“Awesome location! ”

Interlaken Youth Hostel
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We chose interlaken ost station as our stopover before heading up to jungfrau. It turns out to be a wise one as we came from lucerne n in need of a short stopover to shorten the travelling time our next leg of the trip to jungfrau.

The hostel was situated just next to the train station just reasonable walking distance during cold winter. Its a simple, well lit building equipped with all essential u need. We are a family n frens with 4 adults n 2 kids. We stayed on level 2 or 3, cant remember exactly. Booked a bunk room with 6 beds. Its just cozy enough for us. Washroom n shower room was located outside (a bit hassle) but that's hostel not hotel so dont expect too much.

They have common dining on level 1 which has supply of water n microwave oven. We bought some food supplies from the supermarket next to the train station. Our stay includes simple breakfast consist of toast, cereal, ham, salami, hot drinks.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was our second time staying at Interlaken Hotels. We decided to stay here for the second time because we had very good experience the first time.

However, we were treated with hostility by the Chef in the cafeteria during dinner time.

The Chef (dinner time) in the cafeteria was very hostile. I felt that I was discriminated against by him. I was ordering dinner for our family at the cashier, another person cut the line in front of me occupying a lot of time. This caused a build up of a long line of people behind me. I patiently waited and didn't complain about anything.

The Chef (not the staff at the cashier) was staring at me from the side of the counter and probably thought I was the one holding up the line at the cashier. When I took the ordering receipt to the Chef, he gave me a condescending look. It was between 20:00 and 21:00 and the cafeteria was already pretty quiet and only one Chef was there at the food counter. Since I was ordering 6 hot meals and I knew it would take a few minutes and there was no one else ordering meals at the time, I told the chef that I will go to my table to leave my bag and will return to the chef counter immediately.

He said no, I had to wait and stand there and he angrily said, " This is self serve service!!" as if I was an uneducated outcast. Of course I knew it was self-serve service. I only wanted to go to the table to leave my bag and come back immediately to pick up my dishes but he didn't allow. There was no one else waiting for food at the kitchen counter. I ended up standing there for a while waiting for him to prepare the food. I didn't mind the waiting, but I did not appreciate his condescending attitude.

When talking to other people, he smiled and laughed when turning back to me, he immediately gave me the condescending look again as if I have committed come kind of crime. He threw the plates on the tray and used the cooking utensils to make unnecessary noises to express his discontentment about me when preparing the six hot dishes.

I tried to be extremely polite to him and that didn't change his attitude at all. Throughout the time, I followed the queue, waited patiently for my turn, I followed the Chef's instructions and waited there. I returned all dishes and trays and cleaned up the table after meal. I was polite, I said thanks, I didn't argue with the Chef about anything. I see no reason that I should be treated with the kind of hostility that the Chef displayed.

For an international facility where people of different ethnic background, sex and age meet and interact, Interlaken Youth Hostel should be a place to celebrate harmony and diversity but not discrimination or hatred.

Room Tip: Room with Balcony is the best.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank WayChai
Schweizer Jugen... S, Manager at Interlaken Youth Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear WayChai

First of all we would like to thank you for taking time to send us your feedback.

We are very sorry for the negative experience you had to go through. There is no excuse for such a behaviour and we will look into the situation.
We really appreciate that you gave us the information, this is the only chance we have to improve our services in the future.

Thank you for writing us in a very friendly manner! We hope that you still come back and visit us again in the future. We would feel very happy to welcoming you again.

Best regards

Restaurant 3a / Interlaken Youth Hostel

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I spent one night at this hostel this March, and it was a positive experience.

Pros:
-Extremely convenient location right next to the train station, perfect for travel around the region.
-Friendly staff. I had to leave really early in the morning, before the breakfast was served, and once the gentleman checking me in learned about it, he offered to prepare a to-go snacks bag for me to replace the missed breakfast. I didn't ask for it, he mentioned it on his own, which was very thoughtful.
-Clean, modern building. Large lockers in the rooms. Nice "living room" area, plus other communal rooms.

Cons:
-The only negative aspect of my stay was that I was placed in the room with 2 guys, rather than with other girls. I thought it a little strange that with the hostel half-empty during the off season the staff would place guests in co-ed rooms, when it could have been easily avoided for everybody's convenience. 2 more girls were assigned to our room later in the evening, but upon learning that it's co-ed they went back to the front desk and requested to be relocated. I could have done that myself as well, but by the time I learned that my roommates were guys I have already unpacked and so didn't feel like bothering with moving. It wasn't a big deal- I guess I am just saying that you may want to consider asking about that as you check in to avoid this situation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Its nicely put together hostel.. the booking was very easy and also the hostel is well placed from the train station.. We had breakfast included in our package which was just awesome.... The rooms are a bit small but that is what you bargained for right ;)

Even the walk alongside the hostel is nice.. the staff is very helpful..

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here two years running, both times have been fantastic. The hotel is located right next to Interlaken Ost. Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed at for comfort / security. The dormitories are spacious and clean. Not a noisy hostel (everyone tends to keep to themselves). Good breakfast and excellent value relative to other accommodation options in Interlaken. Definitely a great place to base yourself for exploring Interlaken and the Jungfrau region.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were a group of 3 lodging in Interlaken Youth Hostel last end of October. The Hotel is nice, well-located and good staff in the reception. But I had a horrible experience in the restaurant with the Chef. When we arrived, the receptionist told us that we could bring food from outside and eating there in designated tables for that using plates and cutlery from the restaurant, it was the some in Lucern and Zúrich Youth Hostels without problems.
We had the dinner from the Restaurant in the youth Hostel the first night but it was nothing special, for this reason, we brought food from outside the second night and I asked for cutlery and plates in to the Chef in the restaurant, he was really rude and disgusting but he gave me that. When I was walking to the table, my friends saw him looking at my and making negative gestures in a very bad manner, i felt really bad when they told me that. After that, I was looking at him and I realised that he was very unpolite with people coming from outside Swiss or not looking like from northern Europe, I felt a clear racist actitude from him.
On the next morning I told what had happened at the reception and they were very sorried and asked me for apologise, and the receptionist told me that it has not been the first time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grancanaria8
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Youth Hostel / Jugendherberge Interlaken impressed me a lot. We booked a couple's room and we were very impressed. The property appears brand new and we had a lovely view from our balcony. Prices were very reasonable by Swiss standards and I could literally slide from my balcony on to the train platform if I had a slide. The staff were very friendly, although not as friendly as the staff from Jugendherberge Zurich. Wifi access in the lobby area is complimentary and works quite well. The breakfast buffet was more than basic, and very fresh and delicious. The only complaint we have (not about the hostel itself), is that there are a large number of Chinese tourists of all ages who check-in and behave rather rudely. They are loud, hog the breakfast buffet in groups, pack their lunch, dinner, milk, coffee, tea, and even water from the breakfast buffet in spite of clear instructions not to do so. Some of them are enterprising enough to have breakfast when the buffet opens and then 'brunch' just before close of buffet. For other guests this means more wait time, inconvenience, annoyance, and presumably increased costs. I wish the hostel could do something to control this unruly behavior. Otherwise, the hostel in itself is lovely and I'd highly recommend this place to all travelers.

Room Tip: Take a room with your own WC and shower to save time.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple