“Great place for beer and ribs”
Review of Brasserie 17

Brasserie 17
Ranked #21 of 174 Restaurants in Interlaken
Price range: US$16 - US$31
Cuisines: Diner, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: You will certainly feel at home in our restaurant and bar, the Brasserie17. This is the place in town, where people meet. Taste one of our 8 different beers on tap or enjoy our famous ribs & wings! Besides preparing good food and cool drinks we create a good atmosphere, where everybody feels at home. In the summer in our beautiful covered garden terrace and in winter at one of our live music evenings or live sports viewings.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stopped off for a quick drink one afternoon, started chatting to the bartenders and ended up staying longer then ordering ribs and chips. Very welcoming pub with tasty food.

1  Thank tad_85

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I discovered this place when I was last in Interlaken six years ago, and was delighted to find it still there, as it is somewhere that ticks all the boxes for me. If you are looking for a cosy and comfortable restaurant for an intimate meal – table linen, wine glasses and the soft buzz and clink of cutlery from fellow diners – then it may not be for you, but otherwise it is well worth finding.

It is a down-to earth bar with a good casual atmosphere, reasonable prices (for Switzerland), a good range of beers (and probably the cheapest beer in town), and although a bar ambience rather than a restaurant it offers a decent menu. The service is good – friendly, chatty, helpful (both the women) and often witty (one of the men, although the other appears more taciturn). It is obviously popular with locals as well as the few tourists (or rather the younger travellers) that find it. I was told that their burgers and wings are good, but on each occasion we went I had the ribs, which seems to be their most popular dish. I’m not surprised, as they were great and plentiful, and at a good price, so after the first time the rest of the menu didn’t stand a chance! (although my wife had chicken salad, which she said was good).

A word about the ribs. I note a review that describes them as dry. Well, for Americans (who seem to like everything drenched in a sauce or served with dips) they may be because unlike what is served in America they do not come covered with a sauce, whereas in the US they are invariably ‘smothered in’ or even ‘slathered in’ a BBQ sauce. As this sauce totally obliterates any other taste you might just as well have cardboard smothered in the BBQ sauce! Here, the fact they are grilled with just a surface spice and served without being covered in sauce means that you can actually taste what you are eating - the meat. For me they are much better for being ‘dry’ and the lack of an overwhelming sauce.

It is a little off the main road and town centre (but not far), but invariably busy (it also seems to provide accommodation judging by the number of back packers and younger tourists that pass through to the back), and even more so on Thursday evening when they have live music. It was crowded each time we went in late October and early November. As this is the quiet time of year between summer and winter seasons (and none of the evenings was a Thursday), and most other places seemed to be struggling for custom in the evening, that must be a good indication that it is worth going to

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stumbled upon this place just by chance and at a time when we were getting a little tired of rich, cheesy fare. We found exactly what we needed, salads, soups, vegetarian options. It was all good and the service was very friendly and accomodating. Great place for a casual, value for money meal.

1  Thank r0yalty
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a great place to start the night. The meals are reasonably priced for interlaken standards and the food is great. Beers are cheaper here and you will meet great people as it is where all the locals hang out a lot of the time. The service is excellent and the staff is always friendly. Worth a visit while in interlaken.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a local and we also read the Trip Advisor reviews and thought it would be a good bet...WRONG! We ordered french onion soup and that should have been the tip off...it was very salty vegetable broth with maybe a half shake of Parmesan cheese and a slice of garlic bread("made fresh daily" ), on the side. We then had the ribs, which were dry rub, tasty but without much meat. The advertised "salad" that came with it was ONE cherry tomato and ONE slice of cucumber. The vegetable was a 1 1/2 inch portion of corn on the cob that was overcooked, reheated to the point it was rubbery, caramelized and stuck forever to your teeth.

The service was VERY poor. We are not high maintenance type folks. We were sitting outside. When the server arrived with our food, moving plates into position resulted in my fork falling off the table. The waiter saw it, "Tsk-ed" us and rolled his eyes. I assumed he went off to get me another fork. He did not, nor did he ever return to ask us if there was anything else we needed.

Since we could not get his attention to get our check after 15 mins. of trying, I went inside and asked the bartender for the check. When he asked how things were, I told him about the disappointing quality of the food, the recommendation we had to come there, and the terrible service. All that got me was "I'm sorry" with no sincerity or offer to help make amends.

Maybe it was an "off night" but I would definitely say you cloud do MUCH better elsewhere and there are plenty of other places to choose from.

1  Thank Morgan1025