“Too Much for Our Taste”

Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Interlaken
Reviewed 17 July 2014

While I don't have a lot of really critical things to say, this was just not the right choice for us. It is a huge property with very long walks from elevator to room and to get to the restaurants. The location is fine, with great mountain views in front. We were on a lower floor in the rear but spent time in the patio bar to enjoy the scenery (and to watch the hang-gliders land right across the street.) No A/C, which was a problem on the very warm days we were there. The room was of a decent size, but the bath was quite small with a very modest selection of toiletries for a posh hotel. Cold selections on the breakfast buffet were fine; hot choices were poor. Overall, service was very good except in the restaurants where staff was polite but very slow to respond to requests.

1  Thank saintlouisan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,398)

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I stay for 2 night for preparing to Fungfrau mountain. The room is great even thought they not have air condition because it old building didn't design for air condition but when I was there is summer the outside temperature are cool enough to open big windows. The location far from train station, walking from the Interlaken ost about 10 minutes and I pay taxi for 3 people 16 CHF. Although it far , their location is invaluable scene about big mountains and large field in front of restuarant also romantic coffee shop and bar that we enjoy a lot. The disadvantage is the high price if you just stay for going to Jungfrau only sleep and store your luggages

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Apart from a very minor mishap with locating the heating control in our room, this hotel is absolutely excellent, from the spectacular breakfast buffet to the bars and the choice of restaurants.
We were very pleased with the SPA services (though the pool tends to be a bit busy at weekends).
Great place, great staff and worth every penny you pay

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel room were very nice. The king bed seprated to 2 twin beds. The room was cooled at night by opening the windows to the balcony. Our balcony view was of mainly a garage next door. We were on the side of the hotel on the second floor. The employees were nice but not very pleasant. The employees of the restaurant were some what rude. The weather was excellent. we were there from May 14th thru the 21st.

Room Tip: If you are on the side of the building, request a room higher than the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We did not have a view of the Jungfrau but our room at the back of the hotel did look over other beautiful gardens and the mountain where the parasailers took off. Just beautiful. Very quiet in the back of the hotel. The rooms are conditioned by air (not air conditioned) but we requested and promptly received a free standing fan which was enough to keep us cool at night in late June. Breakfast buffet in La Terrasse was great, as was dinner. They can open the entire row of front windows at the restaurant and the breezes were wonderful.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had stayed once before at the VJ and was looking forward to this visit for 3 nights. There was a mix up with my luggage from the train station from Lucerne which was not a good start(but no fault of the hotels).
I was apparently upgraded to a room with a view of the Jungrau there turned out to be two problems with this. When I was taken to the room the first impression was that it was warm and a bit stuffy, I then noticed a long free standing fan. Hmmm I thought surely there is air conditioning?
Answer NO. But we could bring up another fan they said. Not going well so far. Second issue, the rooms which face the Jungfrau also face the busy street side so at night when you are trying to sleep there is a lot of noise coming from the nearby restaurants and a few happy visitors, only other problem with this is that is goes on to the early hours of the morning, like 2am!!
Of course you could shut the window to eliminate the noise(or restrict it) but then you have to turn the fan on the keep the temperature down and then you can't sleep for the noise, so a bit of a no win there.
As far as I know other public areas within the hotel are air conditioned so not sure why this has not been addressed in the rooms.
Conversely the sister hotel the Palace in Lucerne where I had just spent 4 nights was beautiful and could not be faulted in any way.
To add insult to injury on checking out I was not charged for my room at the rate quoted. I was in a rush to catch a train to Geneva but considering the amount was around 100CHF I was not amused.
After I queried the amount I then had to produce the email I had in my suitcase with the agreed amount on it. So after finding the necessary documentation they then had to amend the amount.
In any event this was a less than impressive stay and certainly left a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: not sure what to advise because if you have a room with a view it is noisy from the busy street belo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank JeffDesmond
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Reading some of the other reviews, I hate to be redundant, but....
Check-in was seamless....Valet>Concierge>Reception; our luggage was in the room by the time we got there; the cool washcloths at reception - first time I've seen that - nice touch!
We also had the Amex Platinum upgrade - gorgeous suite with huge balcony facing the Jungfrau and the hang glider landing area! The newly upgraded bath was almost perfect, but I'm not fond of plastic spaceship showers - small, and difficult to close the doors and not flood the room.
Regret - we never made it to the spa.
Restaurants - I will review those separately, but at The Jungfrau Brasserie the food was outstanding, but the service lacked polish - no big deal. The chef at The Jungfrau Brasserie was amazing - all courses absolutely infused with flavor;
La Terrasse was probably the most disappointing meal of our 3+ week trip - the service was impeccable, but the food was blah at best - we had the 'Pork 6 Ways' menu - what a disservice to that poor little pig. And for the tidy sum of $600+ for 2 (including wine, which I had to choose as the sommelier/maître d' really had no clue what to serve with the set menu)...
However, the pianist in the La Terrasse restaurant was incredible!

2  Thank J_Fromage