“Best Lake View ever...”

Interlaken Youth Hostel
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Its nicely put together hostel.. the booking was very easy and also the hostel is well placed from the train station.. We had breakfast included in our package which was just awesome.... The rooms are a bit small but that is what you bargained for right ;)

Even the walk alongside the hostel is nice.. the staff is very helpful..

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Interlaken Youth Hostel

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here two years running, both times have been fantastic. The hotel is located right next to Interlaken Ost. Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed at for comfort / security. The dormitories are spacious and clean. Not a noisy hostel (everyone tends to keep to themselves). Good breakfast and excellent value relative to other accommodation options in Interlaken. Definitely a great place to base yourself for exploring Interlaken and the Jungfrau region.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were a group of 3 lodging in Interlaken Youth Hostel last end of October. The Hotel is nice, well-located and good staff in the reception. But I had a horrible experience in the restaurant with the Chef. When we arrived, the receptionist told us that we could bring food from outside and eating there in designated tables for that using plates and cutlery from the restaurant, it was the some in Lucern and Zúrich Youth Hostels without problems.
We had the dinner from the Restaurant in the youth Hostel the first night but it was nothing special, for this reason, we brought food from outside the second night and I asked for cutlery and plates in to the Chef in the restaurant, he was really rude and disgusting but he gave me that. When I was walking to the table, my friends saw him looking at my and making negative gestures in a very bad manner, i felt really bad when they told me that. After that, I was looking at him and I realised that he was very unpolite with people coming from outside Swiss or not looking like from northern Europe, I felt a clear racist actitude from him.
On the next morning I told what had happened at the reception and they were very sorried and asked me for apologise, and the receptionist told me that it has not been the first time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grancanaria8
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Youth Hostel / Jugendherberge Interlaken impressed me a lot. We booked a couple's room and we were very impressed. The property appears brand new and we had a lovely view from our balcony. Prices were very reasonable by Swiss standards and I could literally slide from my balcony on to the train platform if I had a slide. The staff were very friendly, although not as friendly as the staff from Jugendherberge Zurich. Wifi access in the lobby area is complimentary and works quite well. The breakfast buffet was more than basic, and very fresh and delicious. The only complaint we have (not about the hostel itself), is that there are a large number of Chinese tourists of all ages who check-in and behave rather rudely. They are loud, hog the breakfast buffet in groups, pack their lunch, dinner, milk, coffee, tea, and even water from the breakfast buffet in spite of clear instructions not to do so. Some of them are enterprising enough to have breakfast when the buffet opens and then 'brunch' just before close of buffet. For other guests this means more wait time, inconvenience, annoyance, and presumably increased costs. I wish the hostel could do something to control this unruly behavior. Otherwise, the hostel in itself is lovely and I'd highly recommend this place to all travelers.

Room Tip: Take a room with your own WC and shower to save time.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yofobubu
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Youth Hostel is the best accommodation in our tour. We had low expectations since it was a hostel, but to our surprise, it's even better than most hotels! Everything was great, from the food to the room and the service! The beds were bunk beds very clean and made of pine. The restaurant was self-service, if you have diet allergies, the chef will prepare special food for you if they were advised ahead of time of your allergies. Really appreciated it! Staff was very helpful! The only downside of this hostel is that the wifi is only available at the lobby area and it's really slow. Train station and the shops are just walking distance, atm and money exchanger is just beside the hostel. We'll definitely go back and stay at this hostel when we're at Interlaken!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Youth Hostel is located right next to the Interlaken Ost station. All trains start, end or have this station as an intermediate stop which means you are well connected. However the main market is near the Interlaken West station which is about 15 mins walk from the hostel. The hostel has basic rooms. I and my wife took a room without a balcony. The room was clean and comfortable. However, it did not have any modern amenities like TV or refrigerator. That's why said its a proper hostel. The staff is very helpful. They charge a 6 CHF per person per night for persons who are non - members. Quite an expensive stay costing 278 CHF for 2 nights for 2 of us when i compare it to our other stay in Europe. I will recommend it for groups of 4 or more which works out to be lot cheaper.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I enjoyed our stay greatly with my family in 2012 Winter. There are a few reasons that this is my top choice for accommodation in Interlaken:

1. LOCATION: It's literally 2 minutes walk Interlaken Ost Station
2. Super clean, nice, ultra modern design
3. Low cost (compared to hotel of similar quality).

One important thing is to set your expectation right. Think of it as a hotel or a hotel quality hostel. So don't expect dirt cheap price for a night stay in a typical youth hostel in other country.

But if you compared the price of this with the price on an average hotel in Interlaken, you'll realize this is a great bargain.

The only difference is, you'll need to make your beds and return the linens at the counter upon check-out. But it's no big deal.

Wifi was only available in the lobby area. But it was a cool, and stylish hangout place. So the lack of in-room wifi was not a deal breaker.

We, a family of 4, booked a 4 bed with bathroom and balcony. Room was super spacious. Balcony gave a wonderful view.

Morning buffet breakfast ( included in the room price) was great. Visitors should consider having lunch or dinner here as well because the quality is good and price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Rooms with private balcony is highly recommended.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family