ones, but I guess it depends on your own taste.
It is located a bit away of the town, so you have to be patient if you want to use the public transport (there is a bus every hour, line 3).
Nevertheless, all that would not be an issue for us. Our main complain is, as I read from other reviews, the behaviour of the staff in the hotel. Apart from the owner, who picked us up in the train station and showed interest in helping us with our weekend, we didn't see any help/interest from the lady in the reception. We kindly asked her to give us some advice about hiking routes as weather was not looking so great and we didn't want to risk it...she sent us to the Jungfraujoch, where walking is simply not possible! It was obviously our mistake: we trusted her and we didn't double check, so we ended up spending 200CHF for nothing, as we couldn't even enjoy the view...It is simply unbeliveable that a mountain hotel can't give tourists any advice on where to go for a hike...

Even worse than that is the way that most members of the staff treat the guests: they are all very unfriendly and do not seemed interested on satisfying anybody. During our dinner I was asked several times if everything was fine. The answer they expect is "yes, sure, very good, thanks". Food was fine, average, nothing to complain about, but it just happened that had a glass of wine which turned out being disgusting. I tried it once, then my girlfriend, and we both thought that it probably had gone bad...it can happen. So for the first time in my life, I asked the waitress to replace it (one glass, not a bottle!) and, after 5 minutes, she came back with the bottle saying that they had tried it and it was good! Very odd and embarrasing situation that could have been avoided by simply bringing another 1 dl glass!! What about this thing of "the customer is always right"?
Honestly, in any place, no matter the price, I would have got another glass of wine without more questions. In a hotel where I paid 300 CHF per night, I would expect to get my 1 dl glass replaced if I (and my girlfriend!) thought that the wine was bad. They didn't do it and they even charged me 8chf for a glass of wine I never had.

Great deal for them: I will never come back and my girlfriend will not book the stay she got in mind for her parents.

Other things that I disliked: the amount of flies is disgusting, especially in the breakfast area. Toileteries were not replaced at all after being used (in a 300 CHF room...). The spa was not quiet at all, people were laughing and shouting; my girlfriend booked a massage (110 CHF for 50 minutes massage) and she thought it was the worst massage she ever had...the girl seemed to be very tired and not putting much interest on it. We went for breakfast on Sunday at 10am and we basically ate the leftovers. Both nights they soups I had as starter for dinner were cold.

I won't come back. The area is full of nice hotels where you will feel welcome and where Swiss people will be willing to help you enjoy their beautiful mountains.

Room Tip: the rooms with balcony facing the main entrance are literally in front of a farm with piles of cow p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple